Bass Pro-On the wrong side of the AG already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not agree that some of the wize men of the 20th centry like JJ Walker and Webster have been quoted many times?
Rodney King is just one of those misunderstood folks, kinda like Al Sharpton ..............[smile]

I'll shut up now.....[crying]

Is Ted's last name Zumbo?
Unfortunately, Zumbo is in a better position than Ted is. Where Zumbo made his comments from a genuinely ill-informed point of view, Ted did what he did from a profit based motive. Jim Zumbo is making good on his blunder by learning and talking about what he's learning - IE, the 2A uses of the Evil Black Rifle.

Ted, on the other hand... well, other than trying to resurrect the fight against the Attorney General's Gun Control Regulations - pardon me, "CONSUMER PROTECTION" regulations - I'm not sure HOW Ted can atone.
I've been in the shop in question a few times. It is a nice shop and the help, including the owner, is friendly.
Can't argue that - he was friendly, and it is a nice shop. However, it's obvious that he's more worried about harpooning the competition than he is about improving the business climate for ALL gun shops and/or gun owners.
Bass Pro is the equivalent of a Home Depot and Ted's place is the local hardware store.

Looked at that way, I find it hard to get too worked up about him dropping a dime on Bass Pro.
I don't. When a Home Despot came into Marlboro, the local hardware store expanded, adding more product and adding floor space and renting power tools and equipment. ONE LOOK would have been all Ted needed to know that his prices would be better than BPS. He could have advertised that fact, and he should have known that sooner or later, the AG would shut down the "Plastic Pipeline" and forced them to not sell Glocks... he could have weathered it easily. Or who knows? He might have suggested to BPS that they join forces with other stores to try and challenge the AG's illegal regulations. But he didn't - he made sure that the AG knew what was going on. And don't trot out the tired argument that the AG knew it from NES... TED didn't know that when he called, did he?

People seem to forget that Bass Pro Shops isn't a gun shop. It's more fishing than anything else...but it's an Outdoor Supplier.

Bass Pro doesn't think of the smaller Gun Shops as Competitors. Not like Home Depot or Lowe's looks at Aubuchon's or Ace.

Bass Pro looks at it's competitors as Colman Shops, Gander, LL Bean, Cabela's, Kittery, REI, and to some extent Dick's. Well, the Lodge...not Dick's as it's more geared toward Sports.

Shops like Ted's, Carl's, etc.. They know that they have better prices. They aren't really targeting those people. Bass Pro targets the traveling crowd. These are people that travel hundred of miles to come see this place. These are people that know that they have the largest selection of fishing equipment around. We don't have live bait, we would have sent them to someone local. Bass Pro Prides itself on supporting the surrounding business and area. Watch, you might be amazed.

Ted wasn't scared of Dick's, why should he have been scared of Bass Pro? It makes no sense. Just come in an look at our prices. They aren't cheaper, even though they could be because of mass volume ordering. Wal-mart has cheaper prices.

Like Keith said, even with the removing of the gun counter, this place will make a lot of money. They still have a large hunting clothing selection. Ted doesn't have that...it's needed in the area. They have a large Bow hunting section. I don't recall serious bows in Ted's shop. We have a large high end optics counter. I don't recall ever seeing Zeiss or Swarovski in Ted's.

This was an over reaction. As was said, before this, Ted had a good reputation. He had nothing to worry about. When I was talking to him before BPS opened. I told him that it was a different market...that he would be fine. I guess he chose not to listen.

That's about all I'm going to post on this. But I think that people are loosing site on what Bass Pro is, and what they were built here for... They weren't put in New England because they wanted to rule the world, and become the only gun shop in the area.

They wanted to bring a store that was needed. A store that had a selection of products that you had to drive hours too to get. Before this, you were driving to Freeport or Kittery Maine. Down to Hartford...there wasn't a store for a market that was here.

So, they built it... Again, I don't really think that most GUN dealers thought it was a threat. At least not from talking to them in person. Hell, even Ted said that he wasn't worried when I was talking to him. Maybe he was just trying to hide it...

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Zumbo is in a better position than Ted is. Where Zumbo made his comments from a genuinely ill-informed point of view, Ted did what he did from a profit based motive. Jim Zumbo is making good on his blunder by learning and talking about what he's learning - IE, the 2A uses of the Evil Black Rifle.

Ted, on the other hand... well, other than trying to resurrect the fight against the Attorney General's Gun Control Regulations - pardon me, "CONSUMER PROTECTION" regulations - I'm not sure HOW Ted can atone.

Can't argue that - he was friendly, and it is a nice shop. However, it's obvious that he's more worried about harpooning the competition than he is about improving the business climate for ALL gun shops and/or gun owners.

