American Guns TV Show (Gun Smoke)

One thing I noticed, is when they deliver the gun to the owner to shoot. After
they fire it, the guy grabs the gun out of their hands. WTF is up with that?
I would probably butt stroke him for attempting that with me.

Malodave

Those scenes take place away from the shop and at the customer test firing, they haven't completed the sale, including running the NICS check so he must retain posession of the firearm or he's transfered the firearm without a NICS check and could lose their FFL. If you "butt stroked" him for that, you'd find yourself in jail or shot in self-defense.

I try not to pay much attention to the prices in the show - they're doing a lot of custom work, including a lot that likely is never making the show. However, I was very surprised to hear the $800 price tag for the paint job on the zebra print M&P, however it was done by an outside shop that specialized in custom paint jobs and appears to have been a custom designed hand air-brushed finish on the slide, frame and back-strap. The paint lines also flow between pieces despite them being painted seperately, so there's some skilled labor involved in that piece.

As for the kid's engraving ability - can't really judge it until I see it in person, the detail work that they've shown on the show looks pretty good, but even in HD on a large flat screen, the true detail of good engraving is impossible to see.

I like American Guns much better than Sons of Guns. More real gun smithing and less "game changa" hype.

Those scenes take place away from the shop and at the customer test firing, they haven't completed the sale, including running the NICS check so he must retain posession of the firearm or he's transfered the firearm without a NICS check and could lose their FFL. If you "butt stroked" him for that, you'd find yourself in jail or shot in self-defense.

I try not to pay much attention to the prices in the show - they're doing a lot of custom work, including a lot that likely is never making the show. However, I was very surprised to hear the $800 price tag for the paint job on the zebra print M&P, however it was done by an outside shop that specialized in custom paint jobs and appears to have been a custom designed hand air-brushed finish on the slide, frame and back-strap. The paint lines also flow between pieces despite them being painted seperately, so there's some skilled labor involved in that piece.

As for the kid's engraving ability - can't really judge it until I see it in person, the detail work that they've shown on the show looks pretty good, but even in HD on a large flat screen, the true detail of good engraving is impossible to see.

I like American Guns much better than Sons of Guns. More real gun smithing and less "game changa" hype.

His scroll work seems fine. Any letter he does is suspect. Most of the time, if there's lettering involved, they won't get a crisp zoom in to look at it. Wouldn't you think that, if his work was great, they would want to shoot it tight? He's a kid. It seems he has talent but the reality is that good engravers put A LOT of years into their craft. He'd have to be a savant to be a master engraver at that age.

His scroll work seems fine. Any letter he does is suspect. Most of the time, if there's lettering involved, they won't get a crisp zoom in to look at it. Wouldn't you think that, if his work was great, they would want to shoot it tight? He's a kid. It seems he has talent but the reality is that good engravers put A LOT of years into their craft. He'd have to be a savant to be a master engraver at that age.

Agreed! I think he is off to a great start, though and can be really good with more experience! At the same time, he is the most talented person on the show, so that's saying something haha

One thing I noticed, is when they deliver the gun to the owner to shoot. After
they fire it, the guy grabs the gun out of their hands. WTF is up with that?
I would probably butt stroke him for attempting that with me.

Malodave

You make it that far? My eyes have glazed over WAYYYY before that point.

Okay, I found a close up of the gun he did for the 10th Mountain Division Guy. If I had paid for this I would have gone apeshit.

rruDs.jpg

I think they just inflate the numbers for television. A $600-700 zebra turd would not sound impressive to the casual observer.

If not the $18000 lever gun was a good deal. Ha! I will say that young kid who got that rifle has some trigger skills.

Okay, I found a close up of the gun he did for the 10th Mountain Division Guy. If I had paid for this I would have gone apeshit.

rruDs.jpg

Is the 10th on the slide missing an "H"?
The handle is just horrible. Not one letter looks good....actually, same with the slide.

I think the show would rule if they would show Paige walking around all day long doing nothing.

Last edited:

The S, O and N in the grip look rough. I'm not sure I'd put a lot of judgement into the appearance of the slide engraving - there's so many completely missing straight lines that I question the quality of the photo / lighting. IF that's really an accurate representation of the letting on the slide, I agree, I'd have refused the sale.

I tried watching the show but gave up... if they were a "real" gun shop at one time, all they are now is a TV gun shop soap opera joke... they and the things they do are not base on any reality. Same old
tired formula... overpriced guns, made up deadlines, fake problems, bs drama of not getting the job done in time, and "hot" daughters as eye candy. In the last few minutes of the program.. all problems solved
smiles all around... and the owner shares a little wisdom of the experience to his people.
Star Trek seems more real!!

Last edited:

rruDs.jpg

Seriously? Looks like a 3rd grader did it with a crayon.

I tried watching the show but gave up... if they were a "real" gun shop at one time, all they are now is a TV gun shop soap opera joke... they and the things they do are not base on any reality. Same old
tired formula... overpriced guns, made up deadlines, fake problems, bs drama of not getting the job done in time, and "hot" daughters as eye candy. In the last few minutes of the program.. all problems solved
smiles all around... and the owner shares a little wisdom of the experience to his people.
Star Trek seems more real!!

I stopped watching it when they did that silver plated 1911 for the wife. My first thought was "wonder if they took into account the thickness of the silver plating?" Nope. Turned the channel.

Last edited:
On this last episode they did "Nimschke" style engraving on an 1873 Winchester. Now if you've ever seen real Nimschke work in one of RL Wilson's books (also a crook, maybe there's a pattern?), you would know that Mr. Nimschke was rolling in his grave at being associated with him. Scrolls were loose, no shading, just very plain and unattractive. He is young and could definitely get better, but he's got a long way to go...

On this last episode they did "Nimschke" style engraving on an 1873 Winchester. Now if you've ever seen real Nimschke work in one of RL Wilson's books (also a crook, maybe there's a pattern?), you would know that Mr. Nimschke was rolling in his grave at being associated with him. Scrolls were loose, no shading, just very plain and unattractive. He is young and could definitely get better, but he's got a long way to go...
What you are saying you are not ready for him to a grind a chode shaped sword into your heirloom? [laugh]

Alright, I understand Rich working Paige to build the business and TV audience, and the heavy use of exploding targets...but tell me why the fat gunsmith needs to shout "XX CALIBER, FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!" every test fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, I understand Rich working Paige to build the business and TV audience, and the heavy use of exploding targets...but tell me why the fat gunsmith needs to shout "XX CALIBER, FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!" every test fire?

So the film crew guys know when to put on their ear protection ???

I can't stand this show. Especially the shop owner. He is like a used car salesman. I have only watched bits and pieces of a few episodes but it made me want to puke.

The episode where Daddy told the kid that he would repair her Jeep if she could DCOR her 1911 and then when she did it, not only did they fix her jeep, but they threw in a few grand of upgrades cause they were so proud.

I figure that part of the inflated costs for the work they do is to cover the $2000 targets that they construct for the customer on delivery. "Here is your new rifle! We built a scale model castle and filled it with tannerite that will make a 25' mushroom cloud when you hit it"

Last edited:
Over on the local forums in the stores area I read the production company was looking for people to come in with or for "interesting" guns.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is a little like the color coding of boots when working with high voltage electricity. So, they know what killed ya... [laugh]

Did anyone notice the wife showing the pink 1911 to a customer? Isnt that the same pink 1911 that they "custom" built for some rich woman last season? I think it has to be, I mean how many pink 1911's are there?

Did anyone notice the wife showing the pink 1911 to a customer? Isnt that the same pink 1911 that they "custom" built for some rich woman last season? I think it has to be, I mean how many pink 1911's are there?
I think I mentioned in the RedJacket thread that you can often see some of the project guns they "sold" to customers on the wall in the background. SoG does have issues with NFA transfers, but.... the other explanation is as you say, it wasn't sold to anyone...

I don't watch the show. I've just seen enough snippets to know that the daughter is hot, and the dad is a snake oil salesman.

But anyway, there was some related news today. I guess they feature "Dragonman's" range pretty regularly in the show, to the point that the range was launching their own show, or at least shooting a pilot. The owner's wife was killed in a freak accident --not gun related!-- while they were filming and the film crew shot off some smoke canisters. She was apparently hit and killed almost instantly (one source said "decapitated").

http://www.gazette.com/articles/range-140313-shooting-accident.html

A special effect designed to close a television show ended in tragedy at an El Paso County shooting range, the businesses owner said Friday.

El Paso County Sheriff's detectives were at the Dragonman's shooting range Friday morning investigating the fatal accident that happened Thursday evening as a television crew worked to film an episode of an unnamed cable show focused on military vehicles at the business east of Colorado Springs.

Deputies haven't named the woman who died, but the proprietor of Dragonman's, Melvin Bernstein identified the victim as his wife, 51-year-old Terry Flanell.

Bernstein said he, Flanell and three other family members were on the range as crews worked to film them walking through a haze of smoke. But the smoke bombs used for the show detonated, he said, flying through the air like rockets.

Bernstein said the flying debris missed others in the group, but hit his wife of 33 years. He described the projectiles as 10- to 12-inch long pipes.

"They went right through her body, she didn't suffer or nothing," Bernstein said. "She just dropped."

Bernstein didn't name the production company, but said the show was slated for a 13-episode run on a cable channel focused on military topics.

What you are saying you are not ready for him to a grind a chode shaped sword into your heirloom? [laugh]

Yeah, If I had him do the engraving for the SIG commemorative pistols from our deployment, my guys would have tarred and feathered me. Ours may have been laser engraved, but at least the lines are straight.

Back
Top Bottom