Barrios Leaving office

We'll have reason to celebrate once we find out if his Coupe'ness can name a successor. If he can and does, then put the black arm bands back on.

Then you must not be familiar with the records of Cheryl Jacques, Tom Reilly or Scott Harshbarger, to name but three.

Four...

David Linsky (IMHO, easily the worst out of the whole bunch of rotten apples).

More info...

GOAL is right on top of it. [smile]

BARRIOS TO LEAVE SENATE FOR BLUE CROSS GROUP

By Jim O’Sullivan
and Michael P. Norton
STATE HOUSE NEWS SERVICE

STATE HOUSE, BOSTON, MAY 22, 2007….Sen. Jarrett Barrios has accepted an offer from the Blue Cross Blue Shield Foundation of Massachusetts to become its next president, he said this afternoon.

Asked outside a Senate budget caucus if he'd accepted the post, which wields millions of dollars annually in grants, Barrios said, "Pending negotiations of details, yes." Asked later about his new salary, Barrios replied, “It’s not set yet.”

The move pulls from the Senate one of its most vocal and progressive members, a 38-year-old openly gay Democrat viewed as one of the Legislature’s fast climbers, a press-savvy lawmaker from a politically active district. Barrios said he would remain in the Senate through July.

During a brief interview in his State House office, Barrios said he planned to give up both his Senate seat – which touches Cambridge, Everett, Somerville, Chelsea, Revere, Saugus, and Boston – and his law practice. He declined to rule out a future run for office, but said it wouldn’t be soon.

Asked about his decision to leave the Senate, Barrios replied, “I ran for office for the same reason I’m excited to be president of this foundation – the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of people, particularly our most vulnerable citizens.”

A memorandum on foundation stationery dated today from senior vice president Fredi Shonkoff and obtained by the News Service proclaimed Barrios “an effective voice for low income people” with “a particular interest in health care access and disparities. Needless to say, the Foundation Board is enthusiastic about its new selection … We expect a story to run in the Globe tomorrow.”

Rumors of Barrios’s departure have swirled for weeks, and he is often mentioned as a prospective candidate for other offices. Last year, the former state representative ran for district attorney before dropping out of a race eventually won by Gerard Leone.

His decision opens a second contiguous state Senate seat. Voters in Boston, Revere, Winthrop, and Cambridge will choose Senate President Robert Travaglini’s successor during a special election next week.

During his tenure, Barrios showed a knack for garnering media attention, often proposing legislative action in tune with current affairs. Last year, he drew derision for trying to amend a junk-food bill by cutting down on the use of the marshmallow spread Fluff in public schools.

Many of Barrios’ Democratic colleagues, on their way into this afternoon's pre-budget debate caucus in Senate President Therese Murray's office, said they were unaware of any impending departure. As the caucus continued and Barrios arrived, he was congratulated by a group of lobbyists and Sen. Cynthia Creem.

Later, as the caucus broke up, colleagues joked with Barrios that he should stay in touch for campaign contribution purposes.

Barrios last week attended a health care summit hosted by the foundation, which acknowledged the work of outgoing chairwoman Nancy Turnbull. He is a member of the foundation's board, which is chaired by former state Democratic Party chief Phil Johnston.

http://www.goal.org/chairleaves.htm

Later, as the caucus broke up, colleagues joked with Barrios that he should stay in touch for campaign contribution purposes.

NOT a joke at all!

This is indeed why politicians are hired into these lobbying jobs. The skids get greased both ways and with ease! [rolleyes]

Not only are they more hostile about guns, they were more effective, which is even worse.

The only thing that saved us for Cheryl II was rain election day. Remember how they decided to hold the election for her office as part of the Democratic primary? The only problem was it rained so only highly motivated voters made it to the polls, letting Scott Brown win by 292 or so votes.

The only thing that saved us for Cheryl II was rain election day. Remember how they decided to hold the election for her office as part of the Democratic primary? The only problem was it rained so only highly motivated voters made it to the polls, letting Scott Brown win by 292 or so votes.

Scott never ran against Cheryl. He ran against her aide, Angus McQuilken - twice.

Cheryl left the Senate to run for Congress, and lost.

I thought she quit her Senate position to take the job as president of the HRC then later on quit that position (some say she was dismissed), due to conflicting differences of opinion?

Here is Cheryl Jacques contact information. I will be emailing her a nasty note later one as this seems to be a good time to tell her off for what she did in 1998 to Taxachusetts.

Mail
1937 Biltmore Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009

[email protected]

http://www.cheryljacques.org/contact.html

Yeah, a rant 9 years after the fact to someone who is no longer even a public official will be real beneficial..... [rolleyes]

Then you must not be familiar with the records of Cheryl Jacques, Tom Reilly or Scott Harshbarger, to name but three.

I'm actually familiar with all three. My point is that the chances of someone of this ilk being elected into Barrios' seat are slim. You named three potentially worse legislators. Three out of how many possible candidates? No doubt it is unlikely that anyone elected from Barrios' district would be gun friendly, but I also doubt that they would rise to Barrios' level of anti-gun activism.

As JimB said, this is good news - enjoy the day.

Scott never ran against Cheryl. He ran against her aide, Angus McQuilken - twice.

Scrivener is right (of course) Scott never ran against Cheryl. As a matter of fact, I think it was Cheryl's announcement that she was not seeking reelection that pushed Scott into the race at that time.

Scott is a good guy, and is on our side with 2A issues. Whatever led to it, I'm damn glad he is there and not her, or Angus for that matter.

This is a bit off topic, but speaking of Cheryl Fakes reminded me, and I wanted to share this story.

My sister, a flaming liberal, brought her son, my nephew to a public appearance of Cheryl Jacques, her local State Rep in Millis.

When my Sister and nephew, Chris got to the head of the line and Maryellen shook hands with Cheryl, my nephew threw up on Cheryl's shoes.

I love that kid!!!!

When my Sister and nephew, Chris got to the head of the line and Maryellen shook hands with Cheryl, my nephew threw up on Cheryl's shoes.

I love that kid!!!!
You need to do something nice for the kid... like, say, take him shooting.

Don't tell his mom, though... DAHMIK. [smile]

I was referring to Angus when I used the term "Cheryl II" in my post. I considered him a Cheryl II since he studied under her for years, and was prepared to make gun control of of, if not the, primary focuses of his office.

Many MA politicians will vote with the likes of Cheryl, but few (even amongst those rated "F") use the bulk of their efforts to file and promote gun control bill - most are content simply to vote for such bills when the come along.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom