• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Colt magazine adapter for AR9?

milktree

NES Member
Are they all the same?
Are the expensive ones worth the extra money?

Which one is the peak of the price : performance curve?

Last edited:
Long story short: Yes, worth the extra money.
I'm trying to remember back when I went through this. It's been like 6 years. So memory and going through email history isn't quite perfect.
by the looks of it I went through 2 ProMags before I resold them and bought one for twice the cost.
I want to say the Promags were $45 and the new one I went to was $80. I can't for the life of me find what and where I got that one from.

Long story short: Yes, worth the extra money.
I'm trying to remember back when I went through this. It's been like 6 years. So memory and going through email history isn't quite perfect.
by the looks of it I went through 2 ProMags before I resold them and bought one for twice the cost.
I want to say the Promags were $45 and the new one I went to was $80. I can't for the life of me find what and where I got that one from.

How do the crappy ones fail?

i think i was just having FTF issues or jamming?
Edit-
I found it! Found the Brownells order confirmation. And I paid way more. $190 back in 2018
I went to a Hahn Precision
Bottom Loading 9mm Conversion Block

Last edited:
It's now $216 woof.

Also looks like they have other versions that are more money. Dedicated models. Mine is designed to come in and out so i can swap with a 300Blackout upper.
I haven't had any problems with the Hahn since I went to it. Locks in place with a little allen head set screw

It's now $216 woof.

Also looks like they have other versions that are more money. Dedicated models. Mine is designed to come in and out so i can swap with a 300Blackout upper.
I haven't had any problems with the Hahn since I went to it. Locks in place with a little allen head set screw
$187.02 with code builder15 and the top loading version is $162.79

The Hahn mag blocks are among the best available, everyone else copies these.
The bottom loading block can come out when you don't expect it to, so its not recommended for a use where timely magazine changes are important. The non-dedicated top adaptor is their least expensive offering and you only give up the last round bolt hold open -which itself is only as reliable as your magazines. I have an estimated 100 thousand rounds through one of these

The Hahn mag blocks are among the best available, everyone else copies these.
The bottom loading block can come out when you don't expect it to, so its not recommended for a use where timely magazine changes are important. The non-dedicated top adaptor is their least expensive offering and you only give up the last round bolt hold open -which itself is only as reliable as your magazines. I have an estimated 100 thousand rounds through one of these

dumb this down for me:

I can't tell the difference (other than $25) between

"AR-15 Top 9mm Adapter" : AR-15 Top 9mm Adapter

and

"AR-15 Dedicated 9mm Adapter" AR-15 Dedicated 9mm Adapter

They both say, "FOR COLT/RRA 9MM TYPE UPPER RECEIVERS ONLY". I'm not sure what that means, what's the other kind(s)?

TBH, the MEAN EndoMag® is a lot easier unless you have another reason for using standard-capacity colt mags (ban state, already own a bunch for another gun, etc).

I can't tell the difference (other than $25) between
Toolless drops in from above, while "dedicated" can only be installed/removed by also removing the bolt catch.

TBH, the MEAN EndoMag® is a lot easier unless you have another reason for using standard-capacity colt mags (ban state, already own a bunch for another gun, etc).

I have a bunch of pre-ban Uzi mags.

Toolless drops in from above, while "dedicated" can only be installed/removed by also removing the bolt catch.

OK, let me rephrase. I realize I didn't actually ask the question I thought I was asking.

Why would anyone buy the more expensive one? The only thing I can think of is that it comes with the bolt catch.

Is it stronger? More stable? Fit better? More reliable? Or just the bolt catch?

Uzi mags don't have the right follower for a last bolt hold open catch anyway, but I can imagine having real Colt magazines someday, so the bolt catch has more than zero value, even if it's theoretical.

(I also vaguely remember, but can't find right now, that it's possible to modify Uzi mags to work with Colt's LRHO catch.)

For anyone who's following along at home:

I decided on the "dedicated" adapter from Hahn Precision. I talked to the owner on the phone (I think he was the owner) and he was super helpful. The "Dedicated" version has the LRBHO thingie built in, and it's more sturdy than the "top loading" one. He said if you're not going to swap configurations all the time, the dedicated version is a better product.

I haven't installed it or anything yet, but it feels really solid and like a ton of engineering went into it.

I really like this little detail: (for those of us who have a bunch of metric and English tools)

Hahn_adapter_IMG_9514.JPG

For anyone who's following along at home:

I decided on the "dedicated" adapter from Hahn Precision. I talked to the owner on the phone (I think he was the owner) and he was super helpful. The "Dedicated" version has the LRBHO thingie built in, and it's more sturdy than the "top loading" one. He said if you're not going to swap configurations all the time, the dedicated version is a better product.

I haven't installed it or anything yet, but it feels really solid and like a ton of engineering went into it.

I really like this little detail: (for those of us who have a bunch of metric and English tools)

View attachment 867003

Good choice! That's what I went with, too. You'll be happy. Mine has been perfect for many years now and has had a few different uppers in that time. LRBHO always works and I never have any issues. You get what you pay for.

Back
Top Bottom