• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

3 neighbors dead following snow removal dispute in PA township

Nothing to do with snow and everything to do with taunting and bullying. They kept pushing him and didn't realize how far he would push back.

Me I help my neighbors whenever I can. One of them brought me two beers before I finished snow blowing the other morning. He said these are for later, I cracked one and said breakfast of champions.
Nice, i just toss my snowblower out and said feel free to used,knowinglly that they wont call the cop when i do stupid stuff around my house lol.

I live at the end of quiet culdesac on the quiet end of town. When I first moved in I politely told my neighbors to stay off my property unless invited and don’t do anything to lower my property value and we will get along fine. Every once and a while I vacuum the driveway as well. Six years zero problems 😂

I live at the end of quiet culdesac on the quiet end of town. When I first moved in I politely told my neighbors to stay off my property unless invited and don’t do anything to lower my property value and we will get along fine. Every once and a while I vacuum the driveway as well. Six years zero problems 😂
Like with a canister or upright? [rofl]

Pretty much read this whole thread. Generally sensible comments and rationalizations of a crazy set of events. Curious about the group’s thoughts on just what the shooter should have done. Not justifying the shooting in any way. Seems he was bullied by a bigger guy for possibly years. How should he have handled the situation. Apparently reason wasn’t working. He asked the guy not to dump snow on his side. Doesn’t seem like an unreasonable request. He was met with a resounding F*** you. Now what?
Get creative. Most importantly go back inside and start brainstorming. It's not too difficult to make other people's lives miserable without them realizing it. Serve it ice cold

No shit, I was working in Belmont for a while. I used to see a lady that would vacuum her driveway every week with a shop vac. At the time I said to myself she's has to be the only effing person in this world that does that. I stand corrected. Now I know there are at least 2 . Buy a leaf blower. Blow that shit to the neighbors like everyone else does. Work smart not hard!!😂

Random story. I was plowing during last storm, and cleaning up end of driveway for a woman I work with. All of a sudden some dude came running out of house swearing at me.... so I just left the pile and drove off lol. Enjoy shoveling dude. I was carrying... so it was kind of an armed society = polite society kind of scenario

Left his wife in the middle of the street to take 2 to the head

Yeah, that's a toughie.

But the rhythmic rasping sound you hear through the latter part of the video? That's him, struggling to breathe, laboring hard. It stops when the gunner comes over and gives hubby the coup de grace.

I doubt the husband was in very good condition to go charging toward the sound of the guns. We can shake our heads that he left his wife out there, but if I'm sprawled out lung-shot in my own driveway with a sucking chest wound, watching Death come sauntering out of his house with an AR and with no defensive mindset (demonstrably), who knows what I'd be thinking?

No shit, I was working in Belmont for a while. I used to see a lady that would vacuum her driveway every week with a shop vac. At the time I said to myself she's has to be the only effing person in this world that does that. I stand corrected. Now I know there are at least 2 . Buy a leaf blower. Blow that shit to the neighbors like everyone else does. Work smart not hard!!😂
My grandmother used to do the same thing at her house in needham. She would have been out there with a broom and dust pan. Everything was perfect. I think that’s a lesson she learned during the great depression. Take care of your things.

Last time someone pissed me off when I was plowing I just took their shit and drove away. Came back later that night on my way home in my personal car and drove head first into the snow bank at the corner of their driveway completely filling it up again. I’m sure they were late for work that morning.

Random story. I was plowing during last storm, and cleaning up end of driveway for a woman I work with. All of a sudden some dude came running out of house swearing at me.... so I just left the pile and drove off lol. Enjoy shoveling dude. I was carrying... so it was kind of an armed society = polite society kind of scenario
Did he think you were the city plow or something? Lol

JFC

Video here(of the shooting)
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/rico56st/status/1357340151479848963?fbclid=IwAR2uLuOsQxYCz9xTY4qiyiyZh72402vGuvJMA873Wu2InL5t7uPW3iY5aaM

The bodies of James and Lisa Goy were found in the street

A dispute over snow disposal has left Pennsylvania residents dead.

Three Plains Township residents were left dead in what authorities are calling a murder-suicide. A neighbor shot a husband and wife on Monday during a snow storm just before 9 a.m. They had apparently been feuding over where to deposit snow.

Major Winter Storm Hammers East Coast With High Winds And Heavy Snow

According to Fox 56, the Goys were cleaning off their vehicles and throwing snow onto Jeffrey Spaide‘s, 47, property as he was shoveling. He asked them to stop but once they refused, they started arguing and cursing at each other. The neighbor who lives across the street then went inside and grabbed a gun. He apparently let off shots but the couple did not immediately flee. He then allegedly fired shots hitting the victims.

Spaide then went into his home and grabbed a handgun and shot the couple until the gun was empty. He then went back to his home and grabbed an AR-15-type rifle and shot two more rounds into each victim. About 15 to 20 shots were fired.

A neighbor who was shoveling his driveway saw the entire incident transpire and called 911. When officers arrived at the home to arrest Spaide, they heard a gunshot go off and found him dead when they entered.

Another neighbor Tyler Fisch had just moved into the neighborhood and was taken aback by what happened.

“It’s indescribable,” said Fisch.

“It’s pretty scary seeing it you know right next to you, so coming home to this. It’s an odd feeling for everyone,” he added.

The chief of the township police department Dale Binker said there was no record of the neighbors arguing in the past but there could have been a past dispute over “placement of snow in somebody’s yard.”

The Goys’ 15-year-old autistic son was in the home at the time of the shooting. He is now staying with his grandparents.

“One is in the middle of the street,” said Luzerne County First Assistant District Attorney Sam Sanguedolce in regards to the couple’s bodies. “The other is in between two parked cars. That is a husband and wife.”

The video appears to be gone. Not sure I'm upset about that :/

So I must stand by my suggestion to move all humanity into hives of manufactured double wides.

Pretty much read this whole thread. Generally sensible comments and rationalizations of a crazy set of events. Curious about the group’s thoughts on just what the shooter should have done. Not justifying the shooting in any way. Seems he was bullied by a bigger guy for possibly years. How should he have handled the situation. Apparently reason wasn’t working. He asked the guy not to dump snow on his side. Doesn’t seem like an unreasonable request. He was met with a resounding F*** you. Now what?

It’s winter time... wait until 2am and every one is a sleep, hot water on a windshield does wonders... of course, given the camera angle he would have had to sneak out of the back of his house, double around the block and approach from an angle “underneath” the camera’s field of view, but he could have got the job done.

Left his wife in the middle of the street to take 2 to the head

He was married to her, maybe he thought she deserved it? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Honestly, the ratty little house doesn't look upscale enough to warrant the entitlement attitude.

If I were the likely better off guy in the brick house I'd just buy a mondo big snow blower and return all their snow right on top of their car.

Looking at the pictures of the houses - and watching the original video again (looks like the original tweet is gone now) ...... a thought passed thru my head: the disparity in the houses these people lived in , might be an indication of what "the" problem was between these people. According to the article - the dead wife and husband had a 15 year old autistic son, and one of the follow-on articles went thru Spaide's (the shooter) history in detail. There was nothing mentioning that Spaide had a family, wife, kids - or any of that. Makes me wonder if something was going on there vis a vi the dead wife had some sort of bug up her ass because her and the kid are living in the "ratty little house" - meanwhile across the street Spaide - the SINGLE guy, is living in what looked like a pretty nice and well kept house.

You say " the ratty little house doesn't look upscale enough to warrant the entitlement attitude " , but I would argue that sanity and logic have nothing to do with it. The original video seems to show the wife actually being the more aggressive of the two , because the husband actually turns towards her while she's yelling at Spaide.

