Asked for FID Card at NH Walmart??

The federal law is as a FFL holder you must comply with all state and local laws if you don't you're then breaking federal law and can loose your FFL.

So the state law is you must have a FID or an LTC to buy ammo so technically you as the FFL holder must ask when you see that out of state drivers licence.

And yes the actual federal law on ammo if 18 rifle 21 hand gun ammo and that your not a prohibited person.

And yes again they can totally skip on asking for a drivers licence if you look old enough bit once they do ask for the drivers licence and your out of state they are technically supposed to then ask for your FID or LTC.

But come on you all ready know that don't you have a FFL.

The reason you are wrong here is that the Feds do NOT require one to have an FFL to sell ammo!!! Some states require it, but it is not a federally controlled object wrt sales (neither are magazines).

Maybe, but the store POS system might require ID info for every ammo sale. For instance, if you purchase liquor at say Target or Costco, the cashier is required to scan your license regardless off how old you look. The sale cannot be completed, the transaction won't make it through the computer without the data from the license getting entered. This requirement is made by the store, not the state.

Don't know about walmart, but possibly they have a system like this setup where to complete an ammo sale, info , possibly just DOB, MUST be entered?

Sorry, you are wrong wrt Costco (same with BJ's and Sam's Club) and booze. I've bought liquor many times there in MA and NH and never been carded. Clerk just looks at me, yup he's old enough, and hits one key to pass.

The federal law is as a FFL holder you must comply with all state and local laws if you don't you're then breaking federal law and can loose your FFL.

So the state law is you must have a FID or an LTC to buy ammo so technically you as the FFL holder must ask when you see that out of state drivers licence.

And yes the actual federal law on ammo if 18 rifle 21 hand gun ammo and that your not a prohibited person.

And yes again they can totally skip on asking for a drivers licence if you look old enough bit once they do ask for the drivers licence and your out of state they are technically supposed to then ask for your FID or LTC.

Does Federal law require licensees to comply with State laws and local published ordinances when selling firearms?

Yes. It is unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver any firearm to any person if the person’s purchase or possession would be in violation of any State law or local published ordinance applicable at the place of sale, delivery or other disposition.

18 U.S.C. 922(b)(2); 27 CFR 478.99(b)(2)
As far as I know, ammunition is not a firearm.

No you don't need a FFL to sell ammo but I would still think you have to follow local and state laws or if you do have a FFL they would pull it.

And at Wal-Mart they do scan the back of you licence for the date of birth but I dont know if that has anyrhing to do with it.

And maybe i am wrong on the ammo and am confusing it with rifles but I know you have to ask for the FID and LTC for the rifles or they defiantly can't sell it.

No you don't need a FFL to sell ammo but I would still think you have to follow local and state laws or if you do have a FFL they would pull it.

And at Wal-Mart they do scan the back of you licence for the date of birth but I dont know if that has anyrhing to do with it.

And maybe i am wrong on the ammo and am confusing it with rifles but I know you have to ask for the FID and LTC for the rifles or they defiantly can't sell it.
Local and state law in NH is that if you aren't a PP, you are GTG if of age and can buy ammo. Buying in NH isn't proof that one is ever going to bring it into MA. No law on ammo requires that WM make sure someone is legal in their home state.

I've bought ammo in NH and MA WMs and they have never done more than look at my LTC. Only Hudson NH has ever asked in NH to see any ID, but I haven't bought ammo at a WM in a year or more.

They screwed up at Hudson NH Walmart on 15-Sep'18.
They accepted my NH non-res P&RL.
They always used to decline that and demand my Mass. LTC.
1000542_1_main-400x315.jpeg

Never been asked for ID to buy ammo at a WalMart here but, strangely, been asked "handgun or longgun" which is stupid since I'm clearly over 21.

Dude, if you buy multiple boxes you're like totally missing out on some epic street theatre.
@Radtekk, FTW!

Shooters Outpost in Hooksett asks for ID.
You can sure say that again.

[URL='https://www.northeastshooters.com/xen/threads/collectable-firearms-ammo-different-treatment-for-ma-customers.302646/#post-4892310' said:
You can sure say that again[/URL].

Shooters Outpost in Hooksett asks for ID.

I purchased a box of ammo in a gun store in Bangor Maine last week. The guy asked to see my Drivers license. I asked why he needed that. His reply was to make sure I was a US resident.

Last edited:
Littleton is the Walmart nearest to me; I'm amazed that you found either ammo, or someone at the gun counter to sell it to you, let alone at the same time.

Gorham is even worse.

During the Great .22 LR Scarcity, I did find multiple boxes in stock at Woodsville, and a clerk handy willing to sell it. That could have been just accidental good timing, though.

But, I've bought ammo at all three of those stores, and never once been asked for ID. I'm 55, and the first (and last) time I was carded for alcohol was on my 21st birthday.

Littleton is the Walmart nearest to me; I'm amazed that you found either ammo, or someone at the gun counter to sell it to you, let alone at the same time.

Littleton keeps the vast portion of their ammo stock in the back and puts little out for display. That all started when gun shops were buying everything in sight many years ago. For whatever reason, it just continues. Got this directly from the horse's mouth.

Mmmmm....yea....no....not exactly

They're required to comply with Fed law
They're required to comply with the laws of the state they operate in.

They're not required to comply with any laws of any other state......period......end of discussion....really.....WTF is next?

Someone going to assert that because a mAss resident in NH that they cant do the con carry thing because they dont have a mAss FID/CCW?

Like a said ammo is just 18 years old for Rifle ammo and 21for Pistol ammo but that don't fly because all calibers come in rifles.

And again not ammo if your buying rifles from another state and show a out of state drivers licence then they will ask for you FID LTC CCW some type of Gun Licence and if you don't have one they won't sell you the rifle.

You don't need a FFL to sell ammo you only need the FFL if you import ammo or manufacturer ammo.

You just have to comply with state laws on selling ammo and I have no clue what New Hampshire's laws on selling ammo are maybe the laws in New Hampshire is ask for an ID if the ID is from another state ask for that states FID LTC or CCW.

Last edited:
You just have to comply with state laws on selling ammo and I have no clue what New Hampshire's laws on selling ammo are maybe the laws in New Hampshire is ask for an ID if the ID is from another state ask for that states FID LTC or CCW.
NH has no such law. ID for age only, nothing more regardless of where you live.

But the best is no one here has any clue either non of us are from NH non of you are FFL holders and non of us really have the answer or some one would give it.

I am making a educated guessing what the law is in NH by what I see ammo sellers in NH do.

But no matter what i say as a educated guess everyone says I am wrong with no proof i don't have proof and I don't really care to much to look it up because there are enough Ma laws living in Ma I have to worry about.

So at this point i don't really give a f@#k because I can buy guns and ammo any where and in any state I want. [rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl] and am tired of [horse]

Last edited:

Not in NH. Walmart's policy is Walmart's policy, NOT compliance with law. A driver's license to prove age is all that's required.

But the best is no one here has any clue either non of us are from NH non of you are FFL holders and non of us really have the answer or some one would give it.

I am guessing what the law is in NH buy what I see all ammo sellers in NH do.

But no matter what i say as a educated guess everyone says I am wrong with no proof.

So at this point i don't really give a duck because I can buy guns and ammo any where and in any state I want. [rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl] and am tired of [horse]

You'd have a heart attack if you realized how many people on NES are FFLs, many of which live in NH...

You offer guesses at what the law is without proof. Why would you expect someone else to do your homework and look it up for you?

Healey's agenda isn't about stopping gun violence or gun control. It's about being SEEN fighting the boogieman GUNS. Getting Walmart to restrict ammo sales, or make them more difficult, without telling everyone she is doing it does not fit her agenda. In fact she would be better served if a bad guy did bad things with ammo he bought in NH.

You'd have a heart attack if you realized how many people on NES are FFLs, many of which live in NH...

You offer guesses at what the law is without proof. Why would you expect someone else to do your homework and look it up for you?

So I went in to Wal-Mart and asked the manager why the ID and why I need a LTC or FID when I show a Ma. Drivers Lic. and he told me that the Massachusetts state police asked
Wal-Mart to not sell any ammo or guns to any one with a Massachusetts drivers lic. if they don't have a LTC or FID.

So I went in to Wal-Mart and asked the manager why the ID and why I need a LTC or FID when I show a Ma. Drivers Lic. and he told me that the Massachusetts state police asked
Wal-Mart to not sell any ammo or guns to any one with a Massachusetts drivers lic. if they don't have a LTC or FID.

