Asked for FID Card at NH Walmart??

I own a camp in northeastern Vermont and I stopped at the Walmart in Littleton, NH to buy shotgun ammo on my way up to hunt grouse last week, as I frequently do. Before the guy at the gun counter would give me the ammo, he asked to see ID. I thought this was a bit strange since I'm 50 years old and I look every year of it, and I don't think I've ever been asked to show ID when buying ammo outside of MA, but I handed him my Massachusetts drivers license and he promptly asked to see my FID card! Remember, this is in a Walmart store in New Hampshire about 120 miles north of the NH/MA state line. I quickly considered asking him why he needed to see my Massachusetts gun license, but the guy was obviously just doing what he had been told to do so I showed him my LTC, he cashed me out, and I went on my merry way.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this since it happened. I'm trying to figure out if this policy has been instituted by Walmart on their own as a liability-limiting strategy or if Maura Healey has somehow convinced Walmart that she can prosecute them for selling to unlicensed MA citizens even if absolutely no portion of the transaction takes place within Massachusetts' jurisdiction.

Has anyone else (particularly citizens of other states like CT where licensure is also required to purchase ammo) had a similar experience buying ammo in free states like NH? Anybody have any insight on this topic?

I own a camp in northeastern Vermont and I stopped at the Walmart in Littleton, NH to buy shotgun ammo on my way up to hunt grouse last week, as I frequently do. Before the guy at the gun counter would give me the ammo, he asked to see ID. I thought this was a bit strange since I'm 50 years old and I look every year of it, and I don't think I've ever been asked to show ID when buying ammo outside of MA, but I handed him my Massachusetts drivers license and he promptly asked to see my FID card! Remember, this is in a Walmart store in New Hampshire about 120 miles north of the NH/MA state line. I quickly considered asking him why he needed to see my Massachusetts gun license, but the guy was obviously just doing what he had been told to do so I showed him my LTC, he cashed me out, and I went on my merry way.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about this since it happened. I'm trying to figure out if this policy has been instituted by Walmart on their own as a liability-limiting strategy or if Maura Healey has somehow convinced Walmart that she can prosecute them for selling to unlicensed MA citizens even if absolutely no portion of the transaction takes place within Massachusetts' jurisdiction.

Has anyone else (particularly citizens of other states like CT where licensure is also required to purchase ammo) had a similar experience buying ammo in free states like NH? Anybody have any insight on this topic?

I would go with liability limiting strategy. No doubt Healy has contacted them at some point, but there is more cost to "bad optics" of being in the new for selling ammo to MA criminals than angry customers storming out over it. Given the standard party line when people talk about Chicago gun crime vs. gun control, it is a pretty clear line between a large multi-national shopping center company which retails ammunition and a mention in any and every story of "how did this happen, and why are things 'slipping through the cracks' and getting into our lovely utopia?"

Have you been living under a rock? Some NH walmarts have done this for over a decade now. [laugh] It's just some douche walmart managers being "afraid of MA cooties" etc. (fake perception of liability and so on, due to having a communist state next door). If you don't want to deal with their odd policies then just buy your ammo from a gun shop.

-Mike

Have you been living under a rock? Some NH walmarts have done this for over a decade now. [laugh] It's just some douche walmart managers being "afraid of MA cooties" etc. (fake perception of liability and so on, due to having a communist state next door). If you don't want to deal with their odd policies then just buy your ammo from a gun shop.

-Mike
This^

This Walmart discussion has been beat to death. Most walmarts in NH ask for an fid if you hand them a mass driver licence......since like......forever .

Never happened to me before. I've bought ammo at NH Walmart stores many times, but generally far north of the state line. Never been asked for ID until last week.

Rindge used to require NH DL or MA LTC/FID for ammo. As of a couple of months ago the lady refused my MA LTC and instead required the MA DL.

It's individual store policy / opinion. Just give them what they want or buy somewhere else. Arguing with them about it is like writing with a dull pencil. Pointless.

-Mike
Some NH gun shops go full retard, as well. I won't mention who...[wink]

Had the same thing happen at a Dick's or something about 20 years ago up over the border. "I can buy this as a MA resident, right?" "As long as you have a Mass FID or LTC." ??????

As far as I can tell, it's a Walmart thing. The Walmart in Seabrook is usually staffed by a guy that lives in MA, but he and others have asked to see an FID or LTC for years. The Dick's in the same mall that I don't go to anymore since the AR15 fiasco never asked for an ID.

Never been asked for ID to buy ammo at a WalMart here but, strangely, been asked "handgun or longgun" which is stupid since I'm clearly over 21.

