AKM build

Sorry if I am bumping an old thread but I was curious about building an AK74. I have wanted an AK for such a long time, its not even funny. I was wondering just how hard it is to build an AK. I built my AR, and it worked out pretty well. Is it similar? Is it possible to buy a completed upper? What kind of work is required for the receiver? I have no major tools.

Two different beasts. Building an AR is more just assembling pieces like legos. Building an AK is actually building something. You should check out Boris's shovel AK thread for a real​ build ;)

Sorry if I am bumping an old thread but I was curious about building an AK74. I have wanted an AK for such a long time, its not even funny. I was wondering just how hard it is to build an AK. I built my AR, and it worked out pretty well. Is it similar? Is it possible to buy a completed upper? What kind of work is required for the receiver? I have no major tools.

Ak's don't have uppers.
Major work on receiver? Reverting trunnions in and pressing barrel. Depending on receiver also riveting trigger guard and or installing mag release.
Then just tossing the fcg in and attaching the stock etc.
If you don't buy a head spaced populated kit you have to head space and press pin all the other parts on the barrel.

Unless you want to buy all the tools.
Have friends that have the tools.
Wait till there is a build party .
Or make friends with a ak builder on this site .
You better off just buying one.

Now I'll get flamed for this .
If you have no tools etc and dead set on building one. The closest thing you could do is a screw build. You just would need to drill and tap the trunnions . I would not do a screw build unless I was doing a custom caliber etc and mite need to take it apart and do things to it.

Others claim to have no problems with screw builds but it's like a poly lower for a ak. It's asking for some thing to break .

Back
Top Bottom