Active Shooter El Paso Texas August 3rd 2019

I don't either, but I would bet anything the daily carry rate is higher amongst gun owners with CHLs that have kids etc. That seemed to be
a recurring thing on a number of gun forums I was on- a lot of people carried to protect their spouse/kids more than anything else.

-Mike
Spot on. Me at the mall/wherever 50-50 I’m packin’. With the family straight Noah MacManus.

By the way, signage is important in Texas. Trespass is a Class C misdemeanor, the same as a speeding ticket. But trespass while in possession of any "deadly weapon" jumps up to a Class A misdemeanor, which means up to one year in jail and a $10,000 fine, plus loss of license for a minimum of five years after the end of the sentence.

That's why the legal notices are so huge (about 18x36"): so they're unmistakable.

My wife doesn’t (hasn’t for awhile actually) asked why I carry everywhere anymore.
Same here. Plus I'm almost always 1lb heavier around the house and yard. But with a wife, 2 boys in college and elderly mom that all need me, I'm years away from being a sheepdog moving towards the gunfire. At least thats what I tell myself. One never really knows until fate tests you, but I mentally rehearse the oldest form of self-defense, running the other direction.

As cold as it sounds, all those other people could have gotten a license, a CCW gun and training. That they chose not to does not obligate me to risk my life or years in jail or my life savings and kid's college $ trying to not go to jail (this is MA after all).

Valid point. I don't have kids, so I'm still in play.

Also, keep in mind that another joe pistol carrier may very well think youre the one shooting the place up and may also want to play hero. Your handgun is a defensive weapon meant to protect you and yours. Take cover, asses the situation and gtfo. With that said, if the dude is 15ft from you have at it.

Yes, but pretty much everyone with a brain ignores those stupid signs, they're only a misdemeanor in most
cases.

I just think it was a matter of "low carry rate". A lot of people think "oh texas, everyone has a gun" yeah, but maybe single digit % carry on
the reg, all you have to do is have the shit lottery happen and no good guys with guns are around.

ETA: That said, binding signage does have an effect in terms of telling lawful gun owners "we don't want your business". And if it was posted, it's definitely in the category of "not helping".

-Mike
Around here signage isn't binding, worst case is they ask you to leave and if you don't it's a trespass charge. Down there you go to jail.

I think in Texas it's a class C misdemeanor (whatever that means).

By the way, signage is important in Texas. Trespass is a Class C misdemeanor, the same as a speeding ticket. But trespass while in possession of any "deadly weapon" jumps up to a Class A misdemeanor, which means up to one year in jail and a $10,000 fine, plus loss of license for a minimum of five years after the end of the sentence.

That's why the legal notices are so huge (about 18x36"): so they're unmistakable.

IMHO the notices are huge because that was something the pro gun types in TX worked into the deal- they wanted businesses that posted signage to look dumb while doing so. They made PC 30.06 intentionally obnoxious for the poster to comply with, and the size of the signs is part of that whole circus. As well as the bilingual requirement. The idea is to make the posting business look really dumb.

I don't ever remember it being any more than a C, btw, assuming the person left the premises.

-Mike

As others have said in different ways; We don’t carry to get involved - we carry so we can stay involved with our loved ones.

If I’m in a shooter situation alone, I might try to stop it. If I’m in a shooter situation with my family, I’m protecting them and getting them out. If I’m confronted by the bad guy, he’s not walking away without at least some extra holes.

Also, a handgun against a long gun sucks; but it beats no gun.

Also, a handgun against a long gun sucks; but it beats no gun.
My great uncle was a cowboy in eastern Oregon in the 1890s. He told a story of a guy with a revolver drawing on a guy with a rifle at over 50 yards. The guy with the rifle prevailed in the street, was arrested and prevailed in court. Revolver calling out a rifle not at close range: the judge ruled it a suicide [rofl]

This kid is going to have it rough in prison while he awaits execution.

Latino prison gangs are not known for being friendly.

They are going to feed him is berries before he ever gets executed.

They might even remove his twig.

Clearly this kid did not think this though.

The inmate run kitchen is going to give them his just desserts.

He is going to wish he were dead.

Only way he can survive is if he becomes a gobbler or a receptacle.

It wasn't a gun free zone. There are no 30.06 or 30.07 signs anywhere on the property. The Google Street View images are from April 2019, and there is no signage at the Walmart, the mall next door, or at the parking lot entrances.
It is a Simon Mall. ALL Simon Malls forbid "weapons" on the premises, and have signage indicating this.

I think it is time we started having a discussion about a partition of the country. The people who support, and pass victim disarmament laws that make these events possible need to be relocated. For example the Mass AG, CT AG, Pocahontas should either be deported, or moved to CA and then have CA walled off. Or better yet send them to Red China where they will be with their own people. The timing of this event is too much of a coincidence. When communists like Pocahontas call for more victim disarmament laws before we even know all the facts, should make any rational person think long and hard about what is going on.
In the mean time, get to the Range, practice, and zero things in.

What I can't believe is that no one was CCW'ing and had the fortitude to stop that dog in his tracks. I thought Texans were "armed to the teeth"?

I know many here say "Don't get involved..."
Not me, if able; I'd get involved. These were people like us being gunned down.
I couldn't live with myself If I "did nothing"...

~Enbloc
I read a FB from a woman CCW who heard shots and got out. San Antonio CERT member (Community Emergency Response Team) - cold zone trained. No duty to find, fix, flank and finish. Just self-defense.

Me? If line of sight within 30yd with cover & concealment - I’d make a decision based on situation. @Two+ shooters, rifles, no way - I’m out. A school full of kids, different story.

It wasn't a gun free zone. There are no 30.06 or 30.07 signs anywhere on the property. The Google Street View images are from April 2019, and there is no signage at the Walmart, the mall next door, or at the parking lot entrances.
That is about to change, I suspect.

Problem is aside from the WASR-10 they're either junk or cost the same as a S&W M&P 10.

I wouldn't rush out and buy something you haven't done any research on and AK's there's very few made that are worth the money as I don't find a $900 AK worth the money.

Ya, ya ya, its the same old saw. AK vs AR......the never ending story. I get it. I'm not late to to AK scene, I've built many of them back when complete, matching barreled kits was the norm @ $150. Those days are gone for sure and never to return, certainly not in commie run states.

My point is they will likely become the new "old" villain again so anyone wanting to have one should consider getting one soon before the tards on the left propose a specific ban on them with their usual emotional, knee jerk reactions, thats all.
There's always the "lack of foresight" crowd who can never seem to see the writing on the wall until they are plowed up against that wall. I've seen it happen many times in the past thirty years, this gun, that gun, this type of ammo, that type of ammo, this caliber, this size magazine, crankfires, bumpstocks, etc. etc. on and on.
Never forget....These are the "Good Old Days" that you will look back at, some wishing they had "backed up the truck" to the loading dock on certain things.....been there, done that and learned from it.

You talk about WASR-10.......several years ago, you couldn't give a WASR away, then all of a sudden they became popular. Things are cyclic in the gun world. Get what you can/want when you can. Virtually none of it gets any cheaper and usually never increases in supply.

Reports I had seen said that the mall was posted with correct signs, I don't know if that is true but people were talking about it.

With a license violating the 30.06 sign by itself and leaving if you are asked is only a $200 fine with no loss of license indicated unless it is somewhere else in the law that I didn't see.

Seems like a Christchurch clone. Moby committing an atrocity to help out his own team. Probably will intentionally turn his trial into a circus for political gain.

Amy Klobuchar, Beto O'Rourke slam Trump in wake of El Paso massacre, face backlash for politicizing tragedy

The political circus monkeys are already chirping....Just to name a few.

Back
Top Bottom