• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Am I a skin-flint

swatgig

NES Life Member
NES Member
So I'm looking at a gun. MSRP is $315, my local gun shop shows one for sale at $335, my preferred gun shop shows it for sale for $379, or I can drive an hour and buy it for $259.

The thing is I don't enjoy negotiating. My wife gets off on it. I do not. I see a price and either buy it or not.

So, am I being a skin-flint by driving for an hour (each way) to save $75 to $120. I really don't like the idea of offering my preferred gun store 68% of the asking price.

What would you do?

Last edited:
Your numbers above ($315/$335/$379/$359) make no sense in the context of your question. If they are correct, buy it at the local place for $335. If not, correct the post for the correct numbers and we'll take another swing.

Assuming you meant $259 for the place an hour away, mention the price you can get to the local and preferred stores and give them the chance to do better. If they get to $300, buy it there.

Not the smartest guy in the world but, those numbers don't add up unless you meant $259 in which case, enjoy the scenery.

Mention the price you can get to the local and preferred stores. Nicely ask if they can do better on their existing prices. If they get to $300, buy it there.

So I'm looking at a gun. MSRP is $315, my local gun shop shows one for sale at $335, my preferred gun shop shows it for sale for $379, or I can drive an hour and buy it for $259.

The thing is I don't enjoy negotiating. My wife gets off on it. I do not. I see a price and either buy it or not.

So, am I being a skin-flint by driving for an hour (each way) to save $75 to $120. I really don't like the idea of offering my preferred gun store 68% of the asking price.

What would you do?

That ain't flinting. If it was like $30 or something, that'd be flinting.

Another idea... take the $379 out, go to the other place (FS?) buy the cheap gun, and save the balance of the money on ammo for it...

-Mike

Your numbers above ($315/$335/$379/$359) make no sense in the context of your question. If they are correct, buy it at the local place for $335. If not, correct the post for the correct numbers and we'll take another swing.

This...but I'm guessing the first two numbers are 415 an 435. 435 would be over retail which would be moronic.

Before driving anywhere, check it online at Puds or Grabagun...because it's probably even cheaper there. Then drive to a local shop that charges 20 dollars (remember your not paying tax, so transfer fee is pretty much the tax) and transfer it in.

I just did something similar...all LGS had what I wanted for 499, FS had for 399. I'm not driving an hour and a half.....Grabagun had it for 389. Ordered on Monday picked it up 15 mins away on Wednesday for total of 409.00 with fee, no tax. FS would have been 40 dollars in gas, 5 hours in time or more if the deli tix had come out, add tax, the 399 would have turned into 499 pretty quick.

Best way is online when dealers are high priced, plus there is no tax, no wasting time driving and calling around to find if they have what you want. Its just all good.

Last edited:
I would drive the hour if you are going to save that much. But before I went, I would ask my LGS why their price is so different, and unless it was VERY special and and limited production, I would not pay over MSRP.

Anyone that wants $ over msrp can pound sand in my mind.
This...

I would get the LGS to AT LEAST match MSRP, or get within a few dollars of the better price you found. Figure out what you'll spend in fuel to get to that lower price (plus what your time is worth), and add that to it. That would be my target price from the LGS. If the shop can't do it for that (or even get close) then they don't want your business.

BTW, I picked up a pistol from the LGS last year that was for LESS than MSRP. IIRC, it was about 10% under. He probably didn't make all that much on the sale, but he didn't go into the red. Since that store is about 10-15 minutes form where I live, it was an easy choice. Plus I didn't see any other place with the exact pistol. In fact, he got two in after I asked IF he could get them at all. :)

I'm a driver and a skinflint. I enjoy a short road trip anytime I get the chance.
Additionally, you are going to save a little more on taxes (if Mass)
and maybe, if first time at this shop, find a new place to buy guns/ammo/accessories.

Take the wife and with the money saved, get a nice lunch date...

Come on...., your not gonna tell us what gun?
I'd take the drive, used to drive to FS for all my guns an hour away. Until shooting supply came along down here no one had prices close

It's not skinflinting.

Your dealer is stupid for asking above MSRP though. He should rather ask for a lower price, so that people come to his store more often. Maybe he makes less on the sale of the gun, but with lower gun prices, more people will come in and he can easily make up the difference in ammo sales etc. Increased foot traffic is the name of the game.

The thing is I don't enjoy negotiating. My wife gets off on it. I do not. I see a price and either buy it or not. What would you do?
I'm willing to pay about a 10% premium (over the best price, not over MSRP) to support local small business. Then there's gas and time on the road... Personally, I'd offer $285 to the preferred LGS (meets the best online total price including shipping and transfer fee), maybe negotiate up to MSRP, but no more.

If it weren't for all the paranoia over straw purchases, your wife could do the negotiating.

Double or triple your drive time and gas money.
When you get to the range and the (broken or defective part) snaps off or jambs up, and you need to go back and get it fixed.
Of course you could possibly ship it back to wherever it has to go.
Also, does the price include all the mags and accessories?

Back
Top Bottom