• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

American Guns TV Show (Gun Smoke)

It's a TV show for entertainment purposes,I'm pretty sure there is behind the scene negotiations on prices as well customer screening they plan on doing above and beyond work.

The chances that the guns are actually trading hands at the depicted prices are slim, not to mention factoring in any appearance fee the purported buyer gets as part of the deal.

All told, I like the show and I'll watch it just like I will Sons of Guns... But I realize if the Discovery Channel put on the show I wanted to see, it would only be die hard gun people watching it. On balance, I think these shows are a net positive for the 2A cause, and have probably done their part by getting gun agnostics interested in firearms.

This.

These shows are purely retarded, but I think they -- and shows like Top Shot which is another real "winner" of a show -- do a lot to demonstrate to people that aren't familiar with firearms and find them kinda scary, that guns and gun people aren't necessarily frightening, weird, or evil. I think shows like this have a lot to do with the increasingly popularity of shooting among the more liberal among us. I mean that seriously.

In many respects, guns are far out of the norm for a lot of people... they haven't been exposed to them, they don't understand them, and they've been taught they should hate them. Of course, these people have never shot a gun and probably never meet anyone who owns a gun. Expose these folks to something like clay target sports (with a 20 or 28 gauge) or Steel Challenge (which, I had somebody say to me was "just like a full-size grown-up carnival arcade game" -- which is exactly right) and you start winning converts. "Hey, maybe this isn't so kooky after all."

I rather like that dudes on PawnStars regularly go to the range to shoot some trap or paper target. All those grannies who watch the show will now think that guns are less evil. I hope.

This.

These shows are purely retarded, but I think they -- and shows like Top Shot which is another real "winner" of a show -- do a lot to demonstrate to people that aren't familiar with firearms and find them kinda scary, that guns and gun people aren't necessarily frightening, weird, or evil. I think shows like this have a lot to do with the increasingly popularity of shooting among the more liberal among us. I mean that seriously.

In many respects, guns are far out of the norm for a lot of people... they haven't been exposed to them, they don't understand them, and they've been taught they should hate them. Of course, these people have never shot a gun and probably never meet anyone who owns a gun. Expose these folks to something like clay target sports (with a 20 or 28 gauge) or Steel Challenge (which, I had somebody say to me was "just like a full-size grown-up carnival arcade game" -- which is exactly right) and you start winning converts. "Hey, maybe this isn't so kooky after all."

What are the odds the snipers hit that fridge (at least that 's what I think it was) at 1000 yards or they fired and someone pushed a button to blow up the target? I never really believe anyone hits those targets.

What are the odds the snipers hit that fridge (at least that 's what I think it was) at 1000 yards or they fired and someone pushed a button to blow up the target? I never really believe anyone hits those targets.

they've shown enough slow-motion footage of target impacts to demonstrate that they're at least generally impact triggered explosives rather than radio detonated. While they didn't show slow-motion of that perticular one, I still believe it's likely it was impact triggered with a "reactive" target placed inside the fridge.

I gotta say I watch this show as well. Not really for detailed gun smithing or gun information knowledge, but just to see some cool guns and some cool targets explode. Can not deny the hotness of the daughter, which they clearly flaunt all over. It surprises me for how young she must be all the skimpy clothes she runs around in. I'm just waiting for the camera to catch a guy straight up starring dowm her shirt...hasnt hapepemed yet but I'll stay vigilant haha

I always wondered how their stuff could be so expensive and why they show big cash and helicopters all the time. Makes it look like guns are a rediculously expensive hobby, my mom saw the show once and said how can you afford any guns!? Had to remind her it is a tv show...

Way better than SOG which i cant even watch anymore.

Good Lord, that looks like a prison tattoo!

rruDs.jpg

Rather than the fridge blow up, I would have liked to see a real bullseye and how the rifle performed at 1000 yards.I wouldn't buy it until I did.I also wouldn't pay 2000$ for a paint job.

i watched it last night.....its a mediocre show and Rich give off a vibe he would backstab you in a heartbeat, I like Top Shot better

Rather than the fridge blow up, I would have liked to see a real bullseye and how the rifle performed at 1000 yards.I wouldn't buy it until I did.I also wouldn't pay 2000$ for a paint job.

I definately agree. Or put two targets out at 1000 yards. One for confirming accuracy and precision - say a 5 shot group. Second for the dramatic thunderous reactive target.

A side comment - They're setting up a police tactical rifle for long-range engagement, yet they seem to have done a warm-bore zero rather than letting the barrel cool and return to room temperature after each shot. Police marksmen almost always take cold bore shots because they need to have first shot success, wouldn't it have been better to do a cold-bore zero?

A side comment - They're setting up a police tactical rifle for long-range engagement, yet they seem to have done a warm-bore zero rather than letting the barrel cool and return to room temperature after each shot. Police marksmen almost always take cold bore shots because they need to have first shot success, wouldn't it have been better to do a cold-bore zero?

There is that "faggy talk"! [rofl] Overthinking a scripted TV show much? [laugh] I agree, yes.

I definately agree. Or put two targets out at 1000 yards. One for confirming accuracy and precision - say a 5 shot group. Second for the dramatic thunderous reactive target.

The average person watching the show probably doesn't give a shit about the cops shooting five shots, particularly after the kid zeroed it in. Plus, they have to fit it into an hour.

If you want to understand why they show what they do and show what they don't, think like a person who's watching just to see drama and stuff go bang and boom, not a trained or expirienced fun owner/enthusiast.

It's a TV show for entertainment purposes,I'm pretty sure there is behind the scene negotiations on prices as well customer screening they plan on doing above and beyond work.

Who builds a one off with the intent of a contract without having multiple prototypes...which I would assume they do and we just see the entertainment side.

I dunno, if part of their aim is to further the hobby, they might want to show some realistic prices so people say 'hey, I can actually afford that.'

Glad to see I was not the only one yelling at my TV last tonight. The wife thinks I am crazy. $1700 for the shotgun was just insane.

On a side note, one of the MGs they were shooting and "buying" was a UMP. I thought the UMPs were all post 86.

You're missing a great opportunity here! If my wife thinks a shotgun is priced at $1700, and I come home with the same one for $399, I will be a HERO! (and a genius) Not to mention, a real slick operator!

Glad to see I was not the only one yelling at my TV last tonight. The wife thinks I am crazy. $1700 for the shotgun was just insane.

On a side note, one of the MGs they were shooting and "buying" was a UMP. I thought the UMPs were all post 86.

They are, they weren't buying them for resale, they were buying them for rental. With the proper licensing, they can rent post '86 MGs to the general public.

I didn't watch all of last night's episode, but I was astonished when the paint job on the rifle for the PD was going to run $2K. Why do you want art work on a tactical rifle used by a SWAT team? I'm sure the taxpayers will be amused that $2K was being spent to put artwork on a rifle, even if it was DHS money and not their property tax dollars.

I also found that extremely odd. Why would a SWAT team want a rifle pimped out like some friggin' NASCAR jumpsuit? It looked ridiculous. Not even factoring in cost of the paint job, which takes it completely over-the-top.

The show is sold around ridiculous guns and the jailbait daughter of his, that's for sure.

I was gonna rail about the prices of the MG's, but then I realized the seller very well may have been an FFL07--someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought non-tranferrable MG's owned by FFL's don't carry the same premium as transferable pre-86 guns.

On tonight's show, $1700 to make grand dad's 870 into a tactical SG. The owner Rich the Snake gave the guy $300 for his 300 Win Mag to offset the cost. In other words, $1400 & a 300 Win Mag to cut down the barrel, put on tactical furniture, sights & a light on an old 870 that the guy already had........ What a creep.

Turns out it wasn't real after all:

The “Haggling” scene with Rich Wyatt at the counter in the store. We had to do it over and over, but if you’re a haggler and enjoy arguing over the price of something you understand how much fun that can be. So when you see my personal rifle set on the counter I offered up for “trade” (for show purposes only, I still have the rifle) and see Rich and I going at it over price that part was real. It was a lot of fun. We laughed, kidded around and almost forgot the cameras were there. Hopefully it comes across when the scene airs...

[Snip]

The whole time we filmed the producers pushed me to sell a story not mine that wasn’t real. Because I wouldn’t bring in my grandfather’s ACTUAL 1952 Sears & Roebuck J.C. Higgins 12 Gauge shotgun to be ravaged and overhauled for my episode, the show peeps snatched an old beat up Remington 870 Wingmaster from the shelves of Gunsmoke and we ran with it for the story line. Stories of break-ins and fears about an unsafe environment were firsthand stories of other customers and some of the filming crew, not my own. The best way I can think to describe my role was to come on the show as myself but also as an actor without a script.
http://www.hausofguns.com/2012/07/11/behind-the-scenes-on-american-guns/

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm sitting here watching Swamp People and now Mountain Men, you think these shows fall in the same category and operate in the same way? Deadliest Catch? There are too many to name.

I was gonna rail about the prices of the MG's, but then I realized the seller very well may have been an FFL07--someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought non-tranferrable MG's owned by FFL's don't carry the same premium as transferable pre-86 guns.

You are correct. There are two categories of dealer sample - "Pre May" and "Post May".

The key limitations of "Post May" is dealers may not get one without a LE "demo request letter", and the dealer may not transfer it to him/herself as an individual upon termination of SOT status.

On the other hand, an 07/SOT is a "licensed manufacturer" and can make full autos from scratch, however, any outbound transfer of such full autos must be to an entity with sovereign immunity or that has had a "Post May dealer sample" transfer approved by the BATFE (which involved that pesky LEO demo request letter). There are also limits (I think it is 2 per model) as to how many Post-May dealer samples of one model an individual dealer may have.

The price relationship from high to low:

- Transferrable(*)
- Pre May dealer sample
- Post May dealer sample
- Non transferrable(*)

* - Refers to "registered for non-LE transfer on a tax stamp"

I didn't watch all of last night's episode, but I was astonished when the paint job on the rifle for the PD was going to run $2K. Why do you want art work on a tactical rifle used by a SWAT team? I'm sure the taxpayers will be amused that $2K was being spent to put artwork on a rifle, even if it was DHS money and not their property tax dollars.

I saw that, and I LOVED that the sniper rifle came paint job had a high gloss finish. Nothing like the shine off your stock giving away your position. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom