• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

45 acp, which one?

Not that I have a ton of experience. I have shot both the 1911 (1940s vintage) and a Sig 220 in stainless.

Both work great.

The Sig: 220
I find a little easier to shoot and the sa/da is a nice option.
I found the Sig more accurate as well (stock guns out of the box)
The sig is also heavier than the 1911.

The 1911:
Easier to get into $ wise
More common platform
Tons of parts
Tons of choices options, manufacturers etc.

You said you might shoot bowling pins etc. as well and either will work fine. You will find it easier to upgrade and find mags for the 1911. CDNN had some 10 round mags for the 220 a while back for $40ish ea.

Since you are in NH you may want to consider a Sig 220 Sport. Factory compensated barrel and weighted, better trigger, and longer sight plain adjustable sights. I am not sure if Sig still offers this model but you should be able to find one for around $1200

If I did not live in MA I would own a 220 Sport.[sad]

having shot both the s&w stainless 1911 and the fullsize USP45, i think i would lean towards the USP. for me it was just a perfect fit and highly intuitive. i was the most accurate with it right out of the box.

I have both a P220 and S&W 1911 in stainless. Love 'em both, and both are excellent shooters.

Though a bit bulkier, I prefer the 220 for CC.

I have a Colt series 70 and a Sig p220 and I like them both. I think the Sig is more accurate but both are single stack. You say you want more capacity than 7 or 8 rounds. I also have a Glock 21 thats very accurate, easy to shoot and holds about twice what the other 2 hold.

If you are gonna shoot pins on a regular basis get a 1911. It will allow you to modify it so that you can add things like a magwell, etc.

If you want something that works all around get a Sig P220.

The HK 45s are nice too (HK45, USP 45) but make sure you can get a good
grip on the things; they have higher bore axis and tend to flip more, especially if you have small hands.

-Mike

EAA Witness (10 rounds steel or polymer frame) and the FN P45 (14 rounds polymer frame). Both can be fired doube action, or single action (c&l). I have the 2 witness' (in .45 and 10mm), and plan on picking up the FN at some point. The Witness can be had in the $400 range (standard), and the FN seems to be in the $600 range (with 3 mags). You could also look for a CZ97 (10 round steel frame).

The "which is better" threads always crack me up. You get 30 people with 30 different opinions, and you're ultimately back at square one.

That being said, here's mine:

Probably my favorite shooter is my Sig P220. It just feels right. A VERY close second is just about any 1911.

My favorite carry, at the moment, is my Glock G30. It's also a very good shooter, and 10+1 IS "a big whoop".

R1ch,
If you’re looking for a gun to be used as a pin and target gun, I’d suggest you maximize your selected firearm for game you will shoot. To do that you’ll need to know the rules for the sport(s) you’ll be shooting and why the better shooters at these events made the choices they made.

That may give you an insight into which gun is better for what you want to do.

Respectfully,
jkelly

The "which is better" threads always crack me up. You get 30 people with 30 different opinions, and you're ultimately back at square one.

While I certainly think some guns are better than others, once you're dealing with Glocks, Sigs, 1911s, H&Ks, etc. it seems to be really a personal preference thing. Whats best for one is rarely best for all.

You know I'm going to say 1911 [wink]

Since you are in a free state you have more choices. Although I have three Series I Kimbers and one of them is my usual carry gun, I'm simply not a fan of the Series II Kimbers. The Swartz style safety simply isn't reliable enough, and they've gone through at least three different designs on their external extractor trying to get it to work right. Skip the Kimber.

S&W also has the Swartz style safety, so I'd skip that too, although it is probably more reliable than Kimber.

Personally, I'd suggest three choices:

1) basic Springfield Armory, and budget for a gunsmith to change sights, thumb safety, etc.
2) Springfield Armory Loaded and leave it as is until you decide what you like.
3) High dollar semi-custom like a Wilson Combat.

As for HK, skip it. I have an HK USPc in .45 (previously had one in .40, too). They are reliable and reasonably accurate, but the triggers just suck. Also a double-stack HK .45 may have a grip circumference that is too large for medium sized hands.

I was considering a SA... but again, why are these (1911's) better? Just saying you like them, doesn't say why it's so.

Don't listen to the heretic.[laugh]

HK45 hands down. It's the best balanced, best designed, most reliable, full sized .45 cal you'll ever get your hands on. Shoot any ammo you want out of it, and never worry about FTF / FTE. If you really have an issue with the trigger, - which is what 1911 girly men always complain about, ( i think they have atrophy of the index finger issues) - , you can send it to HK and have them do the LEM conversion. But I highly doubt you'll ever need that.

Regarding grip circumferance, the pistol also has interchangeable backstraps. Something you'll never find on a 1911. 12+1 capacity is also a huge bonus. You also get a safety / decocker lever instead of that assinine cocked & locked design feature that keeps the hammer back on a chambered round.

HK45 also has an ambidexterous mag release under the trigger guard designed in such a way that you cannot accidentally drop your magazine while carrying, — the way you can with a 1911. Snug a 1911 too close to your hip, and when you go to draw... oops! No magazine! It just fell the fawk out somewhere.

The polymer recoil reduction buffer on the spring and guide really reduces muzzle rise, and lets you reseat on target lot better than any 1911 platform, too.

All that said, it's a big, heavy handgun. It's really not a CC piece unless you're a yetti like my brother. It's also sighted low from the factory, so if you're not familiar with HK .45's you'll find your shots dropping about an inch below where you're aiming. That's easily fixed, or adjusted for once you've spent some time at the range with it.

Considering the HK... thanks for the notes. Why are they sighted low, is it the sight picture is different than others?

If you are gonna shoot pins on a regular basis get a 1911. It will allow you to modify it so that you can add things like a magwell, etc.

If you want something that works all around get a Sig P220.

The HK 45s are nice too (HK45, USP 45) but make sure you can get a good
grip on the things; they have higher bore axis and tend to flip more, especially if you have small hands.

-Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the notes on the HK, that helps as Barb as small hands, I can probably handle it.

Good points.

That being said, here's mine:

Probably my favorite shooter is my Sig P220. It just feels right. A VERY close second is just about any 1911.

My favorite carry, at the moment, is my Glock G30. It's also a very good shooter, and 10+1 IS "a big whoop".

I agree... yet another 'which is best thread', but I asked for people to tell me the reasons why they thought one was best. I only recieved a few reasons, most just said 'my favorite is X', or "can't beat a Y". Not very helpful.

I'm learning a lot though, some good info here, thanks guys n gals!

R1ch,
If you’re looking for a gun to be used as a pin and target gun, I’d suggest you maximize your selected firearm for game you will shoot. To do that you’ll need to know the rules for the sport(s) you’ll be shooting and why the better shooters at these events made the choices they made.

That may give you an insight into which gun is better for what you want to do.

Respectfully,
jkelly

You're right, so I thought I'd start here by asking, maybe there are not that many pin shooters here?

You're right, so I thought I'd start here by asking, maybe there are not that many pin shooters here?
Different clubs can shoot pins different rules. Check out the club(s) you want to shoot at. Good luck.

Respectfully,
jkelly

G30...
10+1 with the possibility for a backup mag of 15(13 with a +2 baseplate).
Amazingly accurate.
Very light.
Size is pretty concealable with a flush baseplate.
And when I look at it I don't immediately see a grenade as I do with Most Glocks.

Considering the HK... thanks for the notes. Why are they sighted low, is it the sight picture is different than others?

Dunno. I changed backstraps on my HK45 and now I'm hitting high, which I'm having to get used to as I've shot low with every handgun I've ever fired.

Timber's owned more HK's than I have though, and he's fired mine.

I own an H&K USP fullsize, and H&K 45, both are fantastic. I would give em a try. If you are set on 1911, take a look at Blackhawk Customs new T3.

My choices (witness and fnp45) were for 2 main reasons. The abillity to carry cocked and locked, and capacity. I find the ergonomics of the witness to be fantastic. The frame curves in right below the beavertail which makes for a very consistently repeatable grip. It's a pretty large gun, but the grip is shaped in such a way that with a 2 handed grip is very controlable for a wide variety of hand sizes. I haven't shot the fn, but liked the way it felt in my hand when I was checking it out at cabelas. The witness is also a very customizable platform if you'd like a gun that can grow with you as your skill level increases. There aren't as many places to buy stuff from as there are for 1911's, but there are just as many options. Also, while it's more of a personal thing, it's not your run of the mill gun, and I like having stuff that's a little out of the ordinary.

Any 1911. I have a GI colt that i dont shoot, and a SS Smith that i love.

1911 or nothing.

You dont need +p to shoot plates. I use handloads and cast bullets no problem. I use my 686 in.38 to shoot plates with wad cutter had loads. So dont waist your money on defense ammo to shoot steal.

Any 1911. I have a GI colt that i dont shoot, and a SS Smith that i love.

1911 or nothing.

You dont need +p to shoot plates. I use handloads and cast bullets no problem. I use my 686 in.38 to shoot plates with wad cutter had loads. So dont waist your money on defense ammo to shoot steal.

I'm not shooting plates yet. First fun is with pins, they get heavy as the shoot goes on, so something heavy heading down range is better than something fast. Perhaps I don't need +P, but certainly do think I need a lot of inertia.

I'm not shooting plates yet. First fun is with pins, they get heavy as the shoot goes on, so something heavy heading down range is better than something fast. Perhaps I don't need +P, but certainly do think I need a lot of inertia.

+P is nice but is often overkill. An 800+ FPS 230 gr load will kill pins just fine most of the time... but it is tempting to crank it up a bit if you're reloading. I have one load I use once in awhile that is nipping at the heels of 900 fps or so. I could go higher safely, too, but don't want to increase the
recoil too much. [laugh] I typically try to save the hotter stuff for when the pins get heavy, although one time I ran it pretty much all
day.

-Mike

For target and HD, I'd go with a 1911, seeing as you are in a free state, go with Springfield MC Operator. For the money, it's one of the best 1911's out there. If you want extra capacity, get some 10rd CMC power mags.

Back
Top Bottom