PFC Lower C15, Dedicated 22LR Upper with Black Dog Machine Drum
261430_1993613953598_1040884673_3313286_6865278_n.jpg

S&W M&P15 Sport, Done all in Magpul MOE, and with Bad Lever:
251377_1986551057030_1040884673_3305819_50883_n.jpg

264590_1991148771970_1040884673_3310792_2359995_n.jpg

Both together:
249502_1976254119613_1040884673_3292072_4937199_n.jpg

Last edited:
This about sums it up. Too bad I only have a stripped lower right now...

I mean do you want to compete (if so how, USPSA/3gun, Highpower), shoot little furry critters, look like a ninja cop ready to shoot someone's dog, defend your home, or just throw lead down range?

Finally got the ball rolling again on my AR that I started a while back. Got in on the original American Weapon Systems AWS-15 group buy and picked up a matching upper & lower. So far have into it:

AWS lower
DPMS lower parts kit
Ace skeleton fixed stock
AWS upper
BCM bolt carrier group
Noveske charging handle
Misc forward assist/ejection port cover

On the way/waiting to be installed:
White Oak Armament 16" match barrel
YHM Phantom comp/brake
Magpul MOE mid-length handguard

Will eventually ditch the MOE handguard and get a long quad rail system for the tacticool factor and to mount misc. goodies on it (do they make toaster ovens that fit picatinny rails?). Going to get a set of BUIS... probably Troy. Will eventually get a decent optic as well, something along the lines of an EoTech or Aimpoint. Would love a nice ACOG but $$$. Barrel should be here early/middle next week so I will post up some pics then.

Interesting, I haven't seen these before. Thanks for the link.

I like the MOE hand guards, and wish I had gotten my carbine done with a midlength gas system so I could have gotten a little more space to reach out further with my support hand.

I have rails on one of my other uppers, and a JP tube on my rifle. I like the tube WAY better then the rails.

Check this place out, it may make you want to keep your MOE hand guards.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/

I like the MOE hand guards, and wish I had gotten my carbine done with a midlength gas system so I could have gotten a little more space to reach out further with my support hand.

I have rails on one of my other uppers, and a JP tube on my rifle. I like the tube WAY better then the rails.

That's a clever idea, thanks for the link. Looks like they'll work on the JP tube too (I love mine too, btw).

Thanks for the input. I haven't handled one with the MOE handguards on yet, but they feel pretty good in my hand. I figure if I don't really like them I will give them away in the Karma section. I know I wanted a mid-length minimum and finding a rifle-length 16" barrel was going to be difficult... and I really didn't need it for any particular reason. I like the aesthetics of a 16" barrel with a long 12-13" quad rail down it with no FSP, but I also like the look of the MOE guards. I guess that's why AR-15's were made... cause it just means I get to build another upper with whatever I don't use on this build [smile]

Well you won't find a 16" rifle length gas system, but you could do a "dissy" upper;

868W9704-1024-Stick.jpg

16" mid length with MOE hand guards will serve you well. And when you want to play with a new idea, build an other upper.[devil2]

Oh yes, it's already addicting and I haven't even finished my first build. They're like Legos for grown-ups that go "boom"

Now - dumb question, but I can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere. The barrel assembly I am using will have a YHM low-profile gas block on it with the mid-length system. Will the MOE handguards still work fine with this setup? Every MOE setup I can find has a front sight post that sits right in front of it. I have some misc. parts around here, including a round handguard cap. Will this setup still work solidly or do you need a FSP to "complete" it?

Oh yes, it's already addicting and I haven't even finished my first build. They're like Legos for grown-ups that go "boom"

Now - dumb question, but I can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere. The barrel assembly I am using will have a YHM low-profile gas block on it with the mid-length system. Will the MOE handguards still work fine with this setup? Every MOE setup I can find has a front sight post that sits right in front of it. I have some misc. parts around here, including a round handguard cap. Will this setup still work solidly or do you need a FSP to "complete" it?

If you're planning to go over the lo-pro block I think you'll be fine, but I can't confirm as I haven't tried it. Now if you plan to go right up to the gas block I think you're out of luck as I believe the MOE uses the front handguard cap before the FSB. I'll know more this week when I receive mine.

If you're planning to go over the lo-pro block I think you'll be fine, but I can't confirm as I haven't tried it. Now if you plan to go right up to the gas block I think you're out of luck as I believe the MOE uses the front handguard cap before the FSB. I'll know more this week when I receive mine.

Hmm ok. I might be out of luck then. As far as I know, my gas block will land just in front of the hand guard as the barrel has a mid-length system and the hand guards are designed for a mid-length system. Unless the gas block will keep the cap pinned against the hand guard? I guess I will just have to wait and see. Like I said, worst case scenario is I get rid of the hand guards and pick something else up.

This is correct. Are you buying a built upper, or parts to assemble?

My upper is already built as it's a CMMG 9mm upper. I have enough AR's with DD rails, YHM rails (btw which I hate now that I have the DD Omega's), and stock handguards. I like the MOE on my ACR so I figure I'll try it on my 9mm upper with an AFG to see how it goes.

Hmm ok. I might be out of luck then. As far as I know, my gas block will land just in front of the hand guard as the barrel has a mid-length system and the hand guards are designed for a mid-length system. Unless the gas block will keep the cap pinned against the hand guard? I guess I will just have to wait and see. Like I said, worst case scenario is I get rid of the hand guards and pick something else up.

Re-thinking what I said earlier.... The MOE won't work for you at all. For some reason I was thinking you had the "dissy" setup that edmorseiii had posted. You need to have the FSB with handguard cap to allow the front of the MOE to be held in place. So I don't think it'll work for you at all.

One thing I was thinking about doing with my 9mm build was to get the Troy TRX or maybe the Samson Evolution. Those were the two I was looking at before I started liking my ACR's MOE.

Gotcha. Oh well, no biggie. I got a good deal on them and I will offer them up in Karma then. Time to save up a little more cash so I can pick up a decent rail system to finish it up.

I have a Troy 13.8" railed hand guard that is pretty sweet for a tactical cheese grater. In hind sight, I wish I would have went with the Troy VTAC TRX tube. http://troyind.com/ /battlerails/vtac-rail-trx-extreme-by-troy-13

Like I said, I am kind of over the rails and prefer a tube. [wink]

I was just checking out Troy's site to see their offerings - seems like a lot of good stuff. I like the TRX 13" (standard and extreme) and the 13.8" MRF-RX rail. If you end up wanting to ditch your rail, let me know as I would probably be interested.

Did BCM ever go to production with a dissy? Some reading on m4carbine seemed to indicate only Adco, Bushmaster, and Spike's had been making them, but I didn't see anything on Spike's or BCM's sites about a dissy.

Did BCM ever go to production with a dissy? Some reading on m4carbine seemed to indicate only Adco, Bushmaster, and Spike's had been making them, but I didn't see anything on Spike's or BCM's sites about a dissy.

I looked on their page quickly for a picture or link, and the only thing I saw is what they call a "Kino", or something like that, but it is a short barrel upper with the FSB moved away from the gas block.

I looked on their page quickly for a picture or link, and the only thing I saw is what they call a "Kino", or something like that, but it is a short barrel upper with the FSB moved away from the gas block.

Ahh yea, I missed that one looking for the 16" haha, maybe it's a good thing they only have the 12.5" so I can save some money! [laugh]

Interesting idea though, thanks again for the info, learned something new.

I was just having a little bit of fun. Saw the original 'What do you want to do with your AR? ' statement and could only think of the 'I Wanna Rock' video from waaay back. I do have a stripped lower and my plan right now is simply to read and digest. First build will likely be a SHTF 16 or 18" mid-length. After that I may build a competition rifle. I build my own computers and this process stimulates the same part of my person. Great thing about building rifles is they don't plummet in value like computers do...

I mean do you want to compete (if so how, USPSA/3gun, Highpower), shoot little furry critters, look like a ninja cop ready to shoot someone's dog, defend your home, or just throw lead down range?

I was just having a little bit of fun. Saw the original 'What do you want to do with your AR? ' statement and could only think of the 'I Wanna Rock' video from waaay back. I do have a stripped lower and my plan right now is simply to read and digest. First build will likely be a SHTF 16 or 18" mid-length. After that I may build a competition rifle. I build my own computers and this process stimulates the same part of my person. Great thing about building rifles is they don't plummet in value like computers do...

I would say a 16" mid length is a great place to start, that's where I started. If you are going to do an 18", you may as well do a rifle length gas system. It will hit way softer then the mid length.

???

Getting ready to put on my collapsible DPMS stock tonight. Do I need to worry about pinning this thing before mounting this to the lower receiver or just go for it and put it on and figure out pinning the stock later?

Back
Top Bottom