• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

ATF intends to reclassify and ban "armor piercing" ammo including M855

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I sent ATF a letter and I will call my rep when it stops snowing some time next week but I am unclear on the process. Is this ban a done deal that kicks in on March 16th or is that date just when the comment period ends and the ban will come sometime after? I read through the 17 page document and not being a lawyer or a bureaucrat I was not clear on how this works.

This is not a done deal. The public comment period ends on 3/16. If they get a few million letters the may drop this for now. And if congress gets a few million letters they may finally get off their hind ends and do something about ATF.

XM193 has a thinner jacket, almost certainly does not qualify as AP under Federal law.

Well, my reading of the new BATF notice wouldn't classify M855 as AP either...I realize XM193 won't be lumped in, I'm saying people will buy up everything in a "panic." That is what this is...a "panic." Technically, the ATF has not banned anything yet.....still, here we are.

Natchez has XM193 bulk for 0.34 per round, plus shipping. Not great but not terrible. I just picked up a case after reading this thread, plus I was running a little low after some recent training.

"To Whom it May Concern,

The potential ban on M855 is not only wrong but unconstitutional. Free, law abiding citizens have every right to purchase firearms and weapons freely along with ammunition. The government- specifically the ATF has no business interfering with the right and We The People take this possible infringement extremely seriously. As my public servant I am telling you to not take action on this potential illegal action and we will fight this every step of the way.

From a proud, hardworking, law abiding citizen who believes in the values this country stands for. Thank you for keeping your Oath to the USA.

Sincerely,

Tucker O'Brien Perkins

New Hampshire"

If the SS109 copper jacket weighs +15.5 grains, M855 fits the law.

So SS109 includes a 10-grain penetrator, how much lead is in each round?

Well, my reading of the new BATF notice wouldn't classify M855 as AP either...I realize XM193 won't be lumped in, I'm saying people will buy up everything in a "panic." That is what this is...a "panic." Technically, the ATF has not banned anything yet.....still, here we are.
I cannot agree nor disagree until somebody digs up the actual jacket weight of SS109 projectiles, from a reliable source.

---Update---
It almost seems from re-reading the BATFE document that they are saying the steel insert meets definition (i) of AP, "a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron,brass, bronze, beryllium copper or depleted uranium;", which doesn't seem correct given that the "core" of the bullet is mostly lead?

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
So SS109 includes a 10-grain penetrator, how much lead is in each round?

I cannot agree nor disagree until somebody digs up the actual jacket weight of SS109 projectiles, from a reliable source.

After some digging, this page (22) has the break-down on the first post with pictures:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/17...mor_piercing_ammo_including_M855.html&page=22

BLUF: NOTHING has been banned yet, and people are still freaking out. Now that the M855 is gone (and I could care less because XM193 is better IMHO), what will people do next? Dry up all the existing 5.56!

Last edited:
Kevin_NH said:
So SS109 includes a 10-grain penetrator, how much lead is in each round? I cannot agree nor disagree until somebody digs up the actual jacket weight of SS109 projectiles, from a reliable source.
After some digging, this page (22) has the break-down on the first post with pictures:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/17...mor_piercing_ammo_including_M855.html&page=22

Still waiting for somebody to weigh lead, penetrator, and jacket separately.

Still waiting for somebody to weigh lead, penetrator, and jacket separately.

I would gladly if you would've asked me yesterday morning...back then, I would only be throwing out .32 cents...now, you are asking me to burn $1.08...too much, too soon!

Natchez has XM193 bulk for 0.34 per round, plus shipping. Not great but not terrible. I just picked up a case after reading this thread, plus I was running a little low after some recent training.
That's about as good as anything you can find on ammoseek right now.

I passed up on 600rds of M855 for $199.99 at Collectable Arms & Ammo on Wednesday, regretting that for sure. Forget about M855 now, buy M193 before that disappears and/or skyrockets in price due to panic buying. Just bought 500rds of American Eagle M193 for $162 shipped from PSA. Not too shabby.

Great, nothing's even banned yet and everyone's panic buying.... Sold out everywhere already[rofl]

.Gov are great salesman......

I'm not understanding any sort of XM193 panic whatsoever.

When's the last time a panic made any sense whatsoever? I'm not justifying it, but thinking that a consumer won't settle for M193 when they check their favorite online retailer for some M855 scraps only to realize they missed out would be to ignore past trends. If you need 5.56 ammo, buy it now while the prices aren't inflated.

The proposed M855 ban seems like only the beginning of the end for affordable 5.56 ammo to be had...although it calls out AR pistols having the ability to fire "AP" rounds, if you read the end of the .pdf document, at least IMHO, it leaves the flood gates open for getting rid of ALL "non-sporting" rounds in the future (anything to get rid of the black rifle!!). It is a B.S argument to begin with- M855 is just the first casualty of the affordable 5.56 ammo war. The XM193 panic is brought on as a direct result of the M855 ban..people that didn't get theirs, are now buying up all *AFFORDABLE* 5.56 in a panic of what could or could not come next...

EDIT: Also, M855 is arguably some of the most popular 5.56 ammo (used by your average joe). With it gone, there is a fairly large hole in the pool of available 5.56 range ammo..Hence, you have panic.

Well, I just happen to have bought 1k of m193 a few days ago before all this happens. Was going to sell , but might keep it from now on

Last edited:
The proposed M855 ban seems like only the beginning of the end for affordable 5.56 ammo to be had...although it calls out AR pistols having the ability to fire "AP" rounds, if you read the end of the .pdf document, at least IMHO, it leaves the flood gates open for getting rid of ALL "non-sporting" rounds in the future (anything to get rid of the black rifle!!).
Care to elaborate on how Federal law allows BATFE to get rid of "non-sporting" rounds unless the rounds meet one of the two definitions (i or ii) of AP in 18 USC § 921(a)(17)](B)?

Care to elaborate on how Federal law allows BATFE to get rid of "non-sporting" rounds unless the rounds meet one of the two definitions (i or ii) of AP in 18 USC § 921(a)(17)](B)?

No! That is why I said "IMHO." I am explaining my insight on why there is a panic for 5.56 across the board. I do not think I could even elaborate on how a M855 round counts as an AP pistol round- yet, here we are. No warning- the BATF just decided overnight. It is my opinion this is not about the round itself- how many LEOs have been killed by "concealed" AR pistols shooting M855 rounds? I mean, the AP nature of a steel penetrator core is negated by a 10" barrel and XM193 does what it does if not the same, better. I think this is a run at the AR platform..Cant get rid of the gun? Get rid of the ammunition!

The overall ammount of 5.56 ammo available on the market just dropped dramatically overnight. So, there's a run on any 5.56 ammo. Even in a best case senerio, it will takes months to get back to where we were on Friday.

Let's keep in mind that we were still in recovery from the last panic. First, ammo has to become available and then we see prices drop back to normal.

I think if there was zerothreat of government interference, the free market price for M855 (with raw material having gone up in the last five years) would be around 0.20/round, maybe a little less. It was back down to around 0.30 -before this latest gun control strategy was announced.

No mentions of this trend anywhere on social media (Twitter and Instagram) that I can see.

yea, they just make a new definition, whats to stop them?

The overall ammount of 5.56 ammo available on the market just dropped dramatically overnight. So, there's a run on any 5.56 ammo. Even in a best case senerio, it will takes months to get back to where we were on Friday.

Valid point. But shit, if the ATF has unfettered "2A liberty and freedom rape" capabilities you'll find me stocking components instead.

Miller is crap and not worth citing for much. It's the biggest non decision the court ever made.

I wouldn't go that far. It's worthwhile just for being referenced in Heller and the language about "in common use". That part probably prevented Heller from only applying to revolvers. There are still plenty of morons who think the 2nd only protects muskets and flintlocks.

Now that Heller has been decided, the two decisions would, hopefully, make another federal AWB much easier to challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom