• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ambi pistols, what options are there?

Good luck finding a 'smith than can make the change. None of the locals here wanted to touch it.

Then they are not very ambitious because it's not that hard to add ambi levers or put the decocker lever on the wrong side of a USP... you just need the parts to do it. It would take me a half an hour or so to do it on a USP, and that's going really really slow. It is certainly possible they didn't want to do it because of the parts issues.... HK parts are often made of ****ing unobtainium, which is part of the reason I don't own any HK handguns anymore.

-Mike

If you can find one, the HK P7M8 is ambidextrous except for the slide lock. The slide release is ambi, though. It's, um, different.

I shoot lefty, and try to stick with operations that will work with all the pistols I carry and most of the ones I own. So for me, index finger for the mag release and slingshot the slide. To lock the slide back, I grab the back of the slide with my right thumb over the slide lock notch, pull and latch.

Not the fastest methods with any one pistol, but works with all my pistols. Except the P7 - it's just a mutant.

The important thing is that you can do this reliably under stress; hitting that little lever with your heart at 200 BPMs and your hands shaking from the adrenaline surging through your body can make it a bit tricky. Imagine how much longer it takes to rack and release after trying and failing with the slide stop a few times.

If you haven't trained those fine motor movements under extreme stress, I would suggest that you do.

On some guns though hitting the slide lock is not a fine motor movement. For example when I carried an HK USP that slide lock was a "big ****ing lever" and if you couldn't hit that, you likely probably couldn't fire the gun effectively either. Same thing with 1911s.

-Mike

This is true. I just like to be able to carry over my habits to different guns and still be effective. No biggie. [laugh]

For this reason I do not convert my safeties/slide locks, etc to lefty but have trained myself to use the controls as-is on everything - guns, cars, bottle caps.

As for the original question:
The M&P line is well suited for lefties as is the Beretta 92/94's - Sig is just anti-lefty, too bad the controls are so effed up to work I shoot them well. Glocks aren't bad, just a little different from the M&P's

The downside to M&P can be the triggers - Apex parts will fix the issue or a pro trigger job if you aren't the DIY type.

It's too late now as you've already made your purchase but firing as many different models will go a long way in finding the right model for you. Anyone else reading this may benefit from that advise though. It's worked well for me and others I've let shoot my modest collection.

Back
Top Bottom