Active Shooter El Paso Texas August 3rd 2019

Same here. Plus I'm almost always 1lb heavier around the house and yard. But with a wife, 2 boys in college and elderly mom that all need me, I'm years away from being a sheepdog moving towards the gunfire. At least thats what I tell myself. One never really knows until fate tests you, but I mentally rehearse the oldest form of self-defense, running the other direction.

With the exception of those who have actually been in the situation (combat vets, a minority of LEO who have experienced it), none of us knows how things will play out or how we’ll react. I’m with you on not being a sheepdog moving towards gunfire unless my kids are in harms way. My theory is protect yourself/loved ones and that will most likely be best achieved by 1. getting out of there or 2. Hiding. Definitely don’t want to go up against a rifle w/ a carry gun. That being said, if I’m hidden under a table somewhere sucking my thumb, I’d be carrying than not - still might not make it out alive but will have a better chance than if not carrying.

How does a "Gun Free Zone" work in a Mall where the anchor stores like Walmart and Dick's SELL guns...?

For example: Pheasant Lane Mall (Nashua, NH) has a Dick's and they sell long guns and ammo.
PLM is a Simon's Mall and has a "GFZ" Policy.

For the record, this may be the only thing that I support about Dicks. (Until the FUDD Board of Directors say they are stopping sales...)

How does a "Gun Free Zone" work in a Mall where the anchor stores like Walmart and Dick's SELL guns...?

For example: Pheasant Lane Mall (Nashua, NH) has a Dick's and they sell long guns and ammo.
PLM is a Simon's Mall and has a "GFZ" Policy.

For the record, this may be the only thing that I support about Dicks. (Until the FUDD Board of Directors say they are stopping sales...)

But do signs have the force of law in NH? In texas it is an actual crime to pass if signage is done correctly. (Although it is only a $200 fine if I am reading that law right.)

Creep was living with grandparents in Allen, Tx outside Dallas. That's a long drive. Father is a mental health counselor. Registered Democrat but statements to police, online activity, manifesto are all cartoonishly over the top caricatures of right wing positions. Smells to high heaven.

Last edited:
But do signs have the force of law in NH?
No, but If security personnel or a mall representative inform you of the policy, ask you to leave, and you do not comply, you could be jammed up on a trespassing charge.

Of course, said personnel could simply make a frantic man-with-a-gun call to the authorities to try to get someone they have detected carrying killed.

Me? If line of sight within 30yd with cover & concealment - I’d make a decision based on situation. @Two+ shooters, rifles, no way - I’m out. A school full of kids, different story.

With the exception of those who have actually been in the situation (combat vets, a minority of LEO who have experienced it), none of us knows how things will play out or how we’ll react

03 Marine here. Take this for what it's worth, which admittedly is what most internet posts are worth.
But, I think most folks seriously underestimate the advantage a rifle has over any side arm. At 30 yards, even a 10/22 has an advantage over a pistol. A rifle round will pass through most of what is on the shelves and still be lethal. A 9mm hollow point will likely not.

Your best bet, and even this is a long shot, is to try and ambush the shooter at very close range. Hide in a clothes rack, wait for shooter to close or pass, then engage. If you don't neutralize the target with a single magazine, your chances for success plummet. If the target can get his muzzle swung around to engage you, your chances for success plummet. Even vs. a noob with a POS AK.

I think the biggest challenge would be to maintain control over yourself. Your adrenaline will be raging, your heart pounding and palms sweating. You may suffer tunnel vision and the report from his rifle will be deafening if he is close. Add to that the screaming and yelling, people scrambling, running and freaking out.

Again. Take the above for what it is worth. But I think I am going to start carrying more often with a round that starts with a 4. Shit like this is the new reality in America. And while I like my PM9 and Sig 365 and 320, I will feel just a little more comfortable with a full sized 1911 and three spare mags in a shoulder rig.
I worry about copy cats. If another white kid decides to reduce the immigrant population...How long before Latin gangs decides to retaliate ? And they are not going to do it in downtown brown town. They are going to roll up to suburbia. And they are nationwide. If they pull it off with any type of coordination, the ringing you hear in the back ground will be the alarm on the go time clocks. Tin Foil hat? Maybe. Spare box of 45 in the truck? Definitely.

But do signs have the force of law in NH? In texas it is an actual crime to pass if signage is done correctly. (Although it is only a $200 fine if I am reading that law right.)
Nope, up here signs are more a suggestion than a rule.

Just thinking out loud... I wonder if Walmart will stop selling firearms and ammo after this.

They're in a tough PR spot with this one.

