• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Working on my build.

Hello everyone, I have a ar15 that I am building basically complete now, now I’m trying to figure out if I can put a muzzle break(NOT A FLASH SUPPRESSOR) would this be legal in MA if I had someone thread the barrel and pin and welded?
Or should I just keep it the way it sits?

Attachments

• D8EAD7D3-A367-4F9D-8E49-D702E6D3B01D.jpeg
    D8EAD7D3-A367-4F9D-8E49-D702E6D3B01D.jpeg
    983.7 KB · Views: 68
Totally up to you. You can leave it the way it is if you like that look.
Wonder what the difference is in muzzle flip or recoil without a good muzzle break..

You could see how it shoots before you thread the barrel.

Is the barrel less than 14.5" or is it at 16" the way it is now?

Edit. Nvm that is clearly 16+

I have ar-15s with both muzzle break and target crown and don't feel much difference with muzzle flip. I can tell you the the people on either side of me on the firing line appreciate the target crown as the muzzle break is loud. Good luck
Maybe he should look into a linear comp. They direct the concussion down range but shoot fireballs. The SLR ones are cool.

I’m really just trying to keep the recoil down alittle bit. I think I would be getting a different barrel if I were to go that route
Just looking to see if it was legal to do.
I know prebans I’m aloud to have a flash suppressor.

Wonder what the difference is in muzzle flip or recoil without a good muzzle break..
on a .223 with a good break there is a difference for sure, but, it is not nearly as dramatic as on bigger calibers.
new aero brakes do work very well, i am a fan of epsilons - but all of them - gamma, epsilon, delta are good.

1681436735586.png

I’m really just trying to keep the recoil down alittle bit. I think I would be getting a different barrel if I were to go that route
Just looking to see if it was legal to do.
I know prebans I’m aloud to have a flash suppressor.
Get a 22lr upper, cuts recoil and costs way down

Try something like this if you want a brake and want to be able to not create hate & discontent at the range.
With the sleeve on it does a good job of essentially turning off the brake

Otherwise just keep the unthreaded barrel and you'll probably be happier (if you want something more tactical grab another upper to set up that way)

Edited due to writing while not under the influence of caffeine

Last edited:
Try something like this if you want a brake and want to be able to not create hate & discontent at the range.

Otherwise just keep the unthreaded barrel and you'll probably be happier (if you want something more tactical grab another upper to set up that way)

I wish I could have a flash suppressor, they look cooler imo but good old Massachusetts won’t let me have it without classifying the rifle as an “assault weapon” I actually wonder if I put a flush suppressor on it if they would be able to tell the difference. Im only going to the range

Last edited:
I wish I could have a flash suppressor, they look cooler imo but good old Massachusetts won’t let me have it without classifying the rifle as an “assault weapon” I actually wonder if I put a flush suppressor on it if they would be able to tell the difference. Im only going to the range
Unless you are firing at night a flash suppressor is unnecessary
If it is for ascetics then there are numerous brakes out there that are very aggressive looking and do some level of flash suppression (but that isn't their primary purpose so they are legal)

Or just look at those next to you that are bothered with a slight grin and keep shooting

This is what I had on my RRA upper that I cut off to make weight for cmp …. Rock River Arms 1/2x28 Military Style Muzzle Brake

I don’t know the technicalities on what’s legal and what’s not and what makes a break a break or a flash out of a flash hider they call it a military style break and I can tell you from shooting it after sunset it does not hide flash much at all I’m using speak to type, so ignore any misspellings

I actually wonder if I put a flush suppressor on it if they would be able to tell the difference. Im only going to the range
Lol it's still a disabling felony, however rarely enforced. If you cross the bridge though its best enough to be informed. Lots of people have flipped the bird to the state but at least do it knowing the risk.

BCM has a muzzle brake that looks like a A2

Mod xx (can’t remember the number) I have one.

And it looks more legit than the RRA

Found it. Mod 0

BCM has a muzzle brake that looks like a A2

Mod xx (can’t remember the number) I have one.

And it looks more legit than the RRA

Found it. Mod 0

Yup! That’s about the style I’m looking for. Now I just gotta figure out if I can find someone who can thread a barrel haha

Yup! That’s about the style I’m looking for. Now I just gotta figure out if I can find someone who can thread a barrel haha
I have one on one of my builds, I’d standardize on it if they were cheaper. Love the look.

Good luck on the threading

Honestly, you don’t need a brake on a 5.56. Not a lot of muzzle rise. I have a non threaded muzzle on a build.

Back
Top Bottom