• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Upper Build Tips/Lessons Learned

EMTDAD

NES Member
Ok.. last year built my first lower, and bought a complete upper.. This year I'm trying to build my first upper... working on getting all the parts together... you all had such good advice on the lower build, I figured I'd ask again about the upper build. Just waiting for a few ordered parts to come in

Stripped upper ✅
dust cover✅
Fwd assist✅
barrel✅
gas block✅
gas tube✅
handguard/barrel nut✅
muzzle device w/crush washer✅
Bolt carrier group
charging handle

so... using a Strike Industries dust cover made that extremely simple as it has a spring loaded pin. The AERO upper has a threaded forward assist pin to make that easy.. The barrel has an indent on the bottom to line up the gas block screw. Seems like it all goes together pretty straightforward... no springs to lose. LOL

anything else I should really be aware of? TIA

Follow directions for recommended torques and use Areoshell on the barrel nut and Blue lock tite on the gas block set screws.

Mr. Guns and gear has some good videos.

Getting the gas block to stay put is one of the hardest parts. On the last one I built, I drove the set screws hard enough down to mark the barrel, then removed them, used a punch to make a dimple, then set them with lock tight. So far ,so good. I second the Aeroshell. If you ever change out the barrel, you will be glad you did.

So. Is Aeroshell special? Are there equivalent alternatives?

I assume to put it on where the barrel gets inserted into the receiver as well as on the barrel nut threads?

Ok, which Aeroshell?

I searched on Amazon and e up with like eleventy-six products.

I assume to put it on where the barrel gets inserted into the receiver as well as on the barrel nut threads?
I have used Valvoline VV986 synthetic grease as an alternative. MSDS is similar to Aeroshell 33. Most important thing is no graphite as that doesn't play well with aluminum... so it is reported. If you are going to meet-up tomorrow, I can bring you a scoop of the Valvoline. Good luck
20230409_185024.jpg 20230409_185033.jpg

I think it is 64 something? It is basically like never-seez

I use marine antiseize on the barrel nut/extension. Good for like 2400 degrees before it separates and it stops/siesnt promote galvanic corrosion. No problems.
Check out locktite orange for threadlocker. Holds like red, breaks free with hand tools like blue.

finally finished the upper.. just need the BCG and charging handle.. thanks for the tips.. hardest part was inserting the gas block pin to the tube.. just keeping it all lined up was a PITA.

oh yeah.. some stupid shit.. like the barrel nut needing a 30mm crows foot, which I didn't have.. and a little disappointed that the Strike Industries FDE FA isn't quite FDE. More like bronze.

2Tt-U_zl4oOAAReW6_etMuYM32XgxgoS_a9LS6tTtAKRnnsti0gfbizplQTdC9nljxDaHbEOuxJF0Hzz3mN6ubHLwCnwHQbYEKk8Of-6rGrIWEuvFlp_A-loJnN182PMw8cwaMkBFINbo3HPu42dFLc43cDQ032o72QjtYBO7VDw6szmT3chtj22WFlNlw9Tj0Aw3Gs6MNkmI9Zw8IQKdVHVLerPinBFBsDvn3uWURljE4LM8NbmAQysf5-Tx8rJziUvuERRyBDVhcGRjQwqApGB0AgE9AtmtwpMSE8ii9ikemxk8d5RUKQTn_01cj755CvvH4y7e2XOWk2D9ACvPzcndNVSSlYNa5XfPs3PoNPphr1WWqDzCZpG1eqdV2-M7ut1QEHPGpf6q3cCTLRfGa47aIvGktpxp13nH_ggqJOoJ3Bq0_pEq8cIM9YnLkUk1jo80rwyTDrhpKCu3Mmv9_sSlnh6meoWzOkaVr4n1DZOS7M3o2vZgAR99d6URnM9Tx73bRYIYHcB59gOxy6gLLTLWaSiAc_on5V7HGIgI0-8PG0jds6ikSBtY16vNXU0oxp_euEc3d1TGLlhxgs0JoFj6uqasPHV9epieBWcyvJtQN5Ak9OruqVtmxb9DtdudIXKTv32wCpXhAM67lV0MsN5b3sQn66swt239IH6Mfect8tY813DlFTcNGdEJczdGwxakETbItRnv07W6r23DGFgGh25ozhc_kDm8d2pgRip0LfDHifiGsdjv-JllKR5F1aoaCVp9JTON81_yVdTmeJlrRbHnBXMDgwcjPJ1P1rWJWFVOXstbqVSCpSXXJxJTT3OgHRSbEQjp4kFOj4cM0rtKocmP8tTpxX5IHWp96xiNGraQXdo-cWumR9oEJxIk0HXpTFJk8bSo6e6Bna4jUleF-u8z9UIftgrUvFJMsYdJg=w1249-h937-s-no

Last edited:
it's just so much more convenient to buy your upper "off the shelf." the barrel is probably the most important component anyway and you can certainly have pretty much anything installed your heart desires. it's not like the gun will shoot that much better with this dust cover as opposed to that one. the thing that gives people headaches is the gas system, as proven here on nes by how many threads we have that start out saying "my ar won't function." and of course the fire control group is also a make it or break it deal. the 2 things you want to spend money on...fire control and a barrel.

it's just so much more convenient to buy your upper "off the shelf." the barrel is probably the most important component anyway and you can certainly have pretty much anything installed your heart desires. it's not like the gun will shoot that much better with this dust cover as opposed to that one. the thing that gives people headaches is the gas system, as proven here on nes by how many threads we have that start out saying "my ar won't function." and of course the fire control group is also a make it or break it deal. the 2 things you want to spend money on...fire control and a barrel.

I did that with my first build. (complete upper). I wanted to try building it, as it seemed very straightforward. Everything I got was milspec, so I hope it'll be fine.. I hope when I bring it to the range it runs without any issues..

for an FCG, I got a RISE 140 drop in trigger.. seems great for $140.

finally finished the upper.. just need the BCG and charging handle.. thanks for the tips.. hardest part was inserting the gas block pin to the tube.. just keeping it all lined up was a PITA.

2Tt-U_zl4oOAAReW6_etMuYM32XgxgoS_a9LS6tTtAKRnnsti0gfbizplQTdC9nljxDaHbEOuxJF0Hzz3mN6ubHLwCnwHQbYEKk8Of-6rGrIWEuvFlp_A-loJnN182PMw8cwaMkBFINbo3HPu42dFLc43cDQ032o72QjtYBO7VDw6szmT3chtj22WFlNlw9Tj0Aw3Gs6MNkmI9Zw8IQKdVHVLerPinBFBsDvn3uWURljE4LM8NbmAQysf5-Tx8rJziUvuERRyBDVhcGRjQwqApGB0AgE9AtmtwpMSE8ii9ikemxk8d5RUKQTn_01cj755CvvH4y7e2XOWk2D9ACvPzcndNVSSlYNa5XfPs3PoNPphr1WWqDzCZpG1eqdV2-M7ut1QEHPGpf6q3cCTLRfGa47aIvGktpxp13nH_ggqJOoJ3Bq0_pEq8cIM9YnLkUk1jo80rwyTDrhpKCu3Mmv9_sSlnh6meoWzOkaVr4n1DZOS7M3o2vZgAR99d6URnM9Tx73bRYIYHcB59gOxy6gLLTLWaSiAc_on5V7HGIgI0-8PG0jds6ikSBtY16vNXU0oxp_euEc3d1TGLlhxgs0JoFj6uqasPHV9epieBWcyvJtQN5Ak9OruqVtmxb9DtdudIXKTv32wCpXhAM67lV0MsN5b3sQn66swt239IH6Mfect8tY813DlFTcNGdEJczdGwxakETbItRnv07W6r23DGFgGh25ozhc_kDm8d2pgRip0LfDHifiGsdjv-JllKR5F1aoaCVp9JTON81_yVdTmeJlrRbHnBXMDgwcjPJ1P1rWJWFVOXstbqVSCpSXXJxJTT3OgHRSbEQjp4kFOj4cM0rtKocmP8tTpxX5IHWp96xiNGraQXdo-cWumR9oEJxIk0HXpTFJk8bSo6e6Bna4jUleF-u8z9UIftgrUvFJMsYdJg=w1249-h937-s-no
Try doing an A2 rear sight without the right installation tool, its a PIA with the tool. The gas tube roll pin can sure be a pain, I keep little wood shims on the bench to put under the gas block to make it lay as flat as I can, it helps.

Back
Top Bottom