Amazing video of cop getting shot on Front Sight website

What....you think I wouldn't get sued over use of force? What planet are you on? This is Massachusetts, anyone who uses a gun will be sued or prosecuted or both.

ya, you would to, but are you put in situations daily that would put your ass on the line? Word has it (who knows if it is true) that this officer was recently reprimanded for excessive force soon before this incident... Do you think that might have been on his mind when he stopped hitting him with his baton, and didnt fire sooner?

Its easy for you to sit there and criticize the officer not being in his position. I'm sure you would have just put two in his chest and one in the head no problem.

ya, you would to, but are you put in situations daily that would put your ass on the line? Word has it (who knows if it is true) that this officer was recently reprimanded for excessive force soon before this incident... Do you think that might have been on his mind when he stopped hitting him with his baton, and didnt fire sooner?

Its easy for you to sit there and criticize the officer not being in his position. I'm sure you would have just put two in his chest and one in the head no problem.

What is your point? Are you saying that as a cop, you would be more likely to be sued for use of force? You are dreaming if you think that is the case. Anyone who simply holds an LTC and uses it to defend themself or family will be pilloried in this state. As for being placed in the position.........you took the job(if you are a cop) , its part of it and you knew it going in so don't cry abuse, I'm not listening.

That cop clearly needed some fresh training. He only called for back up once or twice but never gave his location nor did he state shots fired.

But it is a gut wrenching video. I wonder how long it took them to find the officer and locate the shooter. How much of a beat down the shooter got before he got cuffed

Saw this in the academy, Dr Piazza is a piece of human excrement for using this to profit.RIP Deputy.

Last edited:
Guys, is there something to learn from this video? Yes. However, this was a tragedy and should not be aired in a public formum, ESPECIALLY for some dirtbag's financial gain!!! A few people have slammed this cop and I would ask.....how would your family feel if you were involved in a self defense shoot, killed, and they find out people are pulling apart your actions??? Seriously! A private discussion for LEOs in a classrom, I can see, but this is disgusting.

Saw this in the academy, Dr Piazza is a piece of human excrement for using this to profit.RIP Deputy.

Reality is a real bitch sometimes. Did you ever think about how many lives he might have saved by showing the video or are you too terrorized by the screams of the officer?

Get off your emotional high horse and face the facts. The video is public domain, the officer's face never clearly appears in the footage and if it strikes a clear nerve in anyone who might think that patrolling in uniform is something to be taken casually then its a good thing.

A lot of people are upset about this video and swear not to contribute any money to Front Sight because of it. Has anyone mentioned to Derek that they would like to see the Front Sight ads that run on NES removed?

[rolleyes][rolleyes]Please!

No, they shouldn't be ashamed of themselves for using it and no the family shouldn't sue.

Matter of fact, the family should be happy they use it if it makes someone think about what they're doing and react accordingly before they are mowed down by someone who went back to a vehicle and spent a good minute or so retrieving a rifle from behind a seat, loaded it and then used it.

The cop should have shut his stupid yap after the first warning, taken aim at the first sight of the gun and open fired while moving aggressively towards his target.

Notice the other guy moved aggressively towards his target? He was determined........the cop was excessively hesitant and it cost him his life.

Rahter than calling you names or assuming you meant something nasty with this post, I'll assume you misunderstood the complaints.

The only thing anyone has complained about re: this video is using it as an advertising gimmick for front sight academy. And yes, that is disgusting. OF COURSE it's a useful training video. I don't think anyone has complained about that. but they crossed the line when they exploited this for an advertising gimmick.

If THAT doesn't bother you, then I will reconsider the first part of this post.

And in case anyone doubts that this is blatant advertising..

FROM THE TOP OF THE WEB-PAGE:

"Every now and then I see a video that wakes me up to how badly law enforcement (and private citizens alike) truly need what Front Sight offers."

If you don't think that's using this horrific video to hawk their services, I question your sanity and/or intelligence.

(Un?)fortunately, I have been desensitized to these kinds of scenes. Nothing can really traumatise or shokc me visually. I have an opinion on what took place, but I think I'll just keep it to myself out of respect. I'm also on the fence about the use of this footage, but again I'm not going to argue with anyone about it, especially seeing how upset a lot of you are over this.

This!

(Un?)fortunately, I have been desensitized to these kinds of scenes. Nothing can really traumatise or shokc me visually. I have an opinion on what took place, but I think I'll just keep it to myself out of respect. I'm also on the fence about the use of this footage, but again I'm not going to argue with anyone about it, especially seeing how upset a lot of you are over this.

Its kind of like if a driver- ed biz runs a tv ad with dead kids strewn about the street, complete with overturned cars and then tells the viewer how this dosen't have to happen to their kids, only worse.

Rahter than calling you names or assuming you meant something nasty with this post, I'll assume you misunderstood the complaints.

The only thing anyone has complained about re: this video is using it as an advertising gimmick for front sight academy. And yes, that is disgusting. OF COURSE it's a useful training video. I don't think anyone has complained about that. but they crossed the line when they exploited this for an advertising gimmick.

If THAT doesn't bother you, then I will reconsider the first part of this post.

And in case anyone doubts that this is blatant advertising..

FROM THE TOP OF THE WEB-PAGE:

If you don't think that's using this horrific video to hawk their services, I question your sanity and/or intelligence.

Bill, there will be no shortage of citizens or cops seeking training at Front Sight due to this video. If anything, it is the rude awakening that will make them pursue their training with even more deliberation.

As to a reason to why the officer did not fire at the moment the suspect charged or even at the moment the M1 Carbine was thrown into the mix... a recent study shows that most officers(well adjusted human beings) would rather NOT use deadly force even when legally justified to do so.

http://www.forcesciencenews.com/home/detail.html?serial=62

Thirty-six of the 50 officers in the study had "experienced hazardous situations where they had the legal authority" to use deadly force "but chose not to shoot." They averaged 4 such prior incidents before the encounters that the researchers investigated. "It appeared clear that none of these officers were willing to use deadly force against an offender if other options were available," the researchers concluded.

"Offenders typically displayed no moral or ethical restraints in using firearms," the report states. "In fact, the street combat veterans survived by developing a shoot-first mentality.

So there you have it.

A lot of people are upset about this video and swear not to contribute any money to Front Sight because of it. Has anyone mentioned to Derek that they would like to see the Front Sight ads that run on NES removed?
Huh? Which ads? I don't see any front site ads...

The perp should been killed in the gunfight. The problem, and the reason for the advertisement, is the prep was better trained with his weapon than the LEO.

Yeah, I didn't want to go there before but he definitely seemed comfortable with combat stress. He walked right at the cop, took the offensive and had the leo on the run the entire time.

I'm glad I saw it. I think I will benefit from it. No, I don't take it lightly. Kudos to the officer for being willing to serve and put his life on the line. Kudos to the department and the family for allowing it to be used for training, so that the officers death would not be in vain. If it wasn't for the ad you are talking about I would never have seen it. In that context I would thank them for posting it and risking the obvious PR backlash that has ensued. I understand the pros and cons of using such footage when going public through any form of media, and sometimes the benefits in future lives saved outweigh the negatives involved. If you were in my class, and it was my duty to prepare you for duty to defend others or to prepare you to defend yourself, and I thought that seeing that footage might get you to finally realize what is ultimately at stake....I would take steps to make sure you saw it. If I were a young man again I might see it differently, but being old, I know that it takes good fortune and a lot of luck to get this far. Learn what you can from this. Maybe it will make the difference for you some day. God Speed. UncleDan

I don't think many are disagreeing that there's probably value in watching this, if you can stomach it. What's rubbing everyone the wrong way is the rather inept use of the footage for advertising.

Yes, advertising for training that will ultimately save the lives of those who take it.......meaning many many cops and others who carry for their own protection. Try to get over the emotion of it and look at it with a sense of practicality and reality. Its as much a part of the training as everything else.

Yes, advertising for training that will ultimately save the lives of those who take it.......meaning many many cops and others who carry for their own protection. Try to get over the emotion of it and look at it with a sense of practicality and reality. Its as much a part of the training as everything else.

That the training is good doesn't, in my mind, offset an offense I've taken due to the in-artful handling of the advertising. It's clearly their first-amendment right to use this in the manner they see fit, and I can use my 1st amendment right to instead attend a different school that uses it differently. If Front Sight had the only training that would save my life, I might choose to care less about their advertising choices. But since I can get as-good training elsewhere (with less scams!) I'm going to go ahead and be offended.

EDIT: So I went back and looked at the front-sight page again. Has it not changed?

Last edited:

Excellent addition to the conversation. Thank you so much for enlightening me as to the error of my opinion.

As for the rest of the snide remarks, very impressive. So the police can use the video to impart the importance of training on their officers, but a civilian can't do the same thing on his blog even though most of you agree with his point just because he runs a training facility in which he charges people money. Right.

Granted, if I were in his shoes, I would not have shown the video... but for the reason that I think it's disrespectful to the officer who gave his life. However I don't come away from it with the same 'using this officers death to make money' impression that most of you seem to have. I don't think that the guys opinion of the poison is invalid just because he's selling the antidote.

Of course, he could be a money grubbing charleton, I don't know the guy. Seems just as likely to me that he cares about self defense and training and thought the video was a good wake up call to people who don't take it very seriously.

Of course, he could be a money grubbing charleton, I don't know the guy. Seems just as likely to me that he cares about self defense and training and thought the video was a good wake up call to people who don't take it very seriously.

Front Sight/Piazza got sued for 5 million. They did not make good on their promises when a bunch of people invested in them.... people that wanted to live near their facility. Some of these people have dumped tons of money into this POS.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=9914704

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom