Ar scope advice

I recently purchased an ar with a wylde heavy barrel and have been looking for a scope. I want a 50 mm that has the adjustable range knob calibrated for a 223. I don't want to spend a ton of money and would like to keep it under 300, any suggestions? Forgive my ignorance if I'm using the wrong terminology I'm new to scopes , thanks in advance.

Isn't 50mm but Nikon's M-223 is a very reasonably priced option with . What magnification are you looking at? I have a 2-8x but they also make a 3-12x and 4-16x. I got mine from Primary Arms for around $275 IIRC.

What your asking for is like pissing into the wind, your not going to be happy with the results. Don't do is half @$$ and be lazy, do it right, get a mil dot scope, then get the mil dot master, figure out range, bullet drop and adjust that way, If you want something cheap, get a Barska Swat, I use it for varmit and what not, its ok, I like it for what it is, and the value is good.

If any such creature exists with those specifications... I can assure you, it's going to be a total POS.

Good glass isn't cheap, great glass can easily cost you more than the rifle (and there's still the rings and mount to consider).

However... if you simply want to keep within your budget, the best bang for the buck out there is the SWFA Super Sniper line... SWFA Riflescopes SWFA SS Rifle Scopes SWFA SS Scopes SWFA SS MOA Scopes.

really? I thought I could find something quality for three bills, I'm not trying to half ass it just thought Icould find something that would be decent. maybe I should go with a scope that has a 223 mil dot? I don't hunt and this will just be a range toy so I was thinking 300 would get the job done but maybe not. I don't buy 50$ scopes but I also don't but 1000$ either.

really? I thought I could find something quality for three bills, I'm not trying to half ass it just thought Icould find something that would be decent. maybe I should go with a scope that has a 223 mil dot? I don't hunt and this will just be a range toy so I was thinking 300 would get the job done but maybe not. I don't buy 50$ scopes but I also don't but 1000$ either.

Have at it then, but you get what you pay for...

Hi-Lux Homepage

SWFA Riflescopes Leatherwood Rifle Scopes

300 is nothing for a scope. I bought my 3-12 nikon m-223 with bdc for more than that and its not a scope I'd brag about. A good scope like an s&b will cost you $2,000+

Agreed on spending more. Good glass is KEY. At the very least get an M223. I'm running a Bushnell Elite tactical 3-12x44 FFP Mil/Mil and it runs around $800 if you look hard enough, slap it on a Larue mount and you have a pretty damn good setup for the money.

Look for a Leupold AR rifle scope.

smitty
This will make you happy. If you haven't driven the 7.3 F350, then a Nissan Frontier will do you fine. If your desire and range time will be spent between 50 -200 yds, 3-400 will make you a happy camper. There are those of us that will spend that on rings and mounts, the glass will cost, as willie pointed out, more than some used vehicles cost. It all depends on you and what you want to accomplish. Hell, I put a Pentax on a 22 and it works, but I have a couple NF's and US Optic on my best rigs.

I know it's 2X your price range, but Leopold and Vortex both have decent scopes in the $600ish price range. No, they are not going to be quite as nice as US Optics or any of the other $2000+ scoped, but they are pretty decent.

First off thank you all for the advice, I sincerely had no idea good glass was that pricey night have to rethink my budget.

Seriously, you don't need to spend a fortune on a scope. $300 ought to get you a decent one, although I'm not sure about being calibrated for .223 trajectories. You can get around that by know your loads and velocity.

What are you expecting out of your scope? Load testing/development? Shooting small groups out to 300yds? General range shooting at objects such as clay birds? You can do all of that with a $100 scope. A $1000+ scope has it's uses to those who want it, but it's not a requirement for 95% of what it's actually used for.

Seriously, you don't need to spend a fortune on a scope. $300 ought to get you a decent one, although I'm not sure about being calibrated for .223 trajectories. You can get around that by know your loads and velocity.

What are you expecting out of your scope? Load testing/development? Shooting small groups out to 300yds? General range shooting at objects such as clay birds? You can do all of that with a $100 scope. A $1000+ scope has it's uses to those who want it, but it's not a requirement for 95% of what it's actually used for.

Here it is!

Thanks, it's just going to be a fun gun shooting clays and tannerite at the range. I rarely see anything past 200 but thought a scope calibrated for 223 would be cool. I think I'll spend a bit more and go with the Nikon, I really don't need a 1000$ scope or care to spend that much.

Thanks guys!

I.M.O. - A few things you should think about prior to buyng a .223 specific scope... If 200 yards is the max, you don't really need it as bullet drop isn't much of a factor. Also, say you decide the 223 isn't what you favor and decide to go with a different caliber upper, or even a different rifle/caliber alltogether. The scope becomes less desireable at that point.

Nikon glass is generally rated higher than the price point usually indicates. Their M223 line is getting some very good reviews. Just be sure to look at the M series. This uses their Monarch line of optics.

You can go absolutely crazy with optics and there is some justification when performance really matters. However, you need to decide what your use will be and make a decision based on that.

For example, for my .22 upper, I wanted something OK, but not anything budget busting. So I topped it with a fixed 10x Super Sniper. For what I use it for, it's been great.

For a $140 Gamo air gun, I topped it with a $60 Leapers and I'm making one hole groups at 25 meters when I do my job.

I would not want to use either of these in poor conditions. The Leapers has a terrible exit pupil size making quick shots impossible, but then I don't need quick shots with that gun. The image is pretty poor in anything but a nice day, but this gun is for backyard plinking and as such its a fun gun to play with. The Super Sniper has worked much better than I ever expected. The image is bright in every condition I've used it. Eye relief isn't as good as I'd like, but careful positioning and practice has made it very usable.

The point is, decide your needs and buy the tool to meet them. Sure, a US Optics scope is going to be outstanding, but if all you are shooting is your local club's 100-300 yard range on nice sunny days, the extra quality of the US Optics is not going to get you much over a decent Leupold or Nikon.

I'm not saying that you should settle for poor optics. But there is no reason to feel like you are short changing yourself. There are a lot of people making great shots with budget scopes. So long as the optic can hold zero, pass a box test, and provide a good image in the conditions you are most likely to need it, it will do the job.

Do not skimp on mounts. Putting a good optic onto something that can't hold it steady is a complete waste. You can go nuts here and get precision quick mount, or save some $$, and get mounts that are more or less permanent and lap them to make a solid base for the optic.

In the end, it isn't the optic that makes the shot, but the shooter. Saving $1000 to put into ammo so that you can take the gun out to various ranges in various conditions and learning how to make good hits is a much better value. Set your zero, and then keep a notebook with all the adjustments needed to shoot different ranges, wind, or other various conditions.

Back
Top Bottom