American Guns TV Show (Gun Smoke)

All I know is that the daughter is smoking hot.

paige-wyatt-Gunsmoke-12-819x1024.jpg

Alright, I understand Rich working Paige to build the business and TV audience, and the heavy use of exploding targets...but tell me why the fat gunsmith needs to shout "XX CALIBER, FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!" every test fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, that annoys the hell out of me. It's just so over-dramatic. Seriously? You really need to yell all that gayness when firing into a god damned barrel? I used to like the show, but now it's getting onto my nerves. How about when the customer finally gets to shoot the overpriced p.o.s. "custom" gun and that clown does nothing but absoluyely scream in his ear "OMG YOU MADE THAT THING BLOWED UP WOOOOWWWW!!!"

watching this for the first time. So far they've demonstrated a complete lack of gunsmithing skill and knowledge. They've ruined a vintage thompson, and made a 20 lb .50 BMG for "hunting moose" cuz he apparently starts to lose accuracy around 700 yards. [hmmm]

Pretty sure the fat guy has aspergers. Either that or he's just a really cocky moron who refuses who blames everyone else when he screws up.

watching this for the first time. So far they've demonstrated a complete lack of gunsmithing skill and knowledge. They've ruined a vintage thompson, and made a 20 lb .50 BMG for "hunting moose" cuz he apparently starts to lose accuracy around 700 yards. [hmmm]
The Thompson is actually a current make from Auto Ordnance. If you watch the end, you can see that the "new" titanium upper receiver has the Thompson/Auto Ordnance logo already engraved in it. [wink] I know the guy that "ordered" it (from another forum) and he hasn't said a word about how it shoots or anything. Out of character for him...

Aloha

Seriously? Looks like a 3rd grader did it with a crayon.

Come on---What?

Most of the words are spelled correctly.

I can't stand this show...I figure that part of the inflated costs for the work they do is to cover the $2000 targets that they construct for the customer on delivery. "Here is your new rifle! We built a scale model castle and filled it with tannerite that will make a 25' mushroom cloud when you hit it"

"...On the third try, from ten yards."

Pretty sure the fat guy has aspergers. Either that or he's just a really cocky moron who refuses who blames everyone else when he screws up.

I think the one from the .50BMG hunting rifle is a semi-auto. Either way, they made a titanium receiver. They were no longer working on his gun...they MADE A NEW ONE. Call it what it is.

Did anyone else notice that the guy who got screwed on the bolt action gator gun and the smith and wesson governor ..... when they met up for him to try out the gun the guy shoots the gun and he is a frickin lefty shooting a righty bolt action gun! talk about not really asking questions about your customer before building a gun.... what a big F#*K up.

From another forum I understand that the shop has a *very* poor reputation locally. Not to mention that father pimping out his 17 year old daughter like he does makes me sick.

It's all complete bullshit, and doesn't really teach anything or inform anybody -- gun nut or newbie. Did you see when Paige sells the guy the Zebra gun? An OBVIOUS product placement situation. He wants a gun to carry. For defense against people and animals. End of information. No discussion of caliber, weight, fit... nothing. Just "This is a Smith and Wesson M&P. M&P stands for Military and Police so you know it'll be reliable."

Similar to the situation when the guy and his new shooter wife come into the shop and grab a pair of revolvers. No discussion, no experience... just lots and lots of mentions of the "Wyatt Deep Cover Package" -- Anybody but me think it's just short of criminal jamming a customizing and a trigger job down the throat of a brand new shooter?

It's like Top Shot and Suns of Guns -- All drama for reality TV and no actual content.

Arrrghhh...

Is the 10th on the slide missing an "H"?
The handle is just horrible. Not one letter looks good....actually, same with the slide.

I think the show would rule if they would show Paige walking around all day long doing nothing.

I think the show would rule if they would show Paige walking around all day long wearing nothing.

Yup!

On tonight's show, $1700 to make grand dad's 870 into a tactical SG. The owner Rich the Snake gave the guy $300 for his 300 Win Mag to offset the cost. In other words, $1400 & a 300 Win Mag to cut down the barrel, put on tactical furniture, sights & a light on an old 870 that the guy already had........ What a creep.

On tonight's show, $1700 to make grand dad's 870 into a tactical SG. The owner Rich the Snake gave the guy $300 for his 300 Win Mag to offset the cost. In other words, $1400 & a 300 Win Mag to cut down the barrel, put on tactical furniture, sights & a light on an old 870 that the guy already had........ What a creep.
I was screaming at my TV. He ruined Gramp's gun and probably could have built that gun himself brand new with a short 14" barrel--stamp included--for under $1400 and kept that .300 Win Mag.

I have them at my PD with 14" NFA barrels, rifle sights, stock and pistol grip, and the Surefire pumps. I can bet if they were anywhere near $1700, we'd have bought something else.

I've spent the last hour or so reading up on Rich Wyatt and his shennanigans. Here's an interesting link I found along my way.

http://www.ar-15.co/forums/showthread.php?t=13026&highlight=gunsmoke

This one is interesting too:
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-124906.html

And this:
http://www.ar-15.co/forums/showthread.php?t=41935

All told, I like the show and I'll watch it just like I will Sons of Guns, as foolish is the latter show is (at least American Guns does some decent smithing for projects that are halfway legit). But I realize if the Discovery Channel put on the show I wanted to see, it would only be die hard gun people watching it. On balance, I think these shows are a net positive for the 2A cause, and have probably done their part by getting gun agnostics interested in firearms.

Last edited:
I didn't watch all of last night's episode, but I was astonished when the paint job on the rifle for the PD was going to run $2K. Why do you want art work on a tactical rifle used by a SWAT team? I'm sure the taxpayers will be amused that $2K was being spent to put artwork on a rifle, even if it was DHS money and not their property tax dollars.

It's an interesting show to watch with guns and a good looking blonde. That's really as much as I've ever thought about it...

I had the same response you had. Definately could have bought the shotgun new for less than $1400. But, at leasted that didn't actually destroy Grampa's old shotgun.

1) They didn't cut down the barrel, they replaced it with a new barrel.
2) The replaced barrel was ported, and based on one of the shots, it looks like they ported it themselves rather than purchasing a ported barrel.
3) They soldered on a front site to the barrel for the ghost ring
4) They replaced all of the existing furniture with new furniture (presumably returning the old furniture to the owner)
5) They bead-blasted and refinished the receiver (only change to the original firearm)
6) They made a reference to doing an action and trigger job on the reciever.

Still, all said, the shotgun they ended up with was:

1) A used Remingon 870 reciever - $200-$300
2) A multi-position tactical shotgun pistol grip stock - about $65
3) A Sure-Fire forearm - $370 (from Surefire's site)
4) 18 1/2" ported Shotgun barrel - $165 (and that's with tridium sights)
5) Ghost Ring rear sight - $110 for tridium sights

That's $700 worth of parts ($1,000 if you bought the reciever as well) and there's no WAY theres $1,000 (or even $400) worth of gunsmiting work involved. So he paid $1,400 AND a quality bolt-action rifle for what amounts to maybe a $1,000 gun (assuming they put on tridium night sights for the ghost ring set-up)

I didn't watch all of last night's episode, but I was astonished when the paint job on the rifle for the PD was going to run $2K. Why do you want art work on a tactical rifle used by a SWAT team? I'm sure the taxpayers will be amused that $2K was being spent to put artwork on a rifle, even if it was DHS money and not their property tax dollars.

I call BS on that one. There's no way any PD/SWAT would want a fancy, glossy paint job on an actual service firearm. Commemorative? Maybe, but still a load of crap. Maybe they're trying to open up a whole new market.........[rolleyes]

Yup. What's worse is the "camoflague" paint is sitting under a high-gloss clear-coat finish. What good is camoflague under a gloss coat??

Would have been better to have metal medallions (maybe a real department badge) and inlet them into the stock instead.

Also, the micro-rail fitted over the sling stud instead of being inlet near flush to the stock looked horrible.

It looked more like a show piece than a built for use tactical rifle.

It's a TV show for entertainment purposes,I'm pretty sure there is behind the scene negotiations on prices as well customer screening they plan on doing above and beyond work.

Who builds a one off with the intent of a contract without having multiple prototypes...which I would assume they do and we just see the entertainment side.

Back
Top Bottom