• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Are Handgun Receivers Transferable in MA?

Naz

If I wanted to buy a 1911 frame / receiver, would a FFL transfer that since it is not technically a handgun?
What's the deal in MA with handgun receivers and that stupid list?

My guess is NO.

Even if they were you would have to report it as completed on an NFA (?) and would then need a license to own a firearm is MA.

Do some more research here on NES and you can find a lot of good info.

My guess is NO.

Even if they were you would have to report it as completed on an NFA (?) and would then need a license to own a firearm is MA.

Wrong. Twice.

A bare pistol frame is hardly an NFA firearm, even under Federal law (although it IS a firearm). It is NOT a gun under MA law.

There is no NFA issue; simply a 4473 when the frame is transferred. An FA-10 would be filed WHEN the possessor has all the parts necessary to complete the build.

Do some more research here on NES and you can find a lot of good info.

Just not in that post.

Wrong. Twice.

Thats, ok. I knew i would be corrected.

It just seems Crazy that you can buy a frame, and well every part of the gun but once built (or building) you must declare it. Especially because in Mass you have to be licensed to have a gun.

It just seems Crazy that you can buy a frame, and well every part of the gun but once built (or building) you must declare it. Especially because in Mass you have to be licensed to have a gun.

Third mistake is to ever look at a MA law and try to make sense out of it. Yes we need to understand the laws, but never try to figure out the reasoning behind these things.

Wait, wait, wait...
What's this declare crap?

He is talking about registration. In MA we don't register guns we register transfers. When his frame becomes a gun he is obligated to fill out an FA-10 form within 7 days.

But becoming a gun is not a transfer.
So if i were to build a 1911, I would register the gun when I got it transferred to me at purchase.
Then when I finish building it, i would have to fill out a FA-10 form to register it again? What a weird state you're in / I have to move to!

But becoming a gun is not a transfer.
So if i were to build a 1911, I would register the gun when I got it transferred to me at purchase.
Then when I finish building it, i would have to fill out a FA-10 form to register it again? What a weird state you're in / I have to move to!

No, When you buy the frame from an FFL it is transferred as a firearm. When it becomes a gun (could be years later) you need to file an FA-10. How is that a transfer? Yesterday you didn't have a gun, today you do. MA considers that a transfer, think of it as a pile of parts transferred in to a gun... lol

No, When you buy the frame from an FFL it is transferred as a firearm. When it becomes a gun (could be years later) you need to file an FA-10. How is that a transfer? Yesterday you didn't have a gun, today you do. MA considers that a transfer, think of it as a pile of parts transferred in to a gun... lol

That's a lot of paperwork for nothing really.

Good luck finding an FFL that would transfer a pistol frame to you if you don't have a proper LTC. This is not a loophole to get around licensing - if you can buy a gun you can also buy gun parts. That's it - nothing to see here.....

Last edited:
I am confused. Does the frame of the handgun have to be on the approved new handgun list in order for the FFL to transfer it?

I am confused. Does the frame of the handgun have to be on the approved new handgun list in order for the FFL to transfer it?

AGAIN, as was stated in Posts 1, 3, 4 and explained again in Post 15, A BARE FRAME IS NOT A GUN.

Which has been discussed at length MANY times in the nigh onto 4 years you've been on this forum. Grasp the concept.

AGAIN, as was stated in Posts 1, 3, 4 and explained again in Post 15, A BARE FRAME IS NOT A GUN. Grasp the concept.

I realise bare frame is not a MA firearm.

That is not what i was trying to ask. I deleted what I was trying to ask.

Last edited:
I realise bare frame is not a MA firearm.

That is not what i was trying to ask. I deleted what I was trying to ask.

That is exactly what you asked:

Does the frame of the handgun have to be on the approved new handgun list in order for the FFL to transfer it?

Note that is is NOT deleted.

I was trying to get around a direct question and was not asking what I wanted to ask. I did, but then I deleted that. So I will re-ask/ undelete it.

What I really want to know is :

EDIT: I sense my question should have been left unasked. So it is now gone. I wasn't going to do that if it was at all questionable, which is what I am sensing it is, so my question is gone.

Last edited:
Mach said:
What I really want to know is :

Can I.....

You can legally purchase/possess whatever a FFL is willing to sell/transfer to you (post-ban assault weapons and large capacity mags aside). [wink]

Last edited:
Sure, if an FFL will do it that way. But the FFL would probably get their asses kicked by the state for doing it.

Back
Top Bottom