• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF intends to reclassify and ban "armor piercing" ammo including M855

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/Library/Notices/atf_framework_for_determining_whether_certain_projectiles_are_primarily_intended_for_sporting_purposes.pdf

"Some ammunition that was previously exempted as “primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes,” specifically 5.56mm constituent projectiles of SS109 and M855 cartridges, will again be regulated as “armor piercing ammunition.” Except as provided by law, no person may manufacture or import such ammunition, and manufacturers or importers may not sell or deliver such ammunition. ATF will maintain the exemption for 30-06 M2AP cartridges

Proposed change to ATF regulatory framework for "armor piercing" ammunition

Order up while you can.

What's the date on this publication?

- - - Updated - - -

ATF will carefully consider all comments, as appropriate, received on or before March 16, 2015, and will give comments received after that date the same consideration if it is practical to do so, but assurance of consideration cannot be given except as to comments received on or before March 16, 2015. ATF will not acknowledge receipt of comments.

~30 days notice, nice.

I assume this is the "Green tip" 5.56? If it is Im not sure why they call it armor piercing, it makes it sound like it will zip through a freaking tank.

Either way I got plenty [grin]

The whole "armor piercing" law shit is all about soft armor, kevlar etc. Just about ANY centerfire rifle round will go through that. Eugh.

Does that mean ill have to get rid of these? lol
Maybe someone needs to tell them that their laws dont apply to anywhere outside of washinton dc.
As Im sure I read somewhere in a law book somewhere.

"Article II. Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every Power, Jurisdiction and right, which is not by this confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled."

"To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings."

jz6si.jpg

Last edited:
Get the word out - contact the ATF during the public comment period - open until March 16th:

From the ATF notice:
Submit comments in any of three ways (but do not submit the same comments multiple times or by more than one method):
- [email protected]
- Fax: (202) 648 - 9741.
- Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N
602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs
and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue,
NE, Washington, DC 20226:
ATTN:
AP Ammo Comments

i was was just going to ask this! Is xm193 rated as AP? I don't think it is.
The more important question is what will be done in the future?

This is a fine demonstration of incrementalism. This thread now has multiple posters entirely missing the point and debating specific effectiveness or economics of this round of bans without realizing that after this round is done, there will be a next and a next.

Wow, how about some ACTUAL data on officers killed by these guns and ammo. This is just another disarming of the general gun owning public by what appears to be JBTs.

Where in their charter does it state that the ATF can "ban ammo" for civilian use? Doesn't that take an act of, oh IDK, GOD? Or at the very least Congress?

But its armor piercing! Won't someone think of the children?!

You beat me to it..
Noone should worry it's not like it's hunting ammo, so no one "NEEDS" it (end sarcasm)

The biggest joke being there is so much of this ammo already out there, why not just ban all .22lr.

If I were a distributor and these things aren't gone by when it looks like the ATF is putting their boots down, I'd be planning a pretty crazy fire sale.

Mike

Next we'll need to prove that we had our xm855 prior to the ban. Who keeps or evens gets a receipt for private ammo purchases, or any ammo purchases for that matter? If one of us uses this ammo after the cut off date to protect out lives, they'll say that we broke the law by using banned ammo and that we violated another law. What's next!

I wonder if steel core surplus is on the chopping block as well.

First it was Russian 5.45x39, now you can expect cans of 7.62x54r to go even higher.

The major text of this new ruling is that with the proliferation of AR pistols, thus ammo now falls into the classic definition of AP.

I blame all the clowns writing letters for AR braces

ATF intends to reclassify and ban "armor piercing" ammo including M855

I wonder if steel core surplus is on the chopping block as well.

First it was Russian 5.45x39, now you can expect cans of 7.62x54r to go even higher.

Shut your whore mouth.
;) a lot of people sent hate mail to a company that wanted to make a psl pistol for sale.

The major text of this new ruling is that with the proliferation of AR pistols, thus ammo now falls into the classic definition of AP.

I blame all the clowns writing letters for AR braces

I blame all the clowns who wanted a gay ass pistol with a dildo pointing at there face . Jk

Is the ATF as political an animal as this announcement and the timing of it would have it appear to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom