Any one of us who doesnt drop business with Bank of America is a two faced loser

So what national bank isn't anti-2A and has branches in New England? Wells Fargo has nothing nearby. I'm with BoA now and need to keep a national bank for interstate travel.
You would be better off with a credit union that participates in shared branching. We were with Service Credit Union in NH and moved to TX. We were able to go into almost any credit union down here and use it just like it was our own branch - deposits, withdrawals, cashiers checks, etc. We did that for about 6 months and then finally switched our accounts to a local CU. We walked in, set up our accounts, they electronically withdrew our money from the old account and then "deposited" it into our new account. No hassle. Now when we travel back to NH we don't worry about running out of cash as we can simply walk into almost any credit union up there and get more cash if we need it.

Just applied for a Wells Fargo CC. I will be ditching my Citi (because they feel the need to be part of the gun control movement, too) card when it comes in.
Exactly. from the article in the OP:

"USA Today noted that, aside from the corporations that had already cut ties with the National Rifle Association, Bank of America now joins Citigroup and Amalgamated Bank in using their corporate power against the gun industry.

Citigroup
recently announced they would no longer do business with retailers that sold firearms to anyone under the age of 21, or any retailer that sold bump stocks or “high-capacity magazines” to anyone at all. Amalgamated Bank announced they will no longer invest any assets “in companies that manufacture or distribute firearms, weaponry or ammunition.”"

Well, with some pols it is a complete waste of time but I meant more with businesses... money talks, particularly when you can communicate the message that they ain't getting any of yours only because of some political horseshit they pull.

-Mike
Spoke to chubb directly. Was fun because they had to cut me back a check for $46. My agent is a friend and gunowner and we was all over it too. The painter bitched to local ace hardware. BOA will hear my side soon enough.

I don't have a BofA account. But even if I did I don't think it's a good idea to just arbitrarily make financial decisions based on emotion. Credit Cards you can cancel as they are readily available through any other financial institution. And if you are carrying a balance you may be able to get a zero interest balance transfer for little or no fee. That would be a smart thing to do no matter what if you are carrying any balances.

For people to just pick up and move a mortgage or car loan, well that takes time.

If you are in these situations do not let emotion drive your financial decision. Plan it out and shop around for whatever transactions and rates that are better suited to your financial needs and goals.

If you have a BofA account and are not in a situation to change or you do not want to change that you are not a two faced loser. We all make our decisions based on what is best for us and our families. Move accounts of you want but make sure it makes financial sense for you and meets your financial needs.

Knee Jerk reactions to these statements can hurt your finances. And who is to say that next month another lender isn't spewing the same rhetoric. One more school shooting and every business will be mouthing off in the media. So do your research before you make any serious financial decisions.

No one is suggesting that anyone create an unnecessary financial hardship upon themselves; however, voting with your dollar is important, and given that some people aren’t even willing to give up relatively insignificant credit card perks in order to take a principled stand I think it’s fair to question their conviction.

No one is suggesting that anyone create an unnecessary financial hardship upon themselves; however, voting with your dollar is important, and given that some people aren’t even willing to give up relatively insignificant credit card perks in order to take a principled stand I think it’s fair to question their conviction.

Well, it read like that. I mean the title of the thread just about says it all..."Any one of us who doesn't drop business with Bank of America is a two faced loser"

I'm just not into bashing people over how they choose to manage their finances. If the manufacturer of your car came out as anti would you sell your car? How about the makers of your clothes? Would you burn them in your back yard.

Yes, we can choose to not do future business with these companies but what happens when they all take that stance? Will you never do business with any of them again? Is that realistic? Who has the time to keep track?

What about your employer? Will you quit your job? What about vendors if you are a business owner? Will you use the vendor that is pro 2A but charges 25 to 30% more than the other guy for supplies and services?

I'll fight with my political representatives on the phone and in the voting booth and support pro 2A political organizations that advocate gun rights. I will continue to try to educate others to use their votes for pols and to support pro2A candidates. And even though I will not begrudge anyone who jumps ship on a company because that company took a political stance, I'm not calling anyone a loser because they do not.

As a group we want less government in our lives telling us what to do. So I can't say I agree with the sentiment behind the title of the thread.

Well, it read like that. I mean the title of the thread just about says it all..."Any one of us who doesn't drop business with Bank of America is a two faced loser"

I'm just not into bashing people over how they choose to manage their finances. If the manufacturer of your car came out as anti would you sell your car? How about the makers of your clothes? Would you burn them in your back yard.

Yes, we can choose to not do future business with these companies but what happens when they all take that stance? Will you never do business with any of them again? Is that realistic? Who has the time to keep track?

What about your employer? Will you quit your job? What about vendors if you are a business owner? Will you use the vendor that is pro 2A but charges 25 to 30% more than the other guy for supplies and services?

I'll fight with my political representatives on the phone and in the voting booth and support pro 2A political organizations that advocate gun rights. I will continue to try to educate others to use their votes for pols and to support pro2A candidates. And even though I will not begrudge anyone who jumps ship on a company because that company took a political stance, I'm not calling anyone a loser because they do not.

As a group we want less government in our lives telling us what to do. So I can't say I agree with the sentiment behind the title of the thread.

I get it, I read your soliloquy.

How much are rights worth? I can’t answer the question for anyone else.

I get it, I read your soliloquy.

How much are rights worth? I can’t answer the question for anyone else.

As a Massachusetts resident I can answer that question.

They say things are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

In Massachusetts I would say that adds up to $100.00 and a bit more of my dignity every 6 years.

To me, that's the fight we need to focus on and that's the fight we need to win. But that's me.

You mean "I" ruinedmy credit

I have a bunch of buddies who all complain about having low credit limits because they didn't get cards until they were in their mid 20s. From what I can tell the legislation put in to "protect" people from getting credit they can't manage has just left people complaining that Discover will only give them a $2k limit so they have to buy their international vacation stuff not on a card. [rofl]

16 is fairly young for a card, but I rocked my $500 limit at 18 where I couldn't even buy all my books at once on the credit card. [banana]

Then again my parents sent me to school with a copy of this:

dont-buy-stuff-you-cant-afford_o_2721917.jpg

dont_buy_stuff-719998.jpg

I have a bunch of buddies who all complain about having low credit limits because they didn't get cards until they were in their mid 20s. From what I can tell the legislation put in to "protect" people from getting credit they can't manage has just left people complaining that Discover will only give them a $2k limit so they have to buy their international vacation stuff not on a card. [rofl]

16 is fairly young for a card, but I rocked my $500 limit at 18 where I couldn't even buy all my books at once on the credit card. [banana]

Then again my parents sent me to school with a copy of this:

dont-buy-stuff-you-cant-afford_o_2721917.jpg

dont_buy_stuff-719998.jpg

The SNL skit of that is great!

That's only if you are a Premier Platinum Plus member. Its 100 free trades, not all free. If you buy a mutual fund, you still pay a fee. Stocks and ETFs dont (for the first 100 each month).

The majority of people dont keep that amount of money. I believe it is at least $100K for the free trades, for a minimum of 3 months before it hits.

Yes, all true. All of my investments (outside my 401k) are through ML, so its not hard to get to the tipping point. Even at 50k there are some nice perks. I don't think I've done more than 30 trades/month, but I can see an active day trader hitting that harder. No fee's for stocks or ETF's.

I was also able to get a very attractive used car loan APR.

Not to mention the pretty ridiculous CC rewards. 1.75/3.5/5.25. I use my card for business expenses frequently. All adds up.

I find the stance that some of these large companies very scary. You put few of these giant banks together and all of a sudden they are influencing policy though purchasing power. Think about it. Just like that they are going around the political process because they have that much influence. While the libs may think this is great, they should look very carefully at this. Companies influencing major issues can go both ways.

I understand the concept of a monopoly. I even, although reluctantly, get the too big to fail theory. But this is a whole new world we are about to head into. All of a sudden I am starting to have an unfavorable view of any corporation that is very large. I always thought that government intervention on mergers, oligopolies, etc. should only be done as a last resort, but now I do not feel that way anymore. Just think of the influence of Amazon, BofA, Citigroup, GM and GE would have if they banded together regarding policy. F'n scary.

I find the stance that some of these large companies very scary. You put few of these giant banks together and all of a sudden they are influencing policy though purchasing power. Think about it. Just like that they are going around the political process because they have that much influence. While the libs may think this is great, they should look very carefully at this. Companies influencing major issues can go both ways.

Is the company trying to influence politics or just trying to gain/maintain customers? They watch the news, they hear the narrative, they follow popular opinion. It's corporate political correctness for self-preservation. No doubt this screenshot from BoA originated with the Marketing Department rather than Deep-Felt Convictions Department.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 17.34.04.png
Source: https://about.bankofamerica.com/en-...ts_DefaultSHL2_bankOnLoveCta#fbid=M_98lRvDYg3

Is the company trying to influence politics or just trying to gain/maintain customers? They watch the news, they hear the narrative, they follow popular opinion. It's corporate political correctness for self-preservation. No doubt this screenshot from BoA originated with the Marketing Department rather than Deep-Felt Convictions Department.

View attachment 230529
Source: Love Has No Labels: A Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion

Let's call it unintended consequences for now. But this can go from a marketing strategy to influencing politics and circumventing of personal rights very quickly. How hard are these companies being lobbied right now by certain activist groups?

Wells Fargo CFO: Government, Not Banks, Should Set Gun-Safety Policies

"Wells Fargo & Co. believes the U.S. government, rather than banks, should set rules to promote gun safety, its finance chief said on Friday.

The No. 3 U.S. lender has been talking to customers who legally manufacture firearms, but is “not currently setting policy in our extension of credit,” Chief Financial Officer John Shrewsberry said during a call with reporters."

Read more: Wells Fargo Has No Plans to Halt Business with Gunmakers -CFO | Newsmax.com

I'm about to shift over to USAA as my primary banker. I've had my homeowners and auto insurance through them for years and probably should have done my regular banking through them as well all along.

BoA really screwed themselves when they pissed me off because my wife and two of my three kids (legal adults now) also have had (until now) BoA accounts. So BoA will lose FOUR customers - and all four of us will let them know why. I hope their attempts to usurp our (and their own) individual liberty was worth it!

I'm about to shift over to USAA as my primary banker. I've had my homeowners and auto insurance through them for years and probably should have done my regular banking through them as well all along.

BoA really screwed themselves when they pissed me off because my wife and two of my three kids (legal adults now) also have had (until now) BoA accounts. So BoA will lose FOUR customers - and all four of us will let them know why. I hope their attempts to usurp our (and their own) individual liberty was worth it!

Absolutely can’t go wrong with USAA. Great company.

I’m curious if the OP has dumped BOA yet himself or if he’s still a two faced loser, as the title suggests we all are.

Got it. You don’t feel the need for bank branches in more than one region, therefore nobody else should. Same line of reasoning as the anti-2A crowd saying they don’t feel any need for guns and so we shouldn’t have them, either.

I sometimes need to visit a bank branch today, regardless of what region I’m in. Can anyone recommend a national alternative to BoA in our area?
Unless you're depositing cash or directly cashing checks, in 2018 you really don't need to visit the branch. Just saying.
I haven't been to a bank branch save for depositing pocket change in a little local bank. My main money is in a bank with 1 office in like 200 miles.

BofA's perks are REALLY hard to beat...
Free trades with Merill Lynch
Free ATM withdrawls (any ATM)
Some of the best credit card rewards

I'll consider alternatives... but I am pretty stingy with my money.
Schwab has a wicked high interest rate, cheap trades, free atm withdrawls, from any ATM, even the $10 fee a**h***s. And You can get the Schwab Platinum Amex, which is dope. Membership points right back into account, $200 back on airline fees, $200 uber credit, Precheck cost reimbursement, 5x points on travel, plus all the lounges, conciege, etc. Points are worth 1.25 cents. Dollar per point. So 1.25% cash back, not bad
The NRA invests with schwab.
The NRA and its Freedom Action Foundation bank only with Wells Fargo, according to documents filed with state regulators. The group’s Civil Rights Defense Fund had bank and investment accounts at Wells Fargo and an investment account at Morgan Stanley. The NRA Foundation also had bank and investment accounts at Wells Fargo, and a separate investment account at Charles Schwab.

Got it. You don’t feel the need for bank branches in more than one region, therefore nobody else should. Same line of reasoning as the anti-2A crowd saying they don’t feel any need for guns and so we shouldn’t have them, either.

I sometimes need to visit a bank branch today, regardless of what region I’m in. Can anyone recommend a national alternative to BoA in our area?

Unless you're depositing cash or directly cashing checks, in 2018 you really don't need to visit the branch. Just saying.
I haven't been to a bank branch save for depositing pocket change in a little local bank. My main money is in a bank with 1 office in like 200 miles.

I'm glad that works for your financial activities. It doesn't for mine.

If you have a BofA credit card, it is better to just stop using in rather than cancel it.

First, it costs BoA a bit to service even an unused card.

Second, dropping a card will mean a small hit on your credit score. Less credit, a higher utilization ratio, and shortening the average age of your accounts. Even if you are a deadbeat like me (pay in full every month), the outstanding charge is calculated as "credit use" during the time before the bill is paid.

If you have a BofA credit card, it is better to just stop using in rather than cancel it.

First, it costs BoA a bit to service even an unused card.

Second, dropping a card will mean a small hit on your credit score. Less credit, a higher utilization ratio, and shortening the average age of your accounts. Even if you are a deadbeat like me (pay in full every month), the outstanding charge is calculated as "credit use" during the time before the bill is paid.
If you buy a coffee or 1 box ammo/mo and refuse e-delivery, the bank has to mail statement which adds to cost while not having account go inactive. Does the extra it costs to open and deposit payment by check sent by USPS exceed value of a stamp?

Well, for what it's worth, my wife and I finally dumped BoA. Changing banks is a pain is a pain in the ass.... We've been wanting to change for a while but dreaded it and kept putting it off, we started with Baybank back 20+ years ago. I'm not going to mention my new bank because I'm sure someone will find a reason to give me shit for using it, lol, I'm just happy to be away from BoA!

-chris

1. Dick's
2. Starbucks
3. Bank of America
4. NBA
5. CNN (Clinton News Network)

Someone should make a pinned "boycott list" thread of all companies who are anti gun so we know which to avoid and who to support.

Back
Top Bottom