I just hand them my LTC and registered sex offender card and ask if they wanna party...they’ll never ask again;)

I'm a RI'er and this happened to me a few months ago on my way through NH (Claremont Walmart). He asked for a licenses and I told him "No, I thought this was the live free or die state" and he proceeded to cash me out without protest.

just sayin'...you should lurk more often, I think we put walmart on our boycott list a couple of years ago. no one here still shops at walmart any more, do we? [laugh]

I don't mind it. I go to Wal-Mart in hudson, Amherst and Gilford all the time. Almost always ask for LTC.
The one point I'd make us that MA politicians cant blame NH Wal-Mart's for selling ammo to MA criminals.
NH, on the other hand, can blame MA for alot of shit.

I am in Wal-Mart all the time buying ammo and they ask every one for a ID even if there from NH.

They do it to make sure your a citizen old enough to buy ammo and are a resident of that state and if your not a resident then they ask for thats states licence if that state has one.

The reason is even though it's perfectly legal to sell rifles and ammunition to out of state residents they must want to cover there asses just in case.

So to be able to buy rifles in Massachusetts you need a FID or an LTC so the same rules apply even though your in NH Vermont or Maine by federal law to be 100 percent compliant with the ATF you must follow other states laws.

So if you show a out of state licence when buying a rifle then you will have to show a licence to carry from your state if your state requires one.

But some places don't give a shit about ammo sales because that state doesn't require it so they don't bother asking if they don't ask then they don't have to worry about it.

Last edited:
I am in Wal-Mart all the time buying ammo and they ask every one for a ID even if there from NH.

They do it wet o make sure your a resident of that state and if your not then they ask for thats states licence if that state has one.

The reason is even though it's perfectly legal to sell rifles and ammunition to out of state residents it's only legal as long as it complies with that states laws.

So to be able to buy rifles and ammo in Massachusetts you need a FID or an LTC so the same rules apply even though your in NH Vermont or Maine by federal law to be 100 percent compliant with the ATF if you show a out of state licence then ypu will have to show a licence to carry from your state if your state requires one.

But some places don't give a shit because that state doesn't require it for they don't bother even asking if they dont ask then they don't have to ask for a LTC if your from another state but once they ask for a drivers license and it's from out of state they have to ask for the other ID.

Please tell me which Fed Law requires a license to buy ammo for someone (not a PP) who doesn't have a license in his/her home state?

There is none. A Mass resident who has no guns/gun licenses can legally go up to NH and buy ammo to be used in NH (no law broken unless said person brings ammo/components back into Mass). That's the problem with NH stores being anal about Mass folks buying ammo.

NH starts as a DOB thing I believe. a MA license prompts the MA LTC.
Fed Law requires that the ammo buyer be 18 for rifle ammo and 21 for pistol ammo, but that is all that is required. That's why WM registers ask pistol or rifle, ID for age. If you look 50 yo there isn't much chance that you are under 21 and they can safely pass on asking for ID.

Please tell me which Fed Law requires a license to buy ammo for someone (not a PP) who doesn't have a license in his/her home state?

There is none. A Mass resident who has no guns/gun licenses can legally go up to NH and buy ammo to be used in NH (no law broken unless said person brings ammo/components back into Mass). That's the problem with NH stores being anal about Mass folks buying ammo.

The federal law is as a FFL holder you must comply with all state and local laws if you don't you're then breaking federal law and can loose your FFL.

So the state law is you must have a FID or an LTC to buy ammo so technically you as the FFL holder must ask when you see that out of state drivers licence.

And yes the actual federal law on ammo if 18 rifle 21 hand gun ammo and that your not a prohibited person.

And yes again they can totally skip on asking for a drivers licence if you look old enough bit once they do ask for the drivers licence and your out of state they are technically supposed to then ask for your FID or LTC.

But come on you all ready know that don't you have a FFL.

Last edited:
Fed Law requires that the ammo buyer be 18 for rifle ammo and 21 for pistol ammo, but that is all that is required. That's why WM registers ask pistol or rifle, ID for age. If you look 50 yo there isn't much chance that you are under 21 and they can safely pass on asking for ID.

Maybe, but the store POS system might require ID info for every ammo sale. For instance, if you purchase liquor at say Target or Costco, the cashier is required to scan your license regardless off how old you look. The sale cannot be completed, the transaction won't make it through the computer without the data from the license getting entered. This requirement is made by the store, not the state.

Don't know about walmart, but possibly they have a system like this setup where to complete an ammo sale, info , possibly just DOB, MUST be entered?

Back
Top Bottom