Bass Pro-On the wrong side of the AG already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sigh...

My view on this is that if the dealer didn't call the AG's office, then Bass Pro would have been hit even harder (shut down completely?) when the FA10s for Glocks and Kimbers started piling in. Delaying the inevitable by 2-3 days. I'm sure the dealer didn't do it for BP's benefit (and please don't tell me he should have called the store: "hey, I know you're our competitors but you can't sell Glocks here") - but it was going to happen, the only thing that changed was how long it would take. If Bass Pro had gone a full week selling these guns, I don't think they would have their MA Dealer's license anymore.

Out of pure curiosity, I am wondering which dealer did it. And it so happens that if that dealer is someone I consider to be a reputable dealer with fair pricing and good customer service, I'd probably still go to their shop.

You're targeting the wrong person here. The AG's office is the entity to be pissed at, not the dealer. I understand the outrage that many here are feeling, but the fact is that Bass Pro did something illegal and its probably a good thing for the store that they did get caught so fast.

I realize that my stance on the dealer may be unpopular, but that's my opinion. Everyone is free to make their own choice on the matter.

I truly think that we should support all of the local gun right organizations and give what we can to continue the fight.

We think it's easy as armchair quarterbacks but I'm willing to bet you there are a lot of small fires that get put out in the gun rights forest each and every month.

Please don't let our rights burn away, support your local Gun.org

I would have liked to have BP sell many more Glocks that would have made their fight worthwhile, they have the lawyers and could afford to pay them to fight these ridiculous laws and we would ALL benefit, gun shop owners and customers alike.

But we will never know now because of some selfish ass-wipe who is a greedy little troll and thinks that a shop nearby is going to wipe them out, I say NOW...he gets what's coming to him whoever he is.

It's not the gun sales that would put him under because NO ONE was selling NEW Glocks en mass, it would have been much better for us as gun owners if he were to let this fly and see what happened.

I truly think that we should support all of the local gun right organizations and give what we can to continue the fight.

We think it's easy as armchair quarterbacks but I'm willing to bet you there are a lot of small fires that get put out in the gun rights forest each and every month.

I would have liked to have BP sell many more Glocks that would have made their fight worthwhile, they have the lawyers and could afford to pay them to fight these ridiculous laws and we would ALL benefit, gun shop owners and customers alike.

But we will never know now because of some selfish ass-wipe who is a greedy little troll and thinks that a shop nearby is going to wipe them out, I say NOW...he gets what's coming to him whoever he is.

It's not the gun sales that would put him under because NO ONE was selling NEW Glocks en mass, it would have been much better for us as gun owners if he were to let this fly and see what happened.

+1,000,000

The thing is that they would never have gotten that far. The second BP started sending FA10s in with new Glocks on them, CHSB would have contacted the AG's office about it.

Right on!!!

Fred

Bottom line is we all (Gun owners AND Dealers) fight together or we go down individually.

Maybe if the "powers that be" at BP realize now that they can indeed challenge the AG's "BS-secret list in court. It might be incentive for them to look further this.

The thing is that they would never have gotten that far. The second BP started sending FA10s in with new Glocks on them, CHSB would have contacted the AG's office about it.

And you know that for sure? That the computer system that is in use is that up to date and the data entry people know what they are inputting into the computer.[hmmm]

Right and I only by 1 gun a week [rofl].

Fred

My view on this is that if the dealer didn't call the AG's office, then Bass Pro would have been hit even harder (shut down completely?) when the FA10s for Glocks and Kimbers started piling in.

I agree that it would have just taken a little longer, yes... however,
I think it would have come from a "direct sting" more than records
auditing. I don't think the AG's office has access to those
records quite as readily as one would be lead to believe. IIRC
last time the AG got records from CHSB, they had to have the
name and address of the buyers redacted. I'm not sure this is
from a legal standpoint (eg, the AG had to justify obtaining the information)
or if it was due to a turf battle between the AG and the CHSB. If
one thinks deeply enough, it's easy to see why CHSB would not like the
AG's office intermeddling in its affairs, considering that constant AG
incursions could, at a minimum ruin the quality of the data that is
being input into their system.

-Mike

Maybe if the "powers that be" at BP realize now that they can indeed challenge the AG's "BS-secret list in court. It might be incentive for them to look further this.

They F'ed up. They also sold stuff that was NOT on the EOPS list. That overshadows the AG crap.

sigh...

My view on this is that if the dealer didn't call the AG's office, then Bass Pro would have been hit even harder (shut down completely?) when the FA10s for Glocks and Kimbers started piling in. Delaying the inevitable by 2-3 days. I'm sure the dealer didn't do it for BP's benefit (and please don't tell me he should have called the store: "hey, I know you're our competitors but you can't sell Glocks here") - but it was going to happen, the only thing that changed was how long it would take. If Bass Pro had gone a full week selling these guns, I don't think they would have their MA Dealer's license anymore.

Out of pure curiosity, I am wondering which dealer did it. And it so happens that if that dealer is someone I consider to be a reputable dealer with fair pricing and good customer service, I'd probably still go to their shop.

You're targeting the wrong person here. The AG's office is the entity to be pissed at, not the dealer. I understand the outrage that many here are feeling, but the fact is that Bass Pro did something illegal and its probably a good thing for the store that they did get caught so fast.

I realize that my stance on the dealer may be unpopular, but that's my opinion. Everyone is free to make their own choice on the matter.

Though I agree with your right to have your own opinion, (of course), I do differ in that the dealer indeed should have called Bass Pro Shops directly, rather than ratting them out. This isn't ping-pong balls at Wal-Mart we're talking about here. This is a highly regulated and fairly hated item in this state. There are many elected officials that would use instances like this to tighten the noose further on the already insane and inept laws here.

Whether big or small, dealers should be looking out for one another and ultimately - looking after their customers. The dealer in question was self-absorbed in my opinion and looking to "stick it" to Bass Pro Shops, (or worse yet, is a shill for the Attorney General - a modern day Unger). I got that feeling just looking at his website.

The bottom line is that a good-faith and good neighbor approach to Bass Pro Shops would have gained him more in the way of respect and perhaps business than being a rat for his own gain. If he'd rat out Bass Pro, how far of a leap would it be to compromise his own customers for his own gain or self interest???

Bottom line is we all (Gun owners AND Dealers) fight together or we go down individually.

AMEN to that!

It would have taken the state MONTHS to catch up with it! They don't care, if they did you would get a call every time a replacement frame or newer ser. showed up but you don't, ya know why? cause some of those are perfectly legal for us to own.
It's bullshit plain and simple, jealous gun shop owners should be closed down. Then, maybe someone with some sense could take those shops over and actually CARE about the state of our customers and the way the state regulations treat us.

Next time you are at the gunshow with a pocket full of cash to buy some ammo, stop by and buy the folks at the GOAL table some ammo (in the form of a donation) to fight for our rights on the front line.

The bottom line is that a good-faith and good neighbor approach to Bass Pro Shops would have gained him more in the way of respect and perhaps business than being a rat for his own gain. If he'd rat out Bass Pro, how far of a leap would it be to compromise his own customers for his own gain or self interest???
AMEN !!![cheers]

I agree that the issue could have been handled better. However, if you think Bass Pro is here to help us fight the unfair, idiotic gun laws you are mistaken. There are not too many businesses willing to incur legal fees above and beyond what they already incurred just to open the business doors. Why should Bass Pro jump into a conflict with the Attorney General or MA licensing officials? What kind of business plan is that? There are too many guns on the "unavailable in MA list". It's been that way for years. Let's hope Bass Pro doesn't decide to stop stocking firearms and firearm accessories due to the twisted MA gun laws.
There are many individuals who have been wrongly denied LTC's or as it is in Boston, LTC's with a "No Conceal Carry" restriction. GOAL is not interested in individual member's problems. They are not financially strong enough to help individuals. They concentrate on lobbying, advocating new legislation and keeping members informed. Individuals are left to fend for themselves hoping that they will be able to celebrate a small victory over oppressive Licensing Officials. I support GOAL in its mission and I understand why they have the limits they do. All of you folks living in Greenland, count your blessings.
Best Regards.

Mike, how large is this MA gun dealers assc? I imagine it's not a large group and probably doesn't include a lot of MA dealers.

ETA: There are dealers in this state who won't support it's own States Gun org. Why you wouldn't want to protect your customer base is beyond me. [thinking]

Here is a link to the National Association with some info and the various state affiliations including MA.

http://www.nafr.org/Partners/index.cfm

And I am sure everytime you buy something online or in NH with no sale tax you tell MA about it when it is time to fill out your taxes???

Those diesels are only prohibited as new cars. You can register a used diesel in Massachusetts. (I believe that there is some minimum odo requirement -- on the order of 5,000 or 7,500 miles, just to prevent pretext sales.)

Emissions.

http://www.mass.gov/dep/air/community/dieselqa.htm

Now unlike firearms, you could buy one out of state and bring it in. You would however have to still pay MA sales tax if you do it within 6 months of purchasing it. I actually saw that some VW dealer in MA was selling "MA Legal TDI Touareg"s; but they are probably over 8,500 lbs GVW.

Actually, you are wrong. You better go read the 830 CMR's and the MGL 64H and 64I. The Commissioner can still assess the sales tax on a vehicle even if it was purchased outside of the Commonwealth and used within the Commonwealth ten months later.

You are confusing an issue regarding burden of proof with the issue of taxability.

Its possible a large number of forms might be noticed at the FRB. But, .... I'd bet that there's at
least one fa10 for an off-list/non AG approved gun that hasn't drawn any response from Chelsea for
a year. (winkwinknudgenudge).
GC

Its possible a large number of forms might be noticed at the FRB. But, .... I'd bet that there's at
least one fa10 for an off-list/non AG approved gun that hasn't drawn any response from Chelsea for
a year. (winkwinknudgenudge).
GC
Oh God, NO! Someone reading that might lose some sleep tonight!

I think anyone who is a dealer, or employees of dealers should eliminate themselves from this conversation, as I don't believe there are any altruistic reasons for your comments.

At the same time I appreciate C-Pher's insight, but I have the feeling people are acting like HE has some control in this issue.

"Bubble bubble, toil and trouble. What kind of trouble will we receive, when first we practice to deceive."

Also funny to me how someone claims to have gotten it from the horses mouth TODAY, when most of the shops I know about are closed on Mondays.

Careful what you post here 50 BMG, you might get accused of dealing guns illegally!!!!!!

Hey, where's my ..."he's a pain in the butt smilie"? LOLOL

I hate private jokes..... LOLOL

Last edited:
^^^

And the EOPS stuff is actual law, not regulations.

Really?

Define, if you can, "actual law."

Then explain how regulations implemented by EOPS are "actual law," while those implemented under the exact same process by the AG are not.

This ought to be very entertaining. [rolleyes]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom