ATF intends to reclassify and ban "armor piercing" ammo including M855

Status
Not open for further replies.
A good letter from another forum. Author says use and abuse as you see fit.

Just copy, paste and email to : [email protected]

Denise Brown
Mailstop 6N-602
Office of Regulatory Affairs
Enforcement Programs and Services
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives
99 New York Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20226

ATTN: AP Ammo Comments

To Whom it May Concern:

I am writing to comment on the proposed determination regarding SS109/M855 .223/5.56 ammunition.

Based on the language used within 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(B), I believe that this ammunition is, in the first place, improperly classified as armor piercing:

(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—*

Thank you for your time.

I don't think the twat will actually read every letter. He will probably randomly select a few letters and read the first two lines to decided to delete it or not.

I had checked one of the large online ammo and reloading component vendors this morning. They still had M855 in stock, as well as SS109 bullets for reloading.

When I checked again this afternoon, they were sold out of both.

For anyone who wants M855 right now, your window to acquire it for a reasonable price is closing rapidly, or may have already closed.

I am hoping that because this affects so many more people than the 7n6 ban that the ATF will be stymied, at least for awhile. They are required to respond to comments. They are not required to listen to us. Short of revolution, long term the only fix is legislation or litigation.

Ya, there's a rush on for the stuff nationally (the word is out).

I assume the 193 will dry up next as people go all out on the m855 and overall amount of ammo on the market drops?

Last edited:
I'm still seeing them in stock places. I don't see why people would want to hoard M855 when the price is so high to begin with for loaded ammo.

I don't think the twat will actually read every letter. He will probably randomly select a few letters and read the first two lines to decided to delete it or not.

Their charter mandates that not only do they have to read every letter, they have to respond to every one.

Their charter mandates that not only do they have to read every letter, they have to respond to every one.

It is unlikely they will thoughtfully consider every letter. My guess it the person you address it to will not ever see your letter, but will get a summary report of how many "for" and "against".

I'm still seeing them in stock places. I don't see why people would want to hoard M855 when the price is so high to begin with for loaded ammo.

Just checked a couple major online retailers - pretty much everything 5.56 is gone (cases).

I think another round of panic buying has begun. I assume people will start buying large quarries of reloading components, as with other panics.

Most of us are well stocked up, but it's tough to burn into your stockpile when you can't get more :(

It is unlikely they will thoughtfully consider every letter. My guess it the person you address it to will not ever see your letter, but will get a summary report of how many "for" and "against".

Lol, I neither said they would be thoughtful nor consider it. Merely that the had to read & respond.

We can hope they listen but if it's between us and their master in the WH we know which they will choose.

This is an opportunity to ban a type of ammo commonly used in ARs. That's the whole point and is why the Bearing Arms article identifying why the ban would not make any sense is irrelevant. http://bearingarms.com/goodbye-greentip-atf-seeks-ban-common-ss109m855-5-56-ammunition/ Similarly, that is why well-intended letters like the one posted above by RDG are irrelevant.

M193 will be next based on some other arbitrary criterion.

tl;dr: ATF does not care about your opinion or the logic behind the proposed ban. They have found a way to ban a type of ammo and intend to follow through.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Is M855 jacket more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile?

A good letter from another forum. Author says use and abuse as you see fit.
. . .
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.*
. . .
Secondly, the projectile is NEITHER (1) fully jacketed OR (2) has a jacket that comprises more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

Because of this, the ammunition does not fall into the definition of “armor piercing ammunition".
Is M855 not FMJ?
What percentage of the weight is the jacket?

ATF intends to reclassify and ban "armor piercing" ammo including M855

Is M855 not FMJ?
What percentage of the weight is the jacket?

Because of the steel and alloy core instead of lead, the same jacket thickness would lead to a higher percent of total weight.

i wouldn't pay more than .30 per round, just cause i couldn't stomach .26 for steel or zinc cases.
So it looks like i'll never buy ammo again...

While i usually would blame obama for a stubbed toe, in this case it is his fault

shortage is right. And not just SS109/855. People are going to be grabbing anything 223/556 like its gold..

maybe I can start finding 22lr..

It's already started. Some places I checked this morning and even this afternoon were stocked with M193, and what I'm seeing left is the Wolf steel cased stuff.

Bottom lines.....

1...- 855 will be banned for sale....the ATF "comment' period is just government BS to pretend they are listening to the voice of the people. There is NOTHING the people can do to change the decision they have already made to ban the sales of 855. You/we have lost period!

2 .... 855 is officially in panic buy mode! Get it now because when the ATF official comment period is over the ban will be implemented.

3......Any gun store or supplier that has any 855 will jacked up their price or take if off the floor till the band is "official". Then watch how quick it will suddenly "reappear" at the the gun shops 3-8 months later at greatly increased prices. Just like magic !!! The guns shops will brag how they beat the bushes to bring you the green tip (translation...stored on pallets in our basement) and like crack fiends, people will rush to buy it at almost any price!

4.... New opportunity for hoarders to buy up anything available to sell later on to those who 'missed the boat' for great profits!

5.... new round of panic buyers created now looking to buy the 855 stuff at any price just because they heard they won't be able to get it... ( and may or may not have a weapon that shoots the ammo!)

6.....Unlike other prior panics ...this is a ban and not a shortage so what you got/get will be your last chance to have some.

Gee seems like we have been here before....MANY times...... and some still haven't learned !

[pot]

Last edited:
Bottom lines.....

1...- 855 will be banned for sale....the ATF "comment' period is just government BS to pretend they are listening to the voice of the people. There is NOTHING the people can do to change the decision they have already made the ban the sales of 855. You/we have lost period!

2 .... 855 is officially in panic buy mode! Get it now because when the ATF official comment period is over the ban will be implemented.

3......Any gun store or supplier that has any 855 will jacked up their price or take if off the floor till the band is "official". Then watch how quick it will suddenly "reappear" at the the gun shops 3-8 months later at greatly increased prices. Just like magic !!! The guns shops will brag how they beat the bushes to bring you the green tip (translation...stored on pallets in our basement) and like crack fiends, people will rush to buy it at almost any price!

4.... New opportunity for hoarders to buy up anything available to sell later on to those who 'missed the boat' for great profits!

5.... new round of panic buyers created now looking to buy the 855 stuff at any price just because they heard they won't be able to get it... ( and may or may not have a weapon that shoots the ammo!)

6.....Unlike other prior panics ...this is a ban and not a shortage so what you got/get will be your last chance to have some.

Gee seem like we have been here before....MANY times...... and some still haven't learned

[pot]

I fully agree. At what price gouging point will I be considered a dick for selling my stock at?

I fully agree. At what price gouging point will I be considered a dick for selling my stock at?

Nation...you would never be consider a dick for selling your stock....

...a dick is selling your stock at an inflated price during a artificial shortage.

... you would be considered a hero for selling your limited stock, of a no longer obtainable commodity, to those less fortunate individuals who (through no fault of their own) do not have the opportunity to obtain any.

No greater love has one person for another then to "share" their remaining stash of 855 green tips!!

(and as some people know with other scarce "commodity's" ... "love" comes with a cost!!!)

Last edited:
Not sure why 855 only hyper. With all the AR15 ammo, mx193 will do the job as well. But yes, mx193 is also disappeared from the market as of now/sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom