Asking for a friend...

Long story short: Friend of mine has a federal offense on his record. Drug charge from over 40 years ago. Stupid kid doing stupid things. He's approaching 60 years old now and is interested in getting his license.

Can he ever get his license? (restricted even?) Or is he screwed forever?

Thanks

Last edited:
If he's fed PP, emphasis on if, I wouldn't be mentioning that he so much as touched a firearm.

Long story short: Friend of mine has a federal offense on his record. Drug charge from over 40 years ago. Stupid kid doing stupid things. He's approaching 60 years old now and loves coming to the range with me.

Thanks

For starters what COULD he have been sentenced to on his conviction? If it was 2 years or more in prison he's a federally prohibited person anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Long story short: Friend of mine has a federal offense on his record. Drug charge from over 40 years ago. Stupid kid doing stupid things. He's approaching 60 years old now and loves coming to the range with me.

Thanks

For starters what COULD he have been sentenced to on his conviction? If it was 2 years or more in prison he's a federally prohibited person anyway.

If he was convicted of a federal felony, then the only way to get his rights back are through two ways: one way involves the ATF, but they've come out saying that they're not weighing in on any reinstatements.

The only other way is a Presidential pardon - yes, from the US President, which is highly unlikely and not really an option.

I'd say he's out of luck and taking him shooting with you may put you in legal jeopardy as he can't even possess a firearm or ammunition if he was federally convicted. I'd erase this thread if I were you.

I wouldn't expect the CORI (state BG) to show a federal conviction. That's one of the reasons why PDs don't use CORIs, they run a much more detailed BG on a person.

A normal BOP check will show an offense charged by the federales and its disposition as well

But will a person requesting a CORI get that info too?

BTW, check your text msg.

Im gonna assume you are talking about a prospective employer doing a background check or something along those lines? The CORI checks that pop warner coaches and school chaperones have done on them are highly censored, for the most part, no one but LE gets to see what I see (not to sound like an ******* either) so any CORI check is suspect.

I fully intended to get back to you today in regards to that text, I instead got dealt "pistol whipping" for $2000 Alex.
I will reach out tomorrow

Sad part is the difference between your buddy and many on this board... your buddy got caught. The rest of us were either lucky or played the game better.

Long story short: Friend of mine has a federal offense on his record. Drug charge from over 40 years ago. Stupid kid doing stupid things. He's approaching 60 years old now and is interested in getting his license.

Thanks

Most gun laws are unconstitutional. At nearly 60 I will probably stop worrying about jail as my days will be numbered.

Thanks

Call a lawyer and ask him to give you a hand.

Fragmentary information on a very complex legal subject that most attorneys are in the dark about. He needs to consult an attorney who specializes in firearms law and spend the money for the one billable hour it's probably going to take to get his answer.

I think at that point, a lot of people turn to archery. I'm not sure if black powder is or isn't OK.

Back
Top Bottom