• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

anti gun sign

I seen this sign today at Jared jewelers in Burlington. Is it legal for them to ban you from carrying in their store? anti gun sign.jpg

I seen this sign today at Jared jewelers in Burlington. Is it legal for them to ban you from carrying in their store?View attachment 17820

The sign isn't binding, but they can kick you out if they caught you carrying, and concievably you could get bagged for trespassing if you stuck around after they told you to leave. MA is a "trespass standard" state, and any signage here isn't legally binding.

I wouldn't buy a damned thing from them, though... that sign is obnoxious. (as is their radio commercials... don't get me started)

-Mike

The sign isn't binding, but they can kick you out if they caught you carrying, and concievably you could get bagged for trespassing if you stuck around after they told you to leave. MA is a "trespass standard" state, and any signage here isn't legally binding.

I wouldn't buy a damned thing from them, though... that sign is obnoxious. (as is their radio commercials... don't get me started)

-Mike

This. Not legally binding but they can have you trespassed.

And I make it a point not to shop at any place that cant come up with a halfway decent commercial that doesnt make me want to drive my car into a river every time I hear it.

Whatever a "Dangerous ordinance handgun" is I want one.....Unless that means a gun that blow up, then I am all set, I already own a glock....

It's hard to tell, but there is a comma after ordinance. I had to double check myself.

I worked at a center for disabled children last year. One day we were in a meeting with the head of transportation for the company, and he started on a rant about guns and knives on the premises. He said that if any employee was caught with a gun or knife of any kind on company property, even in that employee's private vehicle, it would result in immediate termination and prosecution.

After the meeting, I informed him that I wasn't stupid enough to be carrying a gun or a knife in a building around a bunch of preschoolers, and that I wouldn't leave a handgun in my vehicle for fear of it being stolen. I then told him that I had no idea whether there was a pocketknife in my car, but if there was, it was none of his business, and that any search of my vehicle without probable cause would result in my taking ownership of the facility in a court proceeding, and his immediate termination.

He shut the hell up.

Can't an automobile be construed as a dangerous weapon? A folding multitool? I will never take my business to a place that has a sign like that. I find it interesting that in Concord NH, Jared Jewelry and Dicks sporting goods share a common parking lot...I'm not sure if that Jared's has a sign like that in their doorway but if they did, I guess a person that bought a shotgun at Dicks and was carrying it to their car would create a problem with their moonbattery mindset...

I worked at a center for disabled children last year. One day we were in a meeting with the head of transportation for the company, and he started on a rant about guns and knives on the premises. He said that if any employee was caught with a gun or knife of any kind on company property, even in that employee's private vehicle, it would result in immediate termination and prosecution.

After the meeting, I informed him that I wasn't stupid enough to be carrying a gun or a knife in a building around a bunch of preschoolers, and that I wouldn't leave a handgun in my vehicle for fear of it being stolen. I then told him that I had no idea whether there was a pocketknife in my car, but if there was, it was none of his business, and that any search of my vehicle without probable cause would result in my taking ownership of the facility in a court proceeding, and his immediate termination.

He shut the hell up.

What's the difference between carrying around preschoolers and carrying around adults?

I went to Jared in Burlington a few years ago to buy a Tag watch. . . .I saw the sign and called the manager from the front door, explained that I was there to buy a watch, but his sign prevented me from entering his store to spend my money.

His reply was to come back another day when I didn't have a gun on me. .. .I explained that I wouldn't be back, he couldn't have cared less. I followed that up with an email to Jared offices, I never got a response.

As f-ed up as our state is about guns, the list of prohibited places once we finally get our LTC is very, very minimal by comparison with other states. In some other states that sign would be legally binding. Others prohibit carry to almost any public meeting. I've been reading some of this lately as I've been acquiring some non resident licenses and it's the only time I've ever been even moderately grateful for any of the rules here. Not to say we're the most lenient but we're a lot more so than many others.

I pay zero attention to these signs. There's a better chance of me being asked to leave for demanding better customer service tha. There is of someone making me. Some website I spotted recently was offering a business card to hand out to such establishments that basically said I won't shop here because to don't honor my rights. Doubt it would do much good at a chain but they might have a shot with a local shop owner.

As Mike said above, all they can do is tell you to leave.

Besides, they suck. If you want to buy locally, go to Barmakian in Nashua. Alternatively, http://www.americanpearl.com (they also sell diamond jewelry) has excellent service.

As f-ed up as our state is about guns, the list of prohibited places once we finally get our LTC is very, very minimal by comparison with other states. In some other states that sign would be legally binding. Others prohibit carry to almost any public meeting. I've been reading some of this lately as I've been acquiring some non resident licenses and it's the only time I've ever been even moderately grateful for any of the rules here. Not to say we're the most lenient but we're a lot more so than many others.

I pay zero attention to these signs. There's a better chance of me being asked to leave for demanding better customer service tha. There is of someone making me. Some website I spotted recently was offering a business card to hand out to such establishments that basically said I won't shop here because to don't honor my rights. Doubt it would do much good at a chain but they might have a shot with a local shop owner.

They have no duty to honor your rights. It's their private property.

At the same time, you are free to not give them your business.

What's the difference between carrying around preschoolers and carrying around adults?

There isn't one, I am going to make a wild guess that buffalomesa was intentionally blowing smoke up that guy's backside at the time. (EG "These aren't the droids you're looking for." )

-Mike

Last edited:
If I were a criminal, I would hang around Jareds parking lot and relieve the sheep of their "went to Jared" euphoria. Then perhaps a nice card to corporate for a nice stress free robbing experience.

1) don't go to some big box jewelry store like Jared's. You're better of going to the jeweler's building in Boston or find someone via word of mouth. Barmakian's isn't bad. They started out in the jeweler's building in Boston. They then moved to tax free NH because they were caught giving 'no tax' discounts to cash buyers.
2) What kind of an idiot thinks that a sign like that will protect them?
3) Anyone who works in a jewelry store and doesn't carry at least one gun is a fool.

Easy. These were kids with developmental issues, and some of them were very grabby. I had a couple who managed to snatch stuff out of my pocket when I first started there, and if that something had been a gun or a knife, it could have been a dangerous situation. I personally wouldn't carry in a situation like that, where my close interactions with the kids could have caused injury or death.

If an adult gets close enough to me to be able to snatch a gun or knife, I'm likely going to give them an elbow to the head to establish my personal space.

I went in that same store once, they offered me espresso or champagne just for walking in! I started on a rant about the sign to my then-girlfriend and got the [rolleyes]. They didn't get any of my business that night, nor will they ever.

ETA: Don't tell Jared, but I was in direct violation of his sign. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom