Am I a skin-flint

You will like that gun!!!!

I would give your preferred guy a chance to do better, and if not take a ride. 2 hours and gas is not insignificant......

I watched a skinflint offer the other shop's price to a local shop.

He was told "That other shop is bad for the industry and is destroying margins. You are hurting the industry if you shop there. No deal".

I asked "Do you buy your inventory from the distributors with the best price, or patronize those with healthy margins that support the distribution industry?".

I was told "that's different".

I watched a skinflint offer the other shop's price to a local shop.

That's not a skinflint. A true skinflint would be if the dealer decided not to be a douche and meet him much closer to the other shops price and then the skinflint still balks over like 20-30 bucks or something. That's a skinflint.

Or like the people that used to buy smiths from Ware Gun Shop "because they were so much cheaper" (they would even undercut FS for awhile) and then wonder why they got a f***ed up gun. (that seemed to be a "thing" although I was never able to definitively prove it... a lot of f***ed up S&W product went through that shop... kept my gunsmith very busy, though.... LMAO)

Fat fingers - fixed original post. Drive an hour to buy for $259, not $359
An hour drive each way is 2 hours out of my life plus $30 or so in gas. Saving based on price is $120......so I'm saving $90 after gas. That's up to you personally but for me.......$90 ain't worth a 2 hour drive. Not calling you a skin Flint if you think it's worth it to drive the hour each way that's what's worth it for your time........but personally 2 hours driving ain't worth $90.....I'd buy local.

Last edited:
What do you DRIVE?! A frigging Mack truck?

120 miles should be maybe 4 gallons at most, so more like $10
My truck gets 15 miles to the gallon. Is what it is. 120 miles divided by 15 mpg is 8 gallons of gas. 8 gallons x $3.50 a gallon is $28. I surely and completely apologize for f***ing up my math and missing it by $2. I figured rounding up the $2 was ok.....aparently you feel otherwise.

And also...i'm so sorry that you drive a 30 mpg Prius.:cool:. You should man the f*** up and get a real vehicle.

Last edited:
My truck gets 15 miles to the gallon. Is what it is. 120 miles divided by 15 mpg is 8 gallons of gas. 8 gallons x $3.50 a gallon is $28. I surely and completely apologize for f***ing up my math and missing it by $2. I figured rounding up the $2 was ok.....aparently you feel otherwise.

And also...i'm so sorry that you drive a 30 mpg Prius.:cool:. You should man the f*** up and get a real vehicle.
Is it a Mack?

I drive a Lesbaru. I think Prius get more like 45?

I do however, have an old Dodge 3/4 ton that gets 10mpg. May I live?

What do you DRIVE?! A frigging Mack truck?

120 miles should be maybe 4 gallons at most, so more like $10
What do YOU drive? A "smart car"?? [rofl2]

The best mileage I've seen in my truck was 26.4mpg (not stomping on it, so more v4 then v8 time).

Do you have 3-6 hours to burn to save <$90? Yeah, I know it's an hour each way, but how many times are you (or anyone here really) in/out of a GUN STORE in minutes?

I drive a Lesbaru. I think Prius get more like 45?

I do however, have an old Dodge 3/4 ton that gets 10mpg. May I live?
Lesbaru?? [rofl2] The truck means your 'Man card' won't get shredded immediately. How MUCH you drive the truck (compared with the lesbaru) will tell more.

Yes, Gas and Time are something people don't figure in when traveling an hour for that "deal". It doesn't take long before that 50 dollar savings is eaten up in time and gas, wear and tear on the car, etc.

I don't bother anymore......even private sales, the last good "deal" I got for 400 less than new, and I had to travel an hour and a half one way, and half way thru I said, never again...Im paying the extra and buying new online. Made it worse when finally got there, the seller misadvertised the condition by a good amount, gun was told to be LNIB, but had visible holster wear, with chips and finish missing, even wear on the stainless, I could tell the gun was carried alot. I had made the deal, and didn't lowball or back out, because that's not cool either. Not the end of the world, as I plan on carrying it too...but certainly that "deal" turned out to be an average buy, maybe worth what I paid, but not worth the travel and gas money tacked onto the price.

Yes, Gas and Time are something people don't figure in when traveling an hour for that "deal". It doesn't take long before that 50 dollar savings is eaten up in time and gas, wear and tear on the car, etc.

I don't bother anymore......even private sales, the last good "deal" I got for 400 less than new, and I had to travel an hour and a half one way, and half way thru I said, never again...Im paying the extra and buying new online. Made it worse when finally got there, the seller misadvertised the condition by a good amount, gun was told to be LNIB, but had visible holster wear, with chips and finish missing, even wear on the stainless, I could tell the gun was carried alot. I had made the deal, and didn't lowball or back out, because that's not cool either. Not the end of the world, as I plan on carrying it too...but certainly that "deal" turned out to be an average buy, maybe worth what I paid, but not worth the travel and gas money tacked onto the price.
There was some guy on here I went back and forth with about what a good "deal" was. He was talking about a 2 hour drive one way to save something like $30. Folks called him out on how much he was gonna spend on gas and he said giving the business to the shop with the better price just made him feel better. What a dolt.

Last edited:
Double or triple your drive time and gas money.
When you get to the range and the (broken or defective part) snaps off or jambs up, and you need to go back and get it fixed.
Of course you could possibly ship it back to wherever it has to go.
Also, does the price include all the mags and accessories?
I'll probably get delayed too, cuz some guy with my name burned a car with a dead stripper in the trunk (true story)

There was some guy on here I went back and forth with about what a good "deal" was. He was talking about a 2 hour drive one way to save something like $30. Folks called him out on how much he was gonna spend on gas and he said giving the business to the shop with the better price just made him feel better. What a dolt.

If it was a shop I particularly liked that was 2 hours away, I'd happily go give them the business as opposed to someplace like Cabela's/BPS. That's a principle thing, though, not really about the price.

Yeah....if your buying on principal fine, but guys at my club tell me they drive 3 hours to FS and save 100 dollars over the local shops...I always ask them how much the gas for their F250 cost, and what their time is worth. Usually I get a blank stare....or yeah....guess I didn't save that much.

Back
Top Bottom