I don't. When a Home Despot came into Marlboro, the local hardware store expanded, adding more product and adding floor space and renting power tools and equipment. ONE LOOK would have been all Ted needed to know that his prices would be better than BPS. He could have advertised that fact, and he should have known that sooner or later, the AG would shut down the "Plastic Pipeline" and forced them to not sell Glocks... he could have weathered it easily. Or who knows? He might have suggested to BPS that they join forces with other stores to try and challenge the AG's illegal regulations. But he didn't - he made sure that the AG knew what was going on. And don't trot out the tired argument that the AG knew it from NES... TED didn't know that when he called, did he?

Of course what he did was from a profit-based motive! That is what "for profit" businesses do, isn't it? We like to think that someone running a for profit business will do the things that make life better for everyone, INCLUDING COMPETITORS. We also like to believe in Santa Claus.

Did everyone forget how much positive business BP will give him? Many people are intimidated by gun shops and are afraid to go in look around and ask questions, or may feel aquared. BP is a huge super sports store that not only has rifles like Dicks, but carries handguns. People will see these guns and ask, "How can I buy one of those". Ted stood a good chance of getting much business in the form of teaching new shooters. Once he has the students he then can show them other services that he can provide that large stores may not.

Some people have very bad tunnel vision. He has/had a choice;
Use BP to his advantage, work with them instead of against them, spread the good word on shooting sports, and educate

or

Rat them out, give yourself a bad name and reputation with current users and have BP send all there students to other training facilites....such as AFS.

Last edited:
Producttivity for NES'rs is way, way down this week.

Is this thread close to breaking any records? It has a ton of views and posts in a very short time.

It is like a train wreck, I just can't pull myself away.....

My last comment:

I think we should, as a group, step back and look in the mirror. Ever wonder why the gun-owners never get that much accomplished politically? Perhaps because we eat our own.

what_me_worry.jpg

Ever wonder why the gun-owners never get that much accomplished politically? Perhaps because we eat our own.
IMHO I disagree. I think the reason this thread has seen so much traffic is because Ted's actions were not in gun owners interest. I personally think most gun owners would go to great lengths to NOT stab each other in the back. As gun owners in this God forsaking state we should be looking out for each other and not betraying others for our own financial gain.

So just so everything is legal and above board. Let's pretend that I knew someone who had bought a new gun from a dealer in the last 6 months. And let's pretend the owner of the store was named, oh let's say "Ted". And the gun happened to have 2 high cap mags with it. I should:
a.) Tell my friend to turn himself in.
b.) Tell him to go back to the dealer and say. "What the #$%@ is going on here"?
c.) Call the Attorney Generals office.
d.) Mind my own business.

Honestly- I'd tell him to get rid of them- sell them to someone in NH or something. Possession of these IS a felony.

I personally think most gun owners would go to great lengths to NOT stab each other in the back.
Huh?

Have you not heard shotgunners or hunters say "I don't know why anyone would own an assault weapon"?

Have you not heard target shooters say "I can't understand why anyone would want to slaughter an innocent animal"?

Have you not heard firearm hunters say "I would never use a bow and arrow -- I can't understand why someone would want to torture an animal by stabbing it with an arrow"?

I've heard all of the above. I agree with RKG. We eat our own.

I've never been to the gun store in question. I've never met the owner. I think he made a mistake. I suspect he's very sorry for that mistake. I don't think it is in our best interest to stop doing business with him. I think he's already learned his lesson and we need more good gun stores, not less.

Originally Posted by M1911
?

And you guys have very big appetites as well....
I agree, we eat our own. I'd hate to have some of you sit as jurors if I ever was unfortunate enough to have to face one.
Best Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
So just so everything is legal and above board. Let's pretend that I knew someone who had bought a new gun from a dealer in the last 6 months. And let's pretend the owner of the store was named, oh let's say "Ted". And the gun happened to have 2 high cap mags with it. I should:
a.) Tell my friend to turn himself in.
b.) Tell him to go back to the dealer and say. "What the #$%@ is going on here"?
c.) Call the Attorney Generals office.
d.) Mind my own business.

e. Check to see if they are pre-ban mags that can be ordered for Paras. [wink]

None of your examples involve calling a state agency on someone for financial gain. Apples to oranges.
You're right. They involve telling organizations like the Boston Globe "I'm a gun owner/hunter/member of a gun club, etc. that no one should be able to own an "assault rifle" or carry a concealed handgun, etc.". But that's a completely different kind of thing and not injurious to gun owners.

Or not.

Huh?

Have you not heard shotgunners or hunters say "I don't know why anyone would own an assault weapon"?

Have you not heard target shooters say "I can't understand why anyone would want to slaughter an innocent animal"?

Have you not heard firearm hunters say "I would never use a bow and arrow -- I can't understand why someone would want to torture an animal by stabbing it with an arrow"?

And everyone shits on the the black sheep of the family... the action shooters ;o)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom