Bass Pro-On the wrong side of the AG already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might as well put this out there because I know someone will....

AwwJeez.jpg

Can't get enough of using that pic.[smile]

When the BassPro building was under construction, any and all MA orgs that protect gun owners, fishermen, hunters, etc. SHOULD have contacted BP Corporate, introduced themselves, offered BP membership and coaching on our insane laws here.

I have no idea if this was done by any such org, but due to what happened, I seriously doubt it.

Other than GOAL, all the other orgs are probably made up of small shops and they are scared to death of competition from a "big box store" (look what happens every time Wal-Mart tries to locate a store), thus they don't welcome the new big store to the fold, but watch to see what they can nail them on and drop a dime instantly.

So if the call was made representing an association or strictly representing the dealer himself, it was wrong either way and just as reprehensible.

So if the call was made representing an association or strictly representing the dealer himself, it was wrong either way and just as reprehensible.

I think we are all beyond the 'IF" stage and realize that that 'dealer' did do just that. I would'nt buy cleaning rags from such a 'dealer'.

I am another one who would like to know who this dealer was.

I have no intention of posting the name. its unlikely I would patronise that shop anyway because I live out in North Central Ma. but I want to be sure not to ever give a dime of my hard earned cash to them.

I am another one who would like to know who this dealer was.

I have no intention of posting the name. its unlikely I would patronise that shop anyway because I live out in North Central Ma. but I want to be sure not to ever give a dime of my hard earned cash to them.

What he said. Could someone please PM me so I can be assured I spend my money elsewhere?

They were selling all kinds of Glocks along with Springfield Armory XDs and other handguns not on the list. From what I heard they sold over 50 before they were shut down. They've supposedly got 40 or so back, but some have kept the guns they bought as there is no law saying they have to return them.

It's an interesting story on how they got caught.

That's just funny right there... I love your humor.

I wish I had gotten one of the Kimbers they were selling before the AG found out.

If I'm not mistaken, Bass Pro doesn't carry Kimber.

I heard that the store manager had come from Rhode Island and was unaware of the AG's lists. But I have no way of verifying this.

It's not the call of the Manager, this information would have come from corporate, so it doesn't matter where the manager is from. But yes, he's aware of the laws.

Mikey, Masnee is right. What I meant was, I don't want illegal guns because of an AG.

I don't want THEIR approval, I just want it legal, and that includes silencers and full auto.

Massnee, thanks for the support.

Sorry, the comment just took me by suprise.

I for one don't want a Kimber because someone makes a mistake. I want one I can have with full knowledge and approval of my government.

On the other hand, I'll gladly take a hard to obtain gun when
someone makes a mistake in my favor (knowingly or otherwise)
etc... I can't see the point of squandering a lost opportunity if it
does arise- especially when such guns are otherwise possession
legal. It's one of the few ways we can give the AG the middle
finger. I don't see the regs going away unless a bunch of gun
dealers and companies band together to sue the shit out of the
AG, for obstruction of commerce or something like that.

I don't want the government to "approve" of anything I own- I
want them to bug off and not be allowed to have a say in the
matter at all. [laugh]

-Mike

C-Pher,
By rumor at least, it appears that Bass Pro sold some number guns it should not have. Could you give some inside information on what you think/know really happened? I can understand if you can't do that at this time.

Respectfully,

jkelly

C-pher,
Thanks for info!

I love the RI AG thing. :)

Respectfully,

jkelly

Dealer

Since everyone apparently knows who this dealer is already except me... if someone would send me a quick IM I'd appreciate it.
Me too.
If all the Dealers in this state just ignored the AG and sold the banned guns anyways
and then joined together and sued the AG then maybe we could get this injustice corrected.

C-Pher,
By rumor at least, it appears that Bass Pro sold some number guns it should not have. Could you give some inside information on what you think/know really happened? I can understand if you can't do that at this time.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I was told by a reliable source that 4 Glocks were sold. (Mostly confirmed by C-Pher) One of which was sold to LE, two of the others had been returned as of friday, leaving only one outstanding.

Since everyone apparently knows who this dealer is already except me... if someone would send me a quick IM I'd appreciate it.

Could someone PM me the name also. I would like to know the correct party, instead of jumping to conclusions.

TIA
Gary

My practice is to stay out of food fights. I should probably adhere to that practice here, too, but:

1. I think everyone should calm down a minute.

2. The bad guy here is neither Bass Pro nor the other gun shops; our angst should be directed at a set of statutes and AG behavior that misdirects anti-crime animus at legitimate gun owners, burdening our sport for no valid reason.

3. As near as I can tell, Bass Pro has made a huge effort to provide a nice store, both for the company's benefit and for ours. If they glitched here and there on opening day, well, who amongst us hasn't?

4. On the other hand, if all of the other gun dealers have to abide by a set of rules that constrains their business, they are well within their rights (legally and ethically) at insisting that all in same situation play by the same rules.

5. In this context, we the gun owners and we the gun dealers are all in the same boat with the same interests; it doesn't do us any good to fight amongst ourselves.

My practice is to stay out of food fights. I should probably adhere to that practice here, too, but:

2. The bad guy here is neither Bass Pro nor the other gun shops; our angst should be directed at a set of statutes and AG behavior that misdirects anti-crime animus at legitimate gun owners, burdening our sport for no valid reason.

3. As near as I can tell, Bass Pro has made a huge effort to provide a nice store, both for the company's benefit and for ours. If they glitched here and there on opening day, well, who amongst us hasn't?

4. On the other hand, if all of the other gun dealers have to abide by a set of rules that constrains their business, they are well within their rights (legally and ethically) at insisting that all in same situation play by the same rules.

5. In this context, we the gun owners and we the gun dealers are all in the same boat with the same interests; it doesn't do us any good to fight amongst ourselves.

I tend to agree with most of your posts and this one as well.. except for #4. A rat is a rat. At least the way it's been "explained" here.

You know, another FFL I spoke with had a different opinion on the matter ...............

Wouldn't it have been nice if Bass Pro went about there merry way, selling oodles of Glocks and other non AG blessed hardware for a period of many months. It would have been wonderful for them to sell hundreds of them, better yet thousands. Then have the AG step in an whollup them with a real fine! Perhaps with that kind of investment in the issue they would become motivated to "fight the fight". The way it played out however, I doubt they will do a dam thing other than comply.
[sad2]

+1

I'd like to offer one more perspective on this, if you'll all indulge me.

I was there at BassPro the night of the Grand Opening. I saw the handguns in question. I also know enough about the law to have pointed out to several BassPro employees and some friends I had with me that these were not on the MA approved list and how could BP be selling them.

While I could have purchased one or more and kept my mouth shut, I didn't. Why?

One word only and the ONE thing nobody can take away from you: Integrity

No matter what the laws are and how much we disagree with them as law-abiding citizens of the Commonwealth we are required to obey them. (Something criminals don't do ... no matter how many laws they pass.)

What good, what kind of example does it set for supposedly law-abiding firearm owners to knowingly violate the law and purchase a firearm known to be illegal in MA? What does that say about us?

Just like what is taught in Hunter Education: Doing the RIGHT thing even when nobody is looking.

This is what should set us apart from the rest of the crowd. Those who knowingly did the wrong thing - should do the right thing now and return the items purchased and prove to everyone in MA that the law-abiding gun owners of this state indeed have integirty. Otherwise, were no higher up the evolutionary chain than the common theif or criminal that roams the streets of Dorchester.

Last edited:
What good, what kind of example does it set for supposedly law-abiding firearm owners to knowingly violate the law and purchase a firearm known to be illegal in MA? What does that say about us?

Ron,
I think you've got it wrong.
The guns in question are NOT "illegal in MA" to own.
Dealers are prohibited from selling them, thats all.
Buying such a firearm does not make you a criminal that roams the streets of Dorchester.[laugh]

Last edited:
Ronbok- you need to realize that Glocks are not illegal to own in MA nor are they illegal to purchase! It's just that our AG will not let dealers sell new Glocks. Many people own newer Glocks in MA and they are NOT breaking any laws.

I won't argue the fact that the AG has not allowed new Glocks to be sold by dealers/FFLs however the fact that citizens can't buy them but LEO can is just a major joke. They are no less safe for us than they are for LEO.

Argh... here we go again. Ron, other than the weapons listed on the mis-named Assault Weapons Ban, there ARE no "illegal firearms" in MA - there are firearms that it is illegal for a DEALER to sell, but the purchaser commits NO CRIME in buying them.

Law?

While I could have purchased one or more and kept my mouth shut, I didn't. Why?

One word only and the ONE thing nobody can take away from you: Integrity

No matter what the laws are and how much we disagree with them as law-abiding citizens of the Commonwealth we are required to obey them. (Something criminals don't do ... no matter how many laws they pass.)

Just like what is taught in Hunter Education: Doing the RIGHT thing even when nobody is looking.

This is what should set us apart from the rest of the crowd. Those who knowingly did the wrong thing - should do the right thing now and return the items purchased and prove to everyone in MA that the law-abiding gun owners of this state indeed have integirty. Otherwise, were no higher up the evolutionary chain than the common theif or criminal that roams the streets of Dorchester.
If I was there I would have purchased a new Glock and told them to "F%^& off" when they told me to return it.

Ron,
I think you've got it wrong.
The guns in question are NOT "illegal in MA" to own.
Dealers are prohibited from selling them, thats all.
Buying such a firearm does not make you a criminal.

We could probably split hairs over this for days on end, but again knowingly purchasing one of these under the circumstances was just plain wrong in my opinion no matter who was at fault. The dealer or the buyer.

"I think your first mistake is to call the AG`s reg`s laws. It`s not a law. It was never voted on or passed by an elected body. It`s a regulation the AG dreamed up because he was and is anti-gun.
If I was there I would have purchased a new Glock and told them to "F%^& off" when they told me to return it."

We could probably split hairs over this for days on end, but again knowingly purchasing one of these under the circumstances (law or regulation) was just plain wrong in my opinion no matter who was at fault. The dealer or the buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom