AKM build

Cluster F

USMC Veteran
NES Member
So I want to build an AK. I have some knowledge as I have build one before from a kit and 100% reviever. I am impatient and don't want to wait for Nodaks to come back in stock and was looking for alternatives for a 100% receiver and all I can find is southern armament. I want to build an under folder and they have them. Any reviews on them or any other companies? Or should I suck it up and wait for nodak. I already emailed them to be out on a notification list. Or I could go fixed stock and get the nodak I need to drill all the trunnion holes for which scares me since just doing the front ones on my other one was hairy.

Last edited:
rear hole placement not nearly as crucial as front trunnion hole placement.

did you use a jig for front trunnion hole drilling. if not this is perhaps why it was 'hairy'

i would not worry about getting fixed stock receiver and then just making proper holes and cuts for an underfolder.
i did same for my sidefolder build.

they only place i can suggest (which i'm gonna use for my next build) is childers
they have 80% fixed stock pre-heat-treated receivers. AFAIK it's mil-spec polish Radom made ak47 and ak74 receivers. good quiality stuff. since they lack all holes besides FCG and mag you can adapt those to pretty much any build you want with just some patience, dremmel and set of carbide burrs.

Last edited:
I didn't use a jig for the front haha but nodak has plain fixed stock with no holes drilled receivers in stock. I may just be impatient and get a fixed stock kit. The under folder is just something I have never had although very impractical in MA cause it has to be fixed

I'd wait for a NODAK, I like their quality.

Did you try putting a WTB add on the akfiles? Someone somewhere has an extra.

I have built on Southern Armament and Ohio Ordnance Works receivers. We did a group buy a couple years ago on OOW, and got them for like $40 each.

I got my SA receivers pre-drilled, and they actually took quite a bit of fitting to make them work. The OOW ones were undrilled. It was pretty easy to get the holes spotted, and they worked great with less fiddling than the pre-drilled ones.

I haven't built on a Nodak yet, but everyone insists they are the best. They are probably worth waiting for.

I have a Polish kit being delivered to my house tomorrow, without a receiver to build on. Another receiver group buy would be awesome right now [grin]. My WTB ad has fallen on deaf ears [sad].

I've built a amd 65 on a nordak. Only fitting needed was alittle bit of file work for the rear trunnion to slide in.
Also built a amd on a polish 80% .

If you gonna do a 80% stay away from cold steel . They kinda just suck all around .

AK receiver question

Anyone ever use or hear about childers guns receivers? Just wondering if anyone has built on them or do they require fitting?

I've help a member build one. He offers options on selector markings and sells at a decent price. If I was gonna build from a 100% receiver I'd would buy from him.

I've built a amd 65 on a nordak. Only fitting needed was alittle bit of file work for the rear trunnion to slide in.
Also built a amd on a polish 80% .

If you gonna do a 80% stay away from cold steel . They kinda just suck all around .

zevymame.jpg

This ^^^^^^^^is what most firing points at Knob Creek used to look like on Saturday afternoon, now not so much.

Just been reading people love em and the extras you can get but weary because some say the extractor tab may need fitting which I have 0 experience on lol. My NoDak went together with no fitting. But I like that he's got em in stock and stuff and has good reviews

Just been reading people love em and the extras you can get but weary because some say the extractor tab may need fitting which I have 0 experience on lol. My NoDak went together with no fitting. But I like that he's got em in stock and stuff and has good reviews

Stupid simple to fit . Clamp trunnions in toss bolt carter group in.
If the extractor doesn't clear just file till it clears.

My kit came today! Hungarian fixed stock. Love the furniture. Lobe the wear on the parts. Never gets old opening up a kit. Never know what you will find. Pretty pumped I just need to demill the trigger guard. The rear trunnion can be a pain.

What do you meen? Instead of trying to demil this one?

I just meant some times it's such a pain in the ass to drill the rivets out because of the condition some of the kits come (not saying yours) it's easy to just buy a new one. Then you install your first mag catch and realize you'll rather fight demilling one then installing a mag catch .

Oh OK gotcha. I'm just glad the rear trunnion doesn't need it haha. I'm going to bring it to work and try grinding on the trigger guard. Dare I say part of the fun in the build process.
I just meant some times it's such a pain in the ass to drill the rivets out because of the condition some of the kits come (not saying yours) it's easy to just buy a new one. Then you install your first mag catch and realize you'll rather fight demilling one then installing a mag catch .

The thing I hate is drilling the rear rivets akms suck more since there have two long rivets. There's been a few times as soon as the tip breaks through the but snaps. So I spend 20 mins trying to get that but out .

Stupid simple to fit . Clamp trunnions in toss bolt carter group in.
If the extractor doesn't clear just file till it clears.

You sure we're not talking about the ejector here?

Back
Top Bottom