• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR Mega Thread

Quick Question: Any particular buffer assembly one should use for a rifle length buffer, other than whatever's cheap on brownells? The JP Low-Mass looks cool, but everyone seems to say it should be used for competition only.

I'm reading that using a carbine buffer in a rifle tube can cause damage. Anyone know anything about this?

Anyone know any places to quickly grab a rifle buffer around HSC or metrowest?

Almost done with my build... did some work on it tonight. Ended up putting my mid-length Magpul MOE handguard up for Karma and picked up a 13" Troy TRX Extreme rail on sale during the 4th of July weekend. I got my 16" WOA barrel, YHM low-profile gas block, mid-length gas tube, and TRX handguard mounted up tonight and it finally took the shape of a complete gun pretty much - looks great. The 13" TRX is very comfortable and looks great with the 16" barrel. Have to get my YHM Phantom comp pinned on the barrel so it will be complete, and then pick up some BUIS and some mags so I can go shoot it. Should have some pics maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:
heres my ongoing build

287980_698576410605_49405466_35664033_3550033_o.jpg

stag lower, daniel defense lpk, PSA upper and an ACE stock

99% Finished - just have to get the muzzle brake pinned/welded and it's GTG. Picked up some preban mags and BUIS so it looks 'complete' now.

AR22.jpg

AR20.jpg

AR19.jpg

AR24.jpg

Can't wait to finally get it out to the range.

Couple stupid questions, finally planning on ordering an AR in the next month or so, think it will be a spikes. First off, pinning the stock, what position should I pin it in? Any way to find out which would be best for me? Or does it really not matter.

Also they have a 'install a bullet button' option under compliance options, is this something I need for MA? Never heard of it before so wasnt sure
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/add-install-bullet-button-p-575.html

Lastly, shipping it to an FFL. Im sure it would be a courtesy to let the ffl know im having the rifle shipped to them?

I know I have more questions just cant remember what they were [thinking]

Thanks in advance.

The bullet button is a California thing, not needed for MA.

You should contact your desired FFL before hand to give them a heads up that you're having a rifle shipped in to them for the transfer, plus you'll need to get their FFL number for Spike's (unless Spike's already has it on file) so they can ship it in. Also see if the FFL can pin the stock for you when it arrives. That way you can go test out the different positions on the stock and they can pin it in place before doing the transfer so you'll stay on the safe side of the law.

Couple stupid questions, finally planning on ordering an AR in the next month or so, think it will be a spikes. First off, pinning the stock, what position should I pin it in? Any way to find out which would be best for me? Or does it really not matter.

Also they have a 'install a bullet button' option under compliance options, is this something I need for MA? Never heard of it before so wasnt sure
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/add-install-bullet-button-p-575.html

Lastly, shipping it to an FFL. Im sure it would be a courtesy to let the ffl know im having the rifle shipped to them?

I know I have more questions just cant remember what they were [thinking]

Thanks in advance.

As far as the stock position you might be able to find an NESer that has a pre-ban setup with a collapsible stock to test out.

No need for the bullet button option...that is for California. They are required to have a "tool" to remove their mags and the tip of a bullet can work hence the name "bullet button".

In regards to the FFL definitely give them a call. You will most likely need to get a copy of your FFLs license...also they will want the FFL license from the company you are buying from.

Back
Top Bottom