• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

10/22 build

qwik88

NES Member
looking to do a custom 10/22 should i start from scratch or start with a rifle? pros and cons? leaning towards doing everything aftermarket looking for light and accurate to 100 yards

If you want to do "everything," then start from scratch. Otherwise, you'll end up with a pile of leftovers for no good reason.

of course there's a good reason, cause when he's done building the custom rifle there will be leftover parts for another 10/22.

all kidding aside, It just really depends on how fast you want to get to your custom rifle. I have 3 10/22's and it all started with a stock 10/22. They are like gremlins, a little bit of water and they multiply.

If you want a tack driver of a 10/22 don't waste your time just buy a kidd and be done with it. There's nothing you're going to buy that isn't eventually going to morph into a kidd rifle. If I was going to start over again, I would have just purchased a kidd, cause after 10 years of swapping parts, I have a kidd rifle minus the trigger. That's my next purchase. The only thing I wouldn't get from kidd is the stock. I'm found of the Victor Titan stocks.

Get 80% 10/22 receiver with integrated picatinny on top. They are stupid easy to finish.

Get Kidd doublestage trigger, they are worth it.

Barrels ... get one, you can swap them easy, I'd not worry about it.

Have fun shopping stocks, plenty out there, including tacticool ones.

Don't register your receiver, keep Man out of your life.

Get 80% 10/22 receiver with integrated picatinny on top. They are stupid easy to finish.

Get Kidd doublestage trigger, they are worth it.

Barrels ... get one, you can swap them easy, I'd not worry about it.

Have fun shopping stocks, plenty out there, including tacticool ones.

Don't register your receiver, keep Man out of your life.
what 80's you using?

I just got stock , just used the receiver and bolt. Then later got another receiver and bolt and you have another 10/22. IMG_1220.jpeg

I'm kind of wandering if 80% were made in plastic, they could be 3d printed too, not that you want to go that route.

I just like square back, unlike Rugers hump.

I was considering the same question last summer, looking at buying and modifying a stock rifle or build from scratch. A complete rifle costs around $300, depending on the model and where it's bought. Once the barrel, trigger, and stock are upgraded, you're left with a lot of parts, and the bolt and receiver have cost you $300! I didn't want a pile of parts, and I didn't want to try and sell them off, so I went with a build from scratch.

The only Ruger part in the build is a BX trigger pack. The receiver is Brownell's, and features a hole in the back so the rifle can be cleaned from the breach end. They offer this in a smooth top version as well as one with an integrated rail. There are many sources for barrels, but as someone mentioned above, KIDD is definitely worth a look. The modularity of the design makes it easy to swap parts down the road if you decide to upgrade something. Since building this last August and shooting it every 2-3 weeks since I have only swapped out the charging handle for a larger one. Everything else has worked beyond expectation!

10-22 Build 1.jpg

10-22 Build 2.jpg

Last edited:
check out the new ruger 10/22 comp
ruger finally made the changes that made the Kidd version better, with a second receiver anchor point.

i have a buddy who just picked it up, and it shoots on par with my fully geeked out clark custom gun works 10/22, and my 3 other built ones, straight out of the box. would be easy to add an upgraded trigger to it and be done

I swapped scopes on the 10/22 build in the pics a few posts ago, and shot some groups at 50 yards with a few ammo types I had in the range bag. Normally I just plink at the 300 and 400 yard range with this rifle and like the way it performs, so I haven't done much target shooting with it.

I have to say, I can recommend a KIDD barrel to anyone wanting to build a 10/22. I bought a bull barrel that came out to about $260 shipped, and could not be happier with the results. Except for the fact it seems to really like the Lapua, which is the most expensive .22 I have ever shot!

Target.png

Last edited:
I built a Kidd over time one part at a time. I would go that way personally if I had to do it again. You end up getting exactly what you want .

If you want a tack driver of a 10/22 don't waste your time just buy a kidd and be done with it. There's nothing you're going to buy that isn't eventually going to morph into a kidd rifle. If I was going to start over again, I would have just purchased a kidd, cause after 10 years of swapping parts, I have a kidd rifle minus the trigger. That's my next purchase. The only thing I wouldn't get from kidd is the stock. I'm found of the Victor Titan stocks.
This is so true [laugh]

At this very moment Witch City Arms in Beverly has a Super Grade Kidd 10/22 Rifle for sale on consignment, this isn’t just all superior best parts this is a complete firearm manufactured and assembled by Kidd Inovation Designs.

Super Duper Rare in this state.

A Match Grade rimfire rifle in a semi auto ..

Back
Top Bottom