• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR15 Optic

If things go according to plan, Santa is bringing the rest of the parts I need to finish my first ar. The only piece that I anticipate to be missing after the 25th is some sort of optic. Primarily I'd use this for short to medium range range use, 100 yards or less. Would also probably be picked for use of a horde of zombies showed up at my door. Would like to save a buck on this piece, but willing to spend a little money if I really get a good piece in return; hoping to stay under 200$, as a goal.

Also, happened to buy an el cheapo red dot for my 10/22 a while ago. Hated it because it took a screwdriver/tool to turn on. I removed it because of that - push button or no on/off function is a must.

CUE SUGGESTIONS! GO!!!

Bushnell trs-25. For the money it's good to go. Beat the hell out of mine, thing still ticks. Less than a hundo too

Millet scope. Best thing near $200, but a little over at $250. Illuminated reticle 1-4x

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/millet...waAjB28P8HAQ&_iv_code=MS-RS-14x24DMS-BK81424A

If you're going to get a red dot, save up and buy an Aimpoint Pro.

+1 for the Millet, Midway had a sale on these not too long ago for $130 shipped so keep an eye out, I love mine and like xtry said, best thing in that price range. I ended up buying an American Defense QD mount that cost more than the scope itself.

Millet scope. Best thing near $200, but a little over at $250. Illuminated reticle 1-4x

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/millet...waAjB28P8HAQ&_iv_code=MS-RS-14x24DMS-BK81424A

If you're going to get a red dot, save up and buy an Aimpoint Pro.
that's High, Amazon is usually 200. I paid 99 bucks for mine on Black Friday and think I lucked out. its for my SAM7 AK..
at 100 yds it will work great, the illuminated reticle is awesome. for a red dot I use a Primary arms Micro and has been Perfect in 3 years, never lost 0

I'd go with Primary Arms. I've had good luck with 3 of their models. Their newer stuff looks even better.

This! I have 3 different ones myself and plan to get more. Also have an Eotech, but for the money, PA is tough to beat for a red dot. If you want magnification, some good ones have already been mentioned.

Vortex Strikefire red/green dot sight. Mine's the previous generation & came with a 2x doubler

I have Vortex Strikefire 2 and also have their magnifier and am very please with both, been shooting it alot lately and its holding a zero just fine.

Primary arms red dot, bushnell trs25, both about $70. Inexpensive and both do what they're supposed to do, make a little red dot.

Last edited:
For RDS the TRS-25 is great.

ive also become a fan of nikon optics especially the P-223 3x its lovely

What were you doing on Black Friday/Cyber Monday!? THOSE were the days to find a red dot on the cheap! I paid $149 for a Vortex Prizm just because!

I would hold out for a good deal- PA makes good stuff, but if you are patient, you should be able to find a great deal.

I'm happy this thread was created. I've been clueless on what I've wanted to add to my Sig M400 Enhanced. Looking now like I'll go with a Vortex Strikerorce 2 and a magnifier thereafter.

Some models of the TRS-25 have the emitter on the side and some on the bottom, depending on production date. With one of them the dot disappears in the top 1/3 of the glass. I'd research that before you buy and make sure you know which one you're getting.

I had one on a rifle for about 30 seconds before sending it back.

The PA 1-6 changes 0 based on magnification (by about 3 MOA), and the advanced micro dot has glare in the top left corner if there is light behind the shooter. I have not used their standard red dot.

Save a little longer and get something in the $300-500 range. The Burris MTAC or the SWFA are the cheapest 1x and magnified optics worth buying IMO.

Thank you for the replies. I'll probably go with a trs25 or primary arms unless I happen to find a deal on a vortex or similar. I guess I have a follow up question - what kind of back up sights? Magpul seem like a good bet but I'm wondering what else might be out there. Browsed Amazon for a little while and found a gigantic range of styles and prices which left me wondering.

Thank you for the replies. I'll probably go with a trs25 or primary arms unless I happen to find a deal on a vortex or similar. I guess I have a follow up question - what kind of back up sights? Magpul seem like a good bet but I'm wondering what else might be out there. Browsed Amazon for a little while and found a gigantic range of styles and prices which left me wondering.
for something that works and price wise is the best deal are the Magpul's. Primary Arms has them on sale cheap right now, Like 60 a set

I generally do not recommend optics in the sub 300$ range but will admit I have had many that served me well.
I have had this model for 15 years or so. I paid more for it then than what they sell for now.
Its lived on pellet guns,shotguns,black powder rifles, and a 357 mag . It's,been dropped lost and stolen. The batteries last a,long time even when left on. I don't know if the newer gen has auto shut off.
http://www.tasco.com/products/index.aspx?ClassID=13&FamilyID=163&ProductID=670

Second thought is buy some back up sights and 1000 rounds. Once you can keep your shots in a 4" group at 100 yards move to optics...that's just me though. My eyes are fading and I am slowly looking for more optic options.
I have been looking for a year now and still can't decide.
Until then I am using my 1st gen Leopold VXIII 2.8x8x32 with standard duplex ret.

79f269fb07afa53b418434de0e022666.jpg

Piggybacking on this thread, what would be a good mount/good rings for a 1-4 optic? I'm looking at getting a Leupold VXR for Christmas (which I might possibly leverage toward a Trijicon TR24), and would like to get a decent QD mount for it. The rifle that would wear this scope is a 16" BCM keymod upper on an Anderson lower, if it matters.

Piggybacking on this thread, what would be a good mount/good rings for a 1-4 optic? I'm looking at getting a Leupold VXR for Christmas (which I might possibly leverage toward a Trijicon TR24), and would like to get a decent QD mount for it. The rifle that would wear this scope is a 16" BCM keymod upper on an Anderson lower, if it matters.

i just got an American defense recon qd mount for $150 off amazon. The thing is solid and has held zero for 500 rounds so far.

image.jpg

anyone got any deals on a aimpoint pro? i know i missed the BF deals but wasnt in "need" of one at the time

i just got an American defense recon qd mount for $150 off amazon. The thing is solid and has held zero for 500 rounds so far.

View attachment 153549
AD has a great mount, I'm looking also for a offset mount for a 1x6. How do u like the Millett? I have it on my AK and so far got around 2 inch at 100 yds. Now I want a 1x6
View attachment 153550

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom