Attorney/Lawyer what do people use?

Was there not a youtube clip posted here recently where a law professor and former criminal defense lawyer stated to not talk to the police...ever? No matter how trivial the question is.

Kicker was that he then invited a police detective up to give his view...and he stated the same thing!

you mean, this video:
[video=youtube_share;6wXkI4t7nuc]http://youtu.be/6wXkI4t7nuc[/video]

But speaking of fantasy worlds, to those who parrot the mantra "Don't say anything without your attorney" remember that a lawyer is not going to save your butt in every instance. Even Kevin Reddington has lost a few.
Nice strawman argument, counselor. And not a good way to convince people that you aren't trolling.

Of course YOU can talk to the police without calling a lawyer - You're a friggin' lawyer.

However, giving the same advice to people here is doing them a disservice.

Have you read some of the posts here? Seriously. Take and hour or two, browse the forum, and read what people think. Then, pick a few of your favorites and imagine them talking to the police after shooting someone.

Is it really that hard for you to imagine that someone might say something that would get them in trouble? Your advice on this matter is worth exactly what people are paying for it.

I don't mean to denigrate anyone here, most of you are my friends, and please don't take this the wrong way, but a bunch of you guys would talk your way right into Cedar Junction if given the chance.

Fair enough. But I've been on this forum since I got my LTC and have found the vast majority of posters to be intelligent, thoughtful and articulate when not BSing, flaming or just intentionally goofing around.

Fair enough. But I've been on this forum since I got my LTC and have found the vast majority of posters to be intelligent, thoughtful and articulate when not BSing, flaming or just intentionally goofing around.

Yup, and the most intelligent, thoughtful, and articulate disagree with your advice.

bigkahuna.gif

I see it like this, If you're in this situation, you're kind of forced to play russian roulette.

If you start blabbing without a mouthpiece, it's like putting two more rounds in the cylinder.

Any time you're questioned by the police with the possibility of being charged with a crime you're playing their game, on their turf, by their rules (many of which you don't even know). You get one and only one chance to level the playing field by clamming up until you have an attorney present. You'd have to be a fool not to take it.

Counselor, with all due respect I am shocked at your advice.

I've had LEO's, golfing buddies, tell me never/ever talk to the police. My lawyer has told me numerous times, never talk to the police. If they ask why, just say your lawyer told you to do that. I just spoke with him on another matter and described your position, and he just said "Huh?". He was as equally shocked as I am.

If one is in a jam, or just an unfortunate set of circumstances, it seems that prevailing wisdom is just be quiet. The youtube videos with the law professor and law student/LEO support that with great anecdotal evidence. I've watched those with my kids so they could learn as well.

Would you encourage your own children to speak openly and honestly with LEO if involved in some incident?

Best,

Rich

Last edited:
Of course YOU can talk to the police without calling a lawyer - You're a friggin' lawyer.

However, giving the same advice to people here is doing them a disservice.

Have you read some of the posts here? Seriously. Take and hour or two, browse the forum, and read what people think. Then, pick a few of your favorites and imagine them talking to the police after shooting someone.

Is it really that hard for you to imagine that someone might say something that would get them in trouble? Your advice on this matter is worth exactly what people are paying for it.

I don't mean to denigrate anyone here, most of you are my friends, and please don't take this the wrong way, but a bunch of you guys would talk your way right into Cedar Junction if given the chance.

Is that near petticoat junction?

On a serious not any recommendations on Lawyers in NH that I should have on speed dial?

Thankfully, there's only one person here who is going to be adversely affected by this horrific legal advice, and that's attorney Adam Chu. Anyone who googles him is going to come across this thread and realize that they are likely better served by pursuing other avenues of legal assistance.

Well done, counselor. Well done indeed.

Then there's also the old adage about the lawyer who represents himself having a fool for a client.

Thankfully, there's only one person here who is going to be adversely affected by this horrific legal advice, and that's attorney Adam Chu. Anyone who googles him is going to come across this thread and realize that they are likely better served by pursuing other avenues of legal assistance.

Well done, counselor. Well done indeed.
[/qqac mutual admiration society subthread]

IMNSHO this thread should stay open to continue to share info about lawyers that would be helpful to call if needed (per the OP).

my lawyer retired, he was about 150 years old....
it's great going into court to deal with a civil case and the guards, other lawyers and magistrates are all clearly good friends with and respect your lawyer :)

hopefully i'll never need him again.... he'll be missed :(

Why yes, yes there are little elves bringing fluffy kittens! [wink] But speaking of fantasy worlds, to those who parrot the mantra "Don't say anything without your attorney" remember that a lawyer is not going to save your butt in every instance. Even Kevin Reddington has lost a few.

I know that a condom won't protect me 100% of the time, but if I HAD to have sex with a disease infested crack whore in an alley...I would surely want to have one.

Condom = Lawyer.
Sex = Defending yourself in a court of law, in MA for a DS.
Disease infested crack whore = MA courts, with MA jurors and MA judges.

Geeez, that analogy came out WAY more accurately than I intended.

I know that a condom won't protect me 100% of the time, but if I HAD to have sex with a disease infested crack whore in an alley...I would surely want to have one.

Condom = Lawyer.

Good analogy. When choosing lawyers, always choose the ones in the reputable clean pharmacies over the ones out of a gas station restroom vending machine.

this thread is running off the rails real fast.

i started this thread to possibly get a few defense attorneys numbers on hand, so far i got Kevin Reddington. and im pretty sure i could NEVER afford him. unless he takes payments.

and qqac

their was a thread started here a few months ago by a LEO/Detective. and he said that if we ever were in a situation to SHUT UP! and that it is HIS JOB TO PUT US BEHIND BARS! no matter what! he basically said that if you talked and messed something up that HE would find it and lock you away.

i will try searching for it and add the link here.

it was a very good read.

but again. i dont want this getting locked.

i understand not talking to police. this thread is for what comes after not talking to police. WHO would YOU talk to?

Condom = Lawyer.

Awesome analogy! Would love to have that whole thing quoted for my sig line if it wasn't so long.[laugh]

The problem with attorneys is that once they pass the bar, too many think that they know everything about everything (NOT possible) wrt law. Unlike doctors who specialize and get certified to practice in a specific area of medicine, lawyers are legally given free reign to cover almost every area of law (Patent Law and Admiralty Law are the only two recognized specialties).

I suppose if there is one attorney that thinks they know everything about everything, then that is "too many," but I think your observation has less to do with how much lawyers think they know than how lawyers think. A prevailing theme in law school is that they function to give students the skills and tools necessary to research and learn "the law" related to any matter. A popular saying in my law school was that lawyers aren't smarter than anyone else, we just know where to look to get the answers. Add the pressure of billable hours or a solo practitioner struggling to make it, and it isn't surprising that a lawyer may take on a case involving a subject matter they don't know much about because they feel confident that they can learn "the law." And yes, that has the potential for disastrous results, and yes, knowing "the law" often has little to do with how the legal system really works.

+1. I have no practical experience with criminal law and I'm not licensed in any state in the Northeast, so take this as my opinion only: Do not talk to the police until you have consulted with a competent attorney.

ETA: And don't call me unless you have a government contracts question and you live in Maryland. [grin]

Last edited:
Couselor,

As near as I can tell, you specialize in civil law. The advice that you are giving is akin to an dermatologist giving advice about neurology. Both are physicians and both have M.D.'s, but each is highly specialized. Frankly, there are few attorneys who are really first rate when it comes to defending those who are involved in employing deadly force.

I work in the criminal justice system for the police (I am not a sworn officer) and never have I heard such poor general advice from legal counsel.

If you are a person of interest in a criminal investigation no matter how unwarranted it may be, never talk to the police without an attorney present.

If a police officer employs deadly force and is the subject of internal review, what does he/she do first: Call the union and get legal representation. The tragedy is that someone might heed your advice and really get jammed esp here in Mass.

Stick to your area of expertise, which I am sure that you have a high level of competence. I wouldn't go to an OB/Gyn for an appendectomy and I wouldn't go to a surgeon for a pap smear. It's apples and oranges, really.

Last edited:
i started this thread to possibly get a few defense attorneys numbers on hand, so far i got Kevin Reddington. and im pretty sure i could NEVER afford him. unless he takes payments.
At the seminar I spoke about previously, Kevin Reddington and the other MA defense attorney said their fee for defending a murder charge was $100,000. They said that was a major discount from their hourly rate, because a murder charge was all consuming and if they charged their normal hourly rate, no one could afford them.

Expect that if you get charged after a self defense shooting, that it will consume your life savings, you will lose your home, probably lose your job, and possibly lose your marriage. If, at the end of that ringer, you wind up out on the street instead of in jail, congratulations -- you won! [thinking]

Expect that if you get charged after a self defense shooting, that it will consume your life savings, you will lose your home, probably lose your job, and possibly lose your marriage. If, at the end of that ringer, you wind up out on the street instead of in jail, congratulations -- you won! [thinking]

[cheers].[party].[cheers]

[sad2]

Back
Top Bottom