• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

anti gun sign

The sign is not new. It has been posted since they opened up there. I have never been in Jared's nor do I ever plan to.

IIRC it also states that you are not supposed to have a firearm on your person in the parking lot either, thus making a firearms policy for the entire shopping center. The only time I ever go to that shopping center is to visit L.L. Bean and then not very frequently.

Mark L.

Very interesting that the sign posted by the OP does not use the word MAN, IE person could be a corporation or a so called natural person.

But think about this how can you define the word with the word within the definition ?

Person is (from memory) latin or maybe greek from the word persona or the mask we wear.

So take off your mask and this statute does not apply to you ?

Anyone for a NES picket line with this sign?:

"There are NO GUNS in this store. They hate them. Even yours. An armed robber would not be resisted at this JEWELRY STORE."

Just a thought...

Another question: What happens if the police ever have to respond to a call for a robbery at Jared's Jewelers?

Based on this signage, I guess they would have to disarm before proceeding?

Sounds like the Amica of the jewelry business.

Except that nobody could substantiate that they have a corporate policy against gun ownership. So other than that small wrinkle, it's exactly the same.

Actually, we proved very easily, citing Amica's website, that they are perfectly willing to insure firearms at least on a corporate level. For the record, though, your sarcasm and point were both duly noted. I just hate paranoia.

Yeah because that sign will totally prevent people from robbing their store with a gun.

Of course it will… It clearly says "NO person…" That includes criminals! Unless they're illiterate, or don't speak English, or don't mind tacking a Trespass charge onto an Armed Robbery Felony… But I am SURE they will not be carrying anything not Mass-compliant either…

On a positive note, my new signature is an indirect homage to their sign, so I do thank them for that at least...

Screw them and their effing annoying douche-y commercials anyway. Nail in the coffin.

Copy that!

The radio commercials always make me cringe.

The sign isn't binding, but they can kick you out if they caught you carrying, and concievably you could get bagged for trespassing if you stuck around after they told you to leave. MA is a "trespass standard" state, and any signage here isn't legally binding.

I wouldn't buy a damned thing from them, though... that sign is obnoxious. (as is their radio commercials... don't get me started)

-Mike

that just got me thinking - I was watching reservoir dogs last night, where the whole premise surrounded a diamond heist. Not that I think a 2bit operation like Jared has a pile of valuable stones sitting around, they DO have a lot of cash on the premises in addition to some high value items...a jewelry store is the LAST place I'd work if I couldn't keep a weapon on my person.

that just got me thinking - I was watching reservoir dogs last night, where the whole premise surrounded a diamond heist. Not that I think a 2bit operation like Jared has a pile of valuable stones sitting around, they DO have a lot of cash on the premises in addition to some high value items...a jewelry store is the LAST place I'd work if I couldn't keep a weapon on my person.

I really doubt they have much cash on premises. Few people use cash for big purchases like that.

Just another place off the shopping list.

I'll just choose to stimulate the economy at places I like. Gun shops, Gun clubs, Gun smiths, Gun ranges.......

I've never been made to feel "funny" at any of these establishments.

Just another place off the shopping list.

I'll just choose to stimulate the economy at places I like. Gun shops, Gun clubs, Gun smiths, Gun ranges.......

I've never been made to feel "funny" at any of these establishments.

Which is why I'll never go to Disneyland.

Best thing to do at these places - go in, dressed well and serious.

Find a diamond or double strand pearl necklace discuss price, guarantee, anything else you can think of....

Ask for the manger and tell him why you WILL NOT buy from his store.

Include owning and carrying a licensed firearm in Mass defines you as a good guy - bad guys don't read signs.

If enough people do this, it tends to make them reconsider.

They are probably afraid that if you hear that douche-tastic commercial while you are in there you'll go all "Falling Down" on them.

looks like they wasted a lot of money on signage and lawyers, lol

they show the ugliest stuff on the Jared commercials, then the actress swoons over it--makes me laugh every time

Signs like this make me want to open a retail store and put up big signs offering those that ARE carrying discounts for providing a safer shopping environment!

Whatever a "Dangerous ordinance handgun" is I want one.....Unless that means a gun that blow up, then I am all set, I already own a glock....

It's hard to tell, but there is a comma after ordinance. I had to double check myself.

Thanks..... Destroyed another dream.......

Wait, maybe they meant one of those shoulder thingies that goes up?

I wouldn't buy a damned thing from them, though... that sign is obnoxious. (as is their radio commercials... don't get me started)

-Mike
That' what we're doing, I went into a Jared, explained to them why I wouldn't be doing business with them, explained our cash budget for our wedding rings, and advised them that as a gun owner I've received a proper welcome from Tiffany, which is who I will be doing business with explicitly because of their lack of fear of firearms. Additionally, I explained how he was helping create a much more dangerous shopping experience, because only law abiding people are going to listen to their stupid ass sign.

At the end of the day though, their right to not want it on their property, and your right to now do biz with them.

Probably a waste of effort but I sent Jared's an email explaining how the gun sign will only apply to law abiding gun owners and that a criminal will not be bothered by it. I told them that I was a member of a gun forum with over 15,000 members who are now aware of their discrimination against gun owners who wish to carry and that their policy will be detrimental to their business.

Another question: What happens if the police ever have to respond to a call for a robbery at Jared's Jewelers?

Based on this signage, I guess they would have to disarm before proceeding?

If I ever open my gunstore - I actually plan to have a similar sign. Of course my store will be in Mass, and my sign will forbid open carrying.
Since it's legal to do, but is asking for your license to be taken away, only police can open carry in Mass (don't split hairs, I'm talking reality) - therefore, unless it's an emergency, cops can either check their guns at the door, or come back with a warrant.

I don't think that will offend as many potential customers as Jared's sign does...

Wright Jewelry in Hudson is where I go.

The owner, Lee, is a member of the local club and is a high power shooter. Although he has some nice stuff in stock, the best way is to let him know what you are looking for and give him a week or so to go 'shopping'. Got some really cool stuff for great prices over the years. He can also handle all the resize and repair work you might want.

Back
Top Bottom