AR Mega Thread

You are going to have to take the gas block off to install a cheap free float. Yankee hill makes some inexpensive rails, kinda heavy. Model1 sales make some cheap handguards.
you can put a carbine length handguard on without replacing the gas block, if you want anything longer, you will need a low profile gas block. Yankee hill make a cheap one.

Or you can go with a 2 piece free float like a Midwest industries

If you wanted railed handguards, I would ditch that gas block you have on there, and grab a low profile one that also uses set screws (30 or so bucks from YHM) and sell that one on this forum and probably break even on the gas block. You can get great free float hand-guards in the 100-130 range, also from YHM. The problem is you will need a barrel wrench and action block to unscrew the barrel nut to replace it with the one for the free float hand-guards, and those will run you about another 70 bucks combined, but at least then you will have the tools.

What are you planning on mounting? bi-pod, broomstick, lasers, lights, etc? You can get carbine length clamp on quad rails (nothing is going to clear that gas block) but for a similar price you can get a free float setup on there and have some tools at the end of it.

Mike

Thanks for the help guys. No, not planning on mounting anything crazy, for now just a VG.

If all you want is a VFG, you can get bolt-on rail sections for those handguards you have now.

Another option is the MagPul MOE handguard (2-pc, drop in) and MOE VFG. That'll be a ~$40-50 venture.

The only downside to BCM is they won't pin and weld a muzzle device. So you'd have to get that done locally after the fact. I got my upper parts from Rainier Arms and they did a very nice job with the pin and weld.

That is IF you want a "muzzle device". For those of us shopping on a budget, why bother?

Was wondering if anyone in the Haverhill area had action blocks to lend or trade use for? I have a couple of modifications and an upper to assemble.

I had considered that one before ordering the fixture for machining. I have an upper I'm going to machine for a bolt charge handle. I thought I read a couple of negative reviews of the DPMS block....

F.Y.I.
I found some pretty good information about AR building on the Ultimate Reloader web site. They did a complete project called the "AR-15 Multipurpose Precision Rifle". There are several videos that detail all phases of the build including tool requirements, parts lists, and detailed assemblies. You can start here:
http://ultimatereloader.com/2010/12/11/ar-mpr-tool-inventory-for-ar-15-build/

I found the upper receiver build and head spacing videos to be very informative. Most folks opt for a completed upper, but some may want to experience a complete build up. While I don't think there's a lot of money to be saved by doing it, their video takes a lot of the mystery out of that part.

Question:
What type of Hammer- mallet is best for my AR build, Brass?
Went to harbor freight they just had the big ugly plastic coated mallet's.

Last edited:
Hammer? I have built an entire lower using a pair of channel lock pliers. Just be careful and use what you have.

My AR lower was built with a cheap pair of pliers and a screwdriver. Roll pin punch would have been a huge help.

I recently replaced the hammer and trigger pins with KNS anti-rotation pins, I used a small plastic/rubber hammer to do that.

Look what I did!!
IMG_3505.jpg

So easy!!

For the stock ? Yea, need to see how I will do it when I mount the stock. I don't want to drill the buffer tube messing with the spring. looks like there is a latch on the stock I hope I can just pin that so it will not move.

I believe he was referring to the pin in that secures the rear portion of the upper to the lower, just in front of the threaded area that the receiver extension twists into. You're off to a good start though, can't wait to get mine together! [cheers]

The pin in that secures the rear portion of the upper to the lower is something I need to do before the buffer tube goes on? Way new to all this.

The pin in that secures the rear portion of the upper to the lower is something I need to do before the buffer tube goes on? Way new to all this.

Good job on the lower parts install.

Yes, you'll need either a stock or a plate (all depends on the type of stock you're putting on) to hold the rear takedown detent and spring in the lower. Also, not in the pic is the buffer retainer spring and buffer retainer which you'll need to install when you have your buffer tube.

Here's mine.
Bushmaster lower with LPK
Spikes tactical upper 14.5" middy with pinned/welded PWS SM556
Magpul MOE handguards, stock (pinned), pistol grip, trigger guard, RVG
VTAC light mount
Primary Arms microdot
Magpul MBUS Gen 2
Magpul BAD
Magpul MS2 sling adapter
Spikes BCG
Waiting on BCM gunfighter CH and Surefire G2x LED
IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0121.jpg

Last edited:
Where can i buy stpped lowers and parts kit. like dpms. Is zero hour arms a good gun shop that will order me one

Back
Top Bottom