• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Porcupine Problems

Tallahassee

NES Member
What can I use for bait to trap a porcupine? I have one that has been waddling up my front porch, and chewing on everything, including my front door. Fifteen years living in the woods, never had one of these little bastards start eating my house and furniture.

At my place up north there are plenty of porcupines and they chew everything. When I was building and running off generator power I watched one bite a new extension cord a dozen times that was energized and zapping himself before I killed him. Each time he bit the line the generator would surge (which had me go looking for the reason.) Another time one sampled rear brake hose on my new pick up.

I kill a dozen or so a year.

I don’t know how to bait them. Never tried.

I have put out a scrap piece of 3/4 plywood with newly sawn edges so it has fresh wood smell. Usually it attracts them to chew on. I screw a short piece of 2 x3 underneath so board would rock. If the porcupine chewing on it didn’t wake me the clumping of board did.

Unfortunately once one starts chewing in an area they seem to keep returning until killed. They aren’t quick, you can run them down and club if needed.

A gate or other barrier at bottom or top of steps will often discourage them. Even though they can easily climb over or around barrier they usually don’t. I suspect they become alarmed at change rather than difficulty.

I tried salt and apples, forgot what website listed that, but it had no interest. I did give it a strong love tap with a shovel two days ago, it must have liked it because it came back. Trying not to shoot it that early in the morning, the porcupine in the house would frown upon that. But, if I continue to fail at trapping it, she will have to get over it. The little bastard better stay away from my apple trees.

Great! Just what we need- a porcupine plague for 2020. [banana]

There's an unofficial and completely unapproved word of mouth policy to whack those things if they are seen at my club. Too many hunting dogs have had to have a vet dig out the quills. Occasionally they waddle out of the woods and across my yard. We have a very active & alpha GSD with a strong hunting instinct & one evening I was fully expecting her to tangle with one. Also a very smart dog and she 'nope'd!' at about 10 feet away.

Well, I got one early this morning, melon rind did the trick. Then I noticed another waddle off into the woods. Must be the porcupine apocalypse.
Awesome. Yeah, it seems it is a magnet for them. Found that out while trying to get a woodchuck years back . . . woodchucks which allegedly were supposed to be attracted to melon rind. It was a f-n magnet for the porcupines. Woodchucks, not so much.

If he’s chewing your door that means the selfish little bastard isn’t wearing a mask.

Someone needs to report him to Maura’s hotline

#wereallinthistogether

/sarc

I have never seen this much wildlife around the property before. Had a moose this morning in the front yard, a bear a few times last week. Deer have been prancing around for months. I can deal with those. But, the porcupines, squirrels, and chipmunks; they gotta go. I may run out of 22 at my current rate of usage.

Back
Top Bottom