About 40 guns stolen from Lowell home

Massachusetts......places legal gun owners right up there with registered sex offenders. The only two classes of people who, by law, must notify their LEO of a decision to relocate their place of domicile.
Politicians, er sex offenders at least have to commit a crime before they have to register. They get the benefit of due process as well.

The problem with the Reyes case was the SJC followed it with a second case out of Hampden Cty which completely blew out of the water the issue of children and special needs individuals only. That the psycho got a hold of the gun and tossed it out the window made it an even more difficult proposition to use that case to fight the issue. Conjoined with the poor briefing on that case by the attorney and the timing we had, there was no way to address the full breadth of the issue. I am afraid we may actually have lost the opportunity to treat unlicensed adults as authorized persons without legislative intervention.
Actually, Reyes was argued after McGowan.

The Hampden County ADA was exceptionally well prepared. McGowan's attorney not so much. It will be interesting to see where the justices draw the line. I was present for arguments in both cases and I did not get the sense that the justices or the ADA thought the law required (or should require) a gun to be securely stored anytime it was not in the physical possession of an 'authorized user'. The issue, I think, is going to come down to where control lies between an authorized vs. unauthorized user.

The standard advanced by the ADA was that you're in violation of 131L if you are not sufficiently in control to prevent an unauthorized user from obtaining control of the firearm. Nightstand - ok, but when a psycho girlfriend takes the gun outside and throw it in the bushes there's pretty good evidence that McGowan wasn't control and I think that's where they'll come down. The results might be very different if an authorized user had not actually gained control. We'll just have to wait for a case like that to come along.

Though an acceptable answer to this is get everyone inside the household licensed as a means of insulating yourself from the issue.
Profit is not my only motive in telling my BFS classes that they should have their whole households licensed. [smile]

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL

I actually stopped reading at this point Please, this thread is about a crime that happens and one moron, or the best troll ever, has completely derailed it. Ignore the moron, help out a victim of the crime if you can.

I have never Gotten to the point that I have except on this thread. Pathetic that one morons view of the world makes him the arbiter of a tragedy in another man's life to the point he blames him for being a victim.

Please move out of a free state and move to Boston where an in place AWB will keep you safe.........

According to the latest GOAL newsletter, Rep. Kevin Murphy of Lowell has filed legislation that, if passed, would affect all MA gun owners who have more than 5 firearms. It's H.3257, "An Act Providing for the Secure Storage of Large Numbers of Firearms":

(2) It shall be unlawful to store more than 5 firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, or any combination of such weapons unless such weapons are secured in a locked safe or vault. It shall be unlawful to store more than 10 firearms, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, or any combination...

The last part was cut off, but if it's like the original home rule petition the bill requires a monitored alarm system for anyone who owns more than 10 firearms. I believe Murphy's original version said it needed to be monitored by the town PD.

Of course, if a safe is required, the police would probably need to inspect it too.

Last edited:
I hope this citizen gets a lawyer and sues the COP. He`s robbed and he gets in trouble? NICE!

Not the first time we have seen this happen. Remember the guy in Boston last year? He had 17,i think, firearms stolen from his house. When he called the police he was arrested for suspicion of manufacturing illegal ammo because he had reloading gear.

I had to post a comment on the article to help teach the other moonbats the concept of right and wrong.

Waste of time. Moonbats can't grasp the concept of right and wrong, its too rational. They thrive on happy or sad, not right or wrong. Its an emotion thing ya know?[wink]

According to the latest GOAL newsletter, Rep. Kevin Murphy of Lowell has filed legislation that, if passed, would affect everyone in the state. It's H.3257, "An Act Providing for the Secure Storage of Large Numbers of Firearms":

Unless the state wants to pony up the $ for 2 more $1800+ safes , they can suckle my sweaty hairy nutsack

It would seem the state is also incompetent at information technology. No surprise there.

The bill as it's listed on the website is incomplete. Someone screwed up when they created the PDF. The bill really says that if you have from 1 to 5 guns, they have to be stored in a locked container. From 5 to 10 guns means they have to be in a "safe" (I'd like to know how they'll define that term exactly) and if you have > 10 guns you have to spring for a monitored alarm service.

This seems to be a reaction to the case this thread is based on. I was under the impression that the victim/defendant had a vault. Is that incorrect? Rep. Murphy described it as a closet.

And if Rep. Murphy or any other legislator is reading this, we have a registration system (FA10 form) in MA that should be perfect for tracing guns used in crimes. How often are those guns traced back to people with a MA LTC or FID? If the answer is somewhere close to zero, why do we need more storage laws and more laws that attempt to prevent straw purchases?

Last edited:
Not the first time we have seen this happen. Remember the guy in Boston last year? He had 17,i think, firearms stolen from his house. When he called the police he was arrested for suspicion of manufacturing illegal ammo because he had reloading gear.

I didnt hear about that one......any update on it?

John

According to the latest GOAL newsletter, Rep. Kevin Murphy of Lowell has filed legislation that, if passed, would affect all MA gun owners who have more than 5 firearms ... requires a monitored alarm system for anyone who owns more than 10 firearms. I believe Murphy's original version said ... .

It would seem the state is also incompetent at information technology. No surprise there.

The bill as it's listed on the website is incomplete. Someone screwed up when they created the PDF. ... Is that incorrect? Rep. Murphy described it as a closet.

Looks like Murphy's Law caught up with them!

I wonder, would Capt. Kelly Richardson take away your driver's license and make it illegal for you to buy a car if your car were stolen? How about an investigation into whether the victim bought the car legally? Hey Capt. Kelly Richardson, you are a real hero. Thanks for keeping us all safe.

Why revoke the permit? He didn't do anything wrong?

Bring it on. They keep throwing us softballs we'll keep suing them. The problem is we're busy already. These guys have no respect for our time.
You need to charge them more for it. [wink]

- - - Updated - - -

Why revoke the permit? He didn't do anything wrong?
I guess you missed the meat of the thread? He's been charged with some rather serious (and bogus) crimes for his reloading materials.

... The problem is we're busy already. ...

No, the problem is this:

OUR interest is in firearms. Whether you hunt, defend, shoot skeet or whatever, the focus is on the firearms. We are involved with the protection of rights incidental to that.

THEIR interest is in banning firearms. It isn't a side issue for them, or an obstacle. It is their whole focus.

This needs to come to head and result in a crystal clear resolution on the part of our leaders that the 2A is just as sacrosanct as 1A.

And if Rep. Murphy or any other legislator is reading this, we have a registration system (FA10 form) in MA that should be perfect for tracing guns used in crimes. How often are those guns traced back to people with a MA LTC or FID? If the answer is somewhere close to zero, why do we need more storage laws and more laws that attempt to prevent straw purchases?
+1
But fat chance they'll respect data like that. They add laws on top of laws. They have to appear to be working. Professional politicians, too many of them.

Back
Top Bottom