• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Mega Thread

I never found it necessary to lock-tite the barrel nut since the gas tube will prevent it from rotating at all anyway. If anything, grease it so you get the torque specs right.

Mike

I never found it necessary to lock-tite the barrel nut since the gas tube will prevent it from rotating at all anyway. If anything, grease it so you get the torque specs right.

Mike

we are talking about the outside of the barrel nut when a handguard screws on to it. Like a YHM. not the inside where it mates to the receiver

In that case I stand corrected. I don't think I used anything other than the anti-rotation screws and the jam nut and haven't had any issues. Though I suppose loctite certainly wouldn't hurt.

Mike

Going to take the plunge and build my first AR....likely with my young son "helping"

Have a lower......Remsport parts kit I'm buying this weekend, and looking at CMMG complete uppers. 16" carbine build I want to keep at a moderate price. SHTF gun.

Anyone have any experience with CMMG uppers?

Stay away from CMMG. Just go with spikes or bravo, they have both the most competitive pricing and are selling top tier products, among the best. And order the parts kit from them with the rest of your order.

If you build it with a 16 inch barrel, buy a 14.5 inch barrel and have remsport pin and weld the comp for you to bring it to a legal 16 inches.

Mike

Building the upper is the easy part. I've yet to see an upper from either company that wouldn't leave me swapping out at least a couple parts, so I would start from scratch. Just my .02. Spikes and BCM are both great companies, and I can say I'd trust my life to my Spikes AR.

Mike

If you get them pre-built from spikes (they have a handful of discounts so ask about them/google them first) they come in around 530. I think they charge about 70-80 to pin and weld a Mass compliant muzzle device on top of that. Add handguards, price goes up. Same with adding a cold hammer forged barrel. If you just want a basic solid upper I would go with the LE Mid length. If you want free float handguards... order the parts and build it yourself, your save yourself a little money and learn something at the same time. If you are going with a 14.5-16 inch barrel go with the mid length gas system, they run much smoother than the carbine length gas system.

Mike

Gas block and folding front sight question

I am planning my first AR build. I have a questions about the gas and folding iron sights. This may be a stupid question.

Does the front folding sight go on the gas block (I have seen some with a rail on top) or does it go on the end of the railed hand guard? My thought is to get a flat top with a round hand guard, but get a railed gas block instead of the standard A2 sight. That way I can up grade to railed hand guards in the future and I can fold the front sight our of view so that it won't co-witness with a red dot / holo sight.

Any thoughts?

I am planning my first AR build. I have a questions about the gas and folding iron sights. This may be a stupid question.

Does the front folding sight go on the gas block (I have seen some with a rail on top) or does it go on the end of the railed hand guard? My thought is to get a flat top with a round hand guard, but get a railed gas block instead of the standard A2 sight. That way I can up grade to railed hand guards in the future and I can fold the front sight our of view so that it won't co-witness with a red dot / holo sight.

Any thoughts?

Placement of the front folding sight is purely preference. Naturally you want the front sight out as far as possible to improve your aim, but again it's a preference thing.

Placement of the front folding sight is purely preference. Naturally you want the front sight out as far as possible to improve your aim, but again it's a preference thing.

Indeed. Just go for the longest sight radius reasonably possible.

Indeed. Just go for the longest sight radius reasonably possible.

It should also be noted that there are different sizes of folding front sights; one designed for handguard mounting (or on rail-height gas blocks), and one designed for regular gas blocks.

Whichever you choose, make sure you get the correct one. Using the incorrect front sight will lead to elevation issues.

Im also researching a build project for when I have money again, used Brownells AR builder and thinking a spikes lower with a bushmaster flattop upper. What else do I need if I go with the complete upper and lower besides scope which ill find at a later time if I feel I want one. Says I need an FFL for the lower, how do I go about doing that? Just bring in the product number for the lower and ask a gunshop to order it for me? know very little about building an AR other than what im reading here and still confused on a lot, any help would be appreciated.

Suggest another good upper? I really like the look of the Ruger SR556 so an upper in that style would be ideal:
ruger_sr556.jpg

Im also researching a build project for when I have money again, used Brownells AR builder and thinking a spikes lower with a bushmaster flattop upper. What else do I need if I go with the complete upper and lower besides scope which ill find at a later time if I feel I want one. Says I need an FFL for the lower, how do I go about doing that? Just bring in the product number for the lower and ask a gunshop to order it for me? know very little about building an AR other than what im reading here and still confused on a lot, any help would be appreciated.

Suggest another good upper? I really like the look of the Ruger SR556 so an upper in that style would be ideal:
ruger_sr556.jpg

I'd find a local FFL and talk to them about how to get the lower you want. If you want Spikes, they have a bunch of FFLs on file (there's a list on their website).

As for the upper, if you like the quad-rail tacticool look, Spikes and BCM have some decently inexpensive options (BCM also has some damn expensive options). BCM offers more or less "one of everything". If you can't find the config you want there, I don't know what to tell you.

I'd find a local FFL and talk to them about how to get the lower you want. If you want Spikes, they have a bunch of FFLs on file (there's a list on their website).

As for the upper, if you like the quad-rail tacticool look, Spikes and BCM have some decently inexpensive options (BCM also has some damn expensive options). BCM offers more or less "one of everything". If you can't find the config you want there, I don't know what to tell you.

The only downside to BCM is they won't pin and weld a muzzle device. So you'd have to get that done locally after the fact. I got my upper parts from Rainier Arms and they did a very nice job with the pin and weld.

El Duderino, realize that the Ruger is a piston upper and that's part of why it looks like that. You may or may not want a piston but there are plenty of uppers that look similar. If you do want a piston upper, I've heard good things about PWS and they're not ridiculous money.

Last edited:
I worked with Garret at Spikes to pick out the lower I wanted (with Spikes buffer tube assembly) and just had him ship everything out to North Shore Firearms for transfer and pickup. We asked Mike @ NSF to fax his FFL details out which he did right away and confirmed with Spikes that they received it. The whole process is very easy as long as you communicate with both parties effectively.

The only downside to BCM is they won't pin and weld a muzzle device. So you'd have to get that done locally after the fact. I got my upper parts from Rainier Arms and they did a very nice job with the pin and weld.

Good point. They're still just about the kings of too-many-options, though.

They pinned and welded mine. I ordered a 14.5" mid length and pinning and welding the brake was a standard option.

I noticed it was only on 14.5"s ...nothing else. But, hey it met my need, so I'm very happy. I had the PWS FSC556 put on and love it.

They pinned and welded mine. I ordered a 14.5" mid length and pinning and welding the brake was a standard option.

I noticed it was only on 14.5"s ...nothing else. But, hey it met my need, so I'm very happy. I had the PWS FSC556 put on and love it.

Hmm, they told me they don't do that. Oh well. Nevermind.

I think they might only do it on the 14,5's with muzzle-thingies that will get the barrel over 16". I've noticed they have a few 14.5" barrels/uppers where it's a standard option.

BCM offers options for pinning/welding a muzzle device. They only offer the PWS FSC556, Battlecomp, and extended A2 (which is not compliant).

Guys, I need a little help and I'm hoping you can provide some helpful advice

I picked up my first AR today, an M&P 15 ORC. I was scouring the 'for sale' section here and found a few AR's which appealed to me, but then Four Seasons ran a sale on the ORC and I pulled the trigger.

The first thing I did was pickup some optics, a Bushnell Red dot 1x32 from Sprocket (thanks again), but now I'm trying to figure out whether I've really narrowed my ability to modify the handguard and/or add rails.

I've been reading about free floating barrels and whether they're as effective on 16" vs longer barrels, and I know the gas block on the ORC is set I believe higher than on the standard M&P 15. All I really want right now is a decent handguard/set of rails to mount stuff to without breaking the bank or forcing me to replace the gas block.

In the best of all worlds, I'm looking for a rail system which is effective, yet something I can afford and install myself. Sorry in advance if I sound like I don't know the first thing about AR's, this is my first one and I really don't, just looking for some advice if possible.

bg6wck.jpg

Back
Top Bottom