3 neighbors dead following snow removal dispute in PA township

We live on the road that all the plows go in and out from, so there really isn't any no plow time during the snowy season. They are out at 4:30am sharp with the slightest snow. What I normally do when I finish the driveway, is take a few swipes along the road above the driveway with the blower, to widen that section, which means less snow being picked up by the plow before it gets to the driveway. Works like a charm. Also keeps them from chewing up the grass along there when they start their widening phase.

This. I do the same thing; it's not that hard to outsmart the plow.

All of us that live on major roads, state highways and the like know that "waiting 'til the end of the storm and the plows stop" isn't truly an option. The stuff at the bottom compacts too much.

You would be surprised usually these "20 lb of shit in a 5lb bag" neighborhoods can get dicey pretty fast. If I was King building houses in that level of density would actually just be plain out illegal. I live on a lot that's pretty small although not that small and I am lucky that I have good neighbors and also at least two dead lots across the street from me... Basically that setup of Suburbia is more or less human abuse. I'd probably mandate minimum lot sizes 2-3 times that for housing. Only way to increase density after that is a apartment building etc.

I'm sure you'll be surprised, but growing up in FR I've seen people fight(badly sometimes) over less...

I'm going to do something I rarely do on the internet, be serious.

So what? Crap in the street can wait until trash day to get picked up. I'm not disturbed by this, maybe I've seen too much before, but this looks like a public service times three. If this is a precursor to what we can expect, I think defunding the police may be a good idea, for a while. Kinda like the purge. Let's see if people don't calm the f**k down when they realize being filmed isn't going to stop a fist in the mouth or worse.

I grew up when insulting another guy led to a fight. Non fatal, of course, but if you want to insult someone you better be ready to back it up. Now we just have endless victim parades over words and images. Toughen up, Nancy.

Would I resort to shooting someone because they called me a name? No. But, I try to be a peaceful kind of guy, even on the internet I'm not a big chest thumper and trying to start a fight with someone a few states away, and I sure don't try to start a fight in person. Just make sure you packed you lunch if you're going to pick one with me.

I'm not sure it would be a bad thing if this became the new normal. Talk crap, get clapped. I think we'd see a fast return to manners and polite society.

I'm tired of pretending all lives matter. COVID sucks as a plague, we need Thanos to snap a few times and get us down to a more manageable number.

OK - I'm back to being a sarcastic jerk.

The wife was definitely guilty.

I'm sure you'll be surprised, but growing up in FR I've seen people fight(badly sometimes) over less...
Once in a blue moon shit happens like that in the Burg, too...

Several years ago, at the far end of my street (the shit end about 2+ miles away with the triple deckers on it) there was a report of three women chasing a man in the street, at least one of them was randomly firing a gun at him. I think it was some sort of a bizzare tryst or love triangle. [rofl]

Damn. I had to watch twice where the couple just stood there while the guy was firing at them. Those weren't warning shots. He was walking forwards and drawing down on them... They just acted like it wasn't really happening. Sad stuff.

Once in a blue moon shit happens like that in the Burg, too...

Several years ago, at the far end of my street (the shit end about 2+ miles away with the triple deckers on it) there was a report of three women chasing a man in the street, at least one of them was randomly firing a gun at him. I think it was some sort of a bizzare tryst or love triangle. [rofl]

lol I've seen just "why you looking at my girl?" turn into huge fights, very easily. Or someone dating someone else's ex turn into one...

I was hanging out with my old...large group of friends...and some kid comes up with his GF "Who's Louie?" one of my other friends stands up "why who wants to know" pretty sure he went to the hospital from the cut from the beer bottle on his head....

Nothing to do with snow and everything to do with taunting and bullying. They kept pushing him and didn't realize how far he would push back.

Me I help my neighbors whenever I can. One of them brought me two beers before I finished snow blowing the other morning. He said these are for later, I cracked one and said breakfast of champions.

Pretty much read this whole thread. Generally sensible comments and rationalizations of a crazy set of events. Curious about the group’s thoughts on just what the shooter should have done. Not justifying the shooting in any way. Seems he was bullied by a bigger guy for possibly years. How should he have handled the situation. Apparently reason wasn’t working. He asked the guy not to dump snow on his side. Doesn’t seem like an unreasonable request. He was met with a resounding F*** you. Now what?

Shut your mouth, walk away and move on. Avoid them, even if it means putting up with verbal abuse and some extra snow in your yard. If you must get your revenge do it in a way that doesn't involve having to blow your own brains out as the cops arrive.

I frankly don't understand ever getting confrontational with people you have to live that close to, though I guess rental situations (vs ownership) do certainly change the dynamic.

Yup.

Reminds me of a conversation my father had with me when I was a kid. If your going to run your mouth to someone be prepared to deal with the worst possible outcome you can imagine and be prepared to end it.
My Grandfather imparted some wisdom on me as a young man about being decent to people until they give you a reason not to be.
"If you f*ck with enough people , eventually someone's going to f*ck you back"
Grandpa was a smart guy.

Y'all that are arguing about where to put snow are forgetting about our friend Gary. He hasn't graced us in a while so for the newbies please meet Gary.

Pretty much read this whole thread. Generally sensible comments and rationalizations of a crazy set of events. Curious about the group’s thoughts on just what the shooter should have done. Not justifying the shooting in any way. Seems he was bullied by a bigger guy for possibly years. How should he have handled the situation. Apparently reason wasn’t working. He asked the guy not to dump snow on his side. Doesn’t seem like an unreasonable request. He was met with a resounding F*** you. Now what?

I completely forgot about Gary. I didn’t approach Gary level with my neighbors but it was damn close.

I’ve been thinking about it all day after I didn’t move my own snow and thank God I didn’t have to go move my neighbor snow with the backhoe..

I spent about an hour trying to get my snowblower to start and gave up.

What the guy should’ve done is bought a snowblower and waiting for them to finish and then just blow every piece of snow from his entire lot and bury their cars. That would’ve been an appropriate response..

If they wanted to approach it and yell at him he could just spray them with the snow.

Since the dawn of time, plow drivers have pushed the snow to my side of the street. My driveway gets buried with two feet of slush, while the other side is scraped clean. It sucks, but I have learned to live with it. I have seen neighbors shovel snow over their fence into the yard next to theirs.

Just keep your snow on your side of the street. Don't walk across the street with a shovel load of snow and add on the mini Mt. Everest in front of my house. What's to stop me from walking it right back over?

I'd say those pictures - combined with the fact that the video shows there's maybe 4-5 inches of snow on the ground at best - clearly show the husband and wife who got shot were a couple of douchebags.

They're shoveling the snow all the way across the street to dump on the shooter's property - when there are patches of lawn they could have dumped the snow on to - and those patches of lawn were CLOSER - than the shooter's property....... and they weren't full enough up with snow to *maybe* give the excuse that you had to dump the snow somewhere else.

In other words - they went out of their way to dump the snow on to his property AND THEN told him to phuck off.

And people wonder why - after asking them to stop doing that - and having them raise a fist to the guy and tell him to phuck off - he got pissed off enough to start taking shots at them?
I get the impression that they had just done it so long without repercussion that they just assumed it was going to be another day of white trash theater.
Thank God I live in a small neighborhood and most everyone gets along.
About 10 years ago we had a mouthy punk ass move in but he didn't stay long.
Once he understood that if he didn't cut the shit there was going to be a line forming to kick his ass , he moved.

Wait, wait; is that one of those "rhetorical questions" I hear so much about...? [rofl]

Sprawlist!

It's been done.

Dig it.

My paraphrase from memory:

An eco-terrorist group trolls Useful Idiot youts into​
invading an arcology's critical utility corridor;​
a corridor heavily placarded about being protected by​
lethal intruder control systems.​
They ignore the signage and get stacked like cordwood.​
Someone complains about the children, but is asked,​
"Could they read the danger signs?".​
"Well, yes".​

Everyone's favorite line from the novel:

"Think of it as evolution in action".​

I'm still laying claim to the idea because somehow, inexplicably, I missed reading both those books. I shall now locate copies.

I did draw somewhat on the Matrix world where everyone is in a little casket / VR world, but extended it somewhat.

I’ll lighten the mood a bit with a little case of appropriate overreaction.

Can I re-heavy it with a little case of inappropriate overreaction?

The Realist, No. 65, March 1966
The Fatal Snowball Fight on Cumberland Avenue,
by Robert Anton Wilson
  1. First Page
  2. Second Page
  3. Third Page
  4. Fourth Page
  5. Fifth Page
  6. Sixth Page
(Out of town trucker gets lost in Knoxville during a heavy snowstorm,
wanders through UT/K snowball fight,
youts yank open cab door to pelt him with bushels of snow,
he panics, and busts a cap on an undergrad).

I did draw somewhat on the Matrix world where everyone is in a little casket / VR world, but extended it somewhat.
3s3z27.jpg

You don't get to execute people who aren't threatening your life and then call it self defense just because you have the tools. We're not in grade school anymore, nor are we on the streets of chicago, lawyer up or move out if its that big of a problem.
There's the world the way we want it to be and then there is the way it is.
Spin the wheel enough times being a dickhead and your going to hit the one who you really should have not started with.
Walk up to a corner in Dorchester or Roxbury and say "Hey N*****s " to the crowd hanging out there.
You're going to die.
It doesn't matter that it's "Just words" , your dumb white ass will be found in a dumpster the next morning.
It doesn't matter that you shouldn't have been killed for "Just words " or that it's against the law , or immoral , or whatever tag you want to put on it.
It's most likely what's going to happen.
That's the reality .

You should see the videos of me walking up and down my neighbors ass...
Ya know, this could easily be taken out of context.
I was working all day and when I cracked the lap top and checked on this thread, that was the first sentence that caught my eye.

I thought " Wow, this thread really took an unexpected turn..."

I used to know this guy who was a mouthy antagonist type. Not violent just could be an a-hole when he wanted to be. And it seemed like he wanted to be more often than not. I got along with him well enough but figured him out and was able to steer clear of his doucheyness. We lost touch at some point and several years passed. I saw on the news one day that he was the victim of a workplace shooting but survived. News only gave you a small part of the story but knowing the guy I was able to fill in the blanks. He picked at a coworker he didn’t like day in and day out until the guy had enough and shot him. Plain and simple.
HR hates it when that happens.

I didn't realize snow removal was such an issue for people.

I have actually walked my snow blower down the street to clear out some of the elderly neighbors property and when my neighbor across the street had his shit the bed on him he came by and borrowed mine. I can remember one occasion when my dad and I finished clearing the driveway during a big storm and the plow came down and sent a foot of snow hurling over the end of the driveway. My dad waved him down (he was in a dump truck) and next thing we knew one of the guys from the same company contracted by the town came by in a smaller pickup and cleared it out for us.

I guess I'm lucky in the neighbor department the only two complaints I have are that the kids across the street constantly park on the road in front of my driveway (makes it tight to get in and out) which was resolved by mentioning it to the son (early 20's) when he was working on his truck and my next door neighbors trash blows all over the place occasionally.
I present to you the worst house I have ever seen for snow removal. I lived here for 8 years.
To start, the speed limit on the road is 40. Average speed is 50. It's a main road. The side street labeled 1 is a good size hill coming down, and also has a really good view of traffic coming up the main road, so no one stopped at the stop sign there (majority of traffic took a right turn). The reason I mention traffic is because it was very hard to pull out into traffic there. I needed to see the side road and main road traffic to be able to pull out. So stacking snow in my yard was limited.
The driveway itself it pitched down towards the garage, so I had to clear the entire driveway otherwise major flooding in spring.
You can see the property line I drew. You can't see from the picture, but that is a 6 ft high retaining wall. On the edge of the property on that side. After 1 good storm, I had zero places to put the snow.
The town would plow down the side road (1) and leave all of the snow from the side street in a massive pile in the break down lane where I put a 2. They would clear my street with a dump truck, grader with a wing blade on it. So all of the side street snow ended up at my place.
My only option was to stack all of my snow where I drew and x and let the plow take it down stream from me. I felt guilty about it, because it ends up in the neighbors place. Luckily she didn't have a driveway and only a walkway for the mailman. So I just cleared her walk.
Fxck snow. Lol

Passive aggressiveness. I've had bad neighbors before. Educate yourself on laws and walk the fine line with them. In this case, I would have gone out later than night and returned all of their snow. I probably would have also waited for a night with very low temps and got enough garden hoses to run water all over their vehicles, going out every hour all night long to get a nice base coat of 1" thick ice on on vehicles.

Howie and Taylor covered it on Police Blotter Fax Friday tonight.
Not because they think it has yuks, but because it is so outrageous.

On the one hand, they play a brief clip of the snappy repartee,
but bleep out all the words you can't say on the air.
So it's 85% bleeps.

On the other hand, Howie is smiling on the way into the item,
because he's still cracking up over Taylor having confessed that
he used to do donuts in a parking lot after snowfalls in his $400 car...

Passive aggressiveness. I've had bad neighbors before. Educate yourself on laws and walk the fine line with them. In this case, I would have gone out later than night and returned all of their snow. I probably would have also waited for a night with very low temps and got enough garden hoses to run water all over their vehicles, going out every hour all night long to get a nice base coat of 1" thick ice on on vehicles.
🎼 like a good neighbor @NickLeduc is there 🎼

I'm baffled by the imaginary protective forcefield people think they have around them. Whether it be blindly walking into a crosswalk because cars "should" stop, upset 90lb girls getting in grown ass mens' faces with an absurd level of physical confidence, people who took a few boxing classes and now think they can "handle themselves" on the streets......or this couple who thought they were safe as the dude approached WITH A GUN because it's illegal to shoot them and the police was on the way 🤦‍♂️

For one, people need to stop with the chest puffing "do something bitch" talk.....shut up, you're not tough. Want tough? Come spar with some of these real killers training 7 days a week in gyms you drive by on your way to Dunkin Donuts every day. Funny thing is many of those dudes are the nicest guys you'll ever run into on the street, even if you flip them off in traffic while calling them a bitch. Most are secure enough to know the waste of time that is an ego match on the street and the high risk/low reward it offers.

Also, sorry ladies, but stop stepping up to men in a confrontation like you are their physical equal.....because when the shit hits the fan with an actual violent man, you're gonna either get really hurt or force your partner to now risk their well-being fighting some loon you just riled up with your mouth. Even if you're 100% right, check your ego and walk away unless you're forced to defend yourself. You even hear this crazy tell her before he finishes her off "you should have kept your mouth shut".....yes, to some of these frustrated sociopaths, your words can push them to literal murder.

Feel bad for these people because their errors in a short snapshot of frustration should not define their lives.....but they certainly contributed to ending them.

Back
Top Bottom