Sometimes it's just the optics of the situation. Like Jeff Bezos buying a personal yacht that cost $400 million while his employees bathroom breaks are measured to the second...

depends on the profit margin, we both know that morality or law has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Creep was living with grandparents in Allen, Tx outside Dallas. That's a long drive. Father is a mental health counselor. Registered Democrat but statements to police, online activity, manifesto are all cartoonishly over the top characters of right wing positions. Smells to high heaven.

I had a respected, published, doctorate, expert in mental health confirm for me that "on the lower levels" the mental health industry is highly attractive to, and has a disproportionate number of, people with mental health problems..... so a mental health counselor is far more likely to have mental health issues than the average person. Now imagine this person is you father, how F'd up would you be?

No, but If security personnel or a mall representative inform you of the policy, ask you to leave, and you do not comply, you could be jammed up on a trespassing charge.

Of course, said personnel could simply make a frantic man-with-a-gun call to the authorities to try to get someone they have detected carrying killed.

But in NH the cops would respond with "but what is he doing with the gun? Just carrying it. Then I suggest you not assault him and MYOB."

A Harvard Med School grad friend said it more succinctly. She said every shrink she's ever met is nuts.

I had a respected, published, doctorate, expert in mental health confirm for me that "on the lower levels" the mental health industry is highly attractive to, and has a disproportionate number of, people with mental health problems..... so a mental health counselor is far more likely to have mental health issues than the average person. Now imagine this person is you father, how F'd up would you be?

Nope, up here signs are more a suggestion than a rule.

This is my point, I ignore signs in mass because they mean nothing to me. Until someone asks me to leave, I am in the clear. So in NH there is no reason to not carry, and no reason to respect a sign like that. The texas thing is thorny because if it is only a $200 fine then honestly, screw it, I would carry anyway. But I am not a lawyer and do not know if there is another law somewhere that ties in and could jam you up.

But, I think most folks seriously underestimate the advantage a rifle has over any side arm. At 30 yards, even a 10/22 has an advantage over a pistol. A rifle round will pass through most of what is on the shelves and still be lethal. A 9mm hollow point will likely not.
Here is a discussion about this. 5.56 vs 9mm penetration question It's more to do with whether the bullet is the same construction and what the media is that the bullet is impacting than if it's a pistol or rifle round. The rifle definitely has an advantage the further the distance and if body armor is involved.

Dems are terrified of the NRA because of the power it yields in the form of votes and money......
I'm not so sure they're really afraid of the NRA since the NRA supports infringements pretty much just like they do. The NRA backed Trump and he gave us the bump stock ban and ERPO's. Wayne and his cronies were more interested in enriching themselves and by playing gun owners against the threat of dems gun control he was able to do so.

Parade of hurt feelings on Meet the Press.

They’re pissy because Mulvaney actually responded to what the previous guests said, instead of politely letting the show interview him in a vacuum. I don’t think the show intended for him to hear them.

They weren’t prepared for that, and it was awesome.

Trump hasnt given us ERPO's
Not on the federal level but his take the guns first, due process later led to a flurry of them in the states.
The NRA sucks and has sucked for a long time.....but it still yields massive power and regularly threatens politicians to vote a certain way or face the consequences of a bad rating from the NRA.......
Over the years the NRA has rated politicians like Harry Reid as A and given us gun control. The A's of the NRA only would be rated about a C or lower by GOA. As I said I don't think they really feared the NRA and in fact I think they tended to play good cop bad cop in order to enrich all those involved. The NRA, Dems and RINO's.
As stated before......imagine an NRA with a tune up such that they were TRULY pro RKBA and they had millions more dollars to spend on that effort?

The things that could be achieved wrt RKBA would be remarkable
Yes, they would be remarkable but they should have been that way all along yet instead they've supported infringements all along.
Time to reform the NRA and get it back to an actual RKBA organization
Yes I agree the NRA should be reformed but unfortunately I'm concerned that they've become too corrupted by the money and power in DC and are unlikely to do so. LaPierre should have stepped down already but he hasn't.
I'm a Patron life member of the NRA but until they recognize what shall not be infringed means they will get no more money from me. The GOA is much closer to what I want in a pro-gun organization.

No they didnt
The dems were pushing it but they weren't getting very far until his comments.
Trump has caught a lot of flack over his knee jerk comment
He did make another knee jerk comment about suppressors too.
Notice how he's not making dumb knee jerk comments on this weekends shootings orchestrated by braying donks?
About time, but I'm not holding my breath. We'll have to wait and see what direction he takes.

Back
Top Bottom