That’s all pure bullshit.... Walmart and tends to make up policy is as they go along and they probably have the story about the cops because they don’t want to explain that somebody is afraid of imaginary laws. It takes less words to make up fake laws to get the customer to stop asking questions.

Obviously if a Walmart store was in mass you would need an LTC/FID to buy ammo because it’s the law but outside of mass anything that they make up is just effluvial bullshit.....

NH has no such law. ID for age only, nothing more regardless of where you live.

So no it's not a NH law or a Wal-Mart rule to ask a Ma. resident for there LTC.

It's all because the Ma. State police asked Wal-Mart to ask for ID and if you show a Ma. ID to ask for you LTC or FID and if you don't have a LTC not to sell you the ammo.

And if it was a Wal-Mart not on the border they would not care or ask for a LTC if you where old enough to buy the ammo even if you showed a Ma. DL.

Businesses don't want to risk a lawsuit from the state of MA so they cover their asses by making sure its ok to sell to you. Its the opposite of stupid policy if you run/own a business and want to stay in business.

/thread

That’s all pure bullshit.... Walmart and tends to make up policy is as they go along and they probably have the story about the cops because they don’t want to explain that somebody is afraid of imaginary laws. It takes less words to make up fake laws to get the customer to stop asking questions.

Obviously if a Walmart store was in mass you would need an LTC/FID to buy ammo because it’s the law but outside of mass anything that they make up is just effluvial bullshit.....

You might say it's BS but I could see the Ma State police asking that of Wal-Mart he said go a few cities north at one of the other Wal-Mart's that he works at and he wouldn't ask and wouldn't care.

But no matter what people and companies are scared of Ma. gun laws and that muff diving AG.
I know first hand because I have had many companies not sell me items and guns because they said they are ban in Massachusetts they are assault wepons and we can sell you assault wepons because we don't want to get sued by the Ma. AG.

Last edited:
So no it's not a NH law or a Wal-Mart rule to ask a Ma. resident for there LTC.

It's all because the Ma. State police asked Wal-Mart to ask for ID and if you show a Ma. ID to ask for you LTC or FID and if you don't have a LTC not to sell you the ammo.

And if it was a Wal-Mart not on the border they would not care or ask for a LTC if you where old enough to buy the ammo even if you showed a Ma. DL.

As the good doctor said, no, the MSP did NOT ask that Wal Mart to require MA LTC/FID. It was a local policy and almost certainly made up on the spot. Or in a bag of prepared excuses. In tech support it's called the bible. They'll literally tell you ANYTHING they think will end the current conversation with the least involvement of their conscious mind.

If you want to apply logic, why would the MSP make that visit and not a letter (certified / return receipt) from the AG?

And if it WAS the MSP (which it wasn't but let's pretend) just who actually went there? Did the local troop commander go or send a minionion? Or maybe the top cop sent a letter? No, because that would compromise any future lawsuits by the AG.

You were played. No such visit ever happened and even if it did it was not based on law, simply pride and prejudice. "Somebody", probably not even a manager, just some schlub that was training the new guy, "said" so and thus a rule / regulation was born.

When I went to the Hinsdale NH store I asked the woman if she needed my license and she said no, you don't need it to buy ammo. Of course that was a couple of years ago.

Businesses don't want to risk a lawsuit from the state of MA so they cover their asses by making sure its ok to sell to you. Its the opposite of stupid policy if you run/own a business and want to stay in business.

/thread

It’s not illegal to sell ammunition to any adult in NH. What you do with it after you purchase it is your responsibility. Even a felon could purchase ammunition even if they are not allowed to possess it without repercussion to the seller as they have no way of knowing if they are allowed or not.
State laws do NOT translate across state lines.

It has been Wal-Mart POLICY for ~15 yrs to ask for MA LTC/FID at border stores. It is NOT law and MSP has nothing to do with MA gun laws, period.

Due to other sleazy things that EOPS has done over the past number of years, I could see an EOPS Atty sending a letter to Wal-Mart Corporate demanding that they do this. In no way would such a letter or threat actually require Wal-Mart to do anything. The fact that they choose to do something is all on them!

Back
Top Bottom