I've got to wonder if whatever shit was going down there between these people - wasn't being driven somehow by the disparity between their living situations.

I've seen more than a few cases where women start acting all weirdly aggressive - when they see some single guy just happily leading his life and apparently doing well financially - ESPECIALLY when their own situation is not so great.

This.

I had a truck totaled back in March by a guy who cut me off from the merge lane and then proceeded to brake check me until he caused a collision. When we pulled off to the side of the road, the last thing I did was get hostile or get in the guys face. The last thing I want is for something to get physical and some random person pull a gun and shoot me.

After a brief argument and assessment of the damage, I let him drive off. Then I called the cops and they got him for fleeing the scene. He lost his license for a year and I got a new truck. [smile]

Awesome.

I had a guy do something similar to that to me many years ago. Driving thru a shopping mall parking lot - and the guy just comes barreling out of one of the parking spot lanes - while I was driving down one of the travel lanes - and he T-boned my car square in the passenger side doors. The guy simply never stopped as he was exiting the lane he was in. I drove another couple hundred feet before I could pull into a spot that had a bunch of empty spaces. Driving that far was enough for me to know the car still drove straight - and since it was a college beater - I didn't really care much past that.

So Mr. IDontKnowHowToStop pulls up - and his brand new Monte Carlo is bleeding antifreeze all over the ground because the whole front end is all smashed in. He starts screaming at me that it was my fault because I was "going too fast". I looked at him and said " look dude, you t-boned me, I saw you coming out of the corner of my eye but before I could react you had already smashed into me - you never even stopped at the end of the lane - I'm actually willing to just drive away right now - this car is a piece of crap already - and it still drives straight , so past that I don't really care".

He got even more pissed off and started telling me again it was my fault - wanted insurance papers - the whole thing. I told him again " look this is your fault - and I'll exchange papers but all that's going to happen here is the insurance company is going to tell you what I'm telling you know - AND they're going to charge you a surcharge for it".

So we exchange papers - and he drives off - with the cooling fan making all sorts of metallic noises.

Turns out he slammed the side of my car so hard - neither of the passenger side doors would open any more. Next inspection time I had to pop rivet sheet metal right over the door openings so it would pass inspection - because of the rust.

A few months later - I got a check from HIS insurance company for $600 - which was $100 more than I paid for the car. About a month after getting the check - a friend and I were driving to school and stopped at a local convenience store. We come back out and get back into my now beat up car - and after we get in he says " what's up with that guy next to us - he's looking at you like he wants to kill you" . I hadn't even noticed the guy - so I looked over - and it was the same guy who had t-boned my car. His car was fixed up - and I had already gotten the check ....... so my prediction of " the insurance company is going to tell you the same thing I'm telling you right now" - had already come true, and maybe he had already gotten the surcharge notice.

Either way - I could tell just by looking at the guy he was pissed. At least this time he kept his mouth shut.

The problem with most people in my experience - is that they don't know how to phuck with other people - outside of just confronting them.

The other problem is that I think most people just want the crazy people to just go away. They're really not looking to invest huge amounts of time and energy engaging in some sort of guerilla campaign to "take out" the lunatic who is making their life miserable. They keep hoping the other person will come to their senses or whatever - and finally the whole thing explodes when the person finally can't take it any more because the lunatic has pushed them too far.

New York Post has a video posted that shows some more of what happened just prior to the shooting, maybe I'm biased - but it looks like the husband and wife team were out in the street harassing the guy who did the shooting - and he's walking back to his house with a shovel.

so, you were STEALING HIS snow?

Many times you can settle disputes, even with irrational people, without raising the temperature of the situation. No one is saying to become a doormat whose afraid of their own shadow or a monk....but you sure as hell don't kill your neighbors before blowing your brains out because they puffed their chests and said some mean words 😂

It took me a bit to realize this but looking back on how I handled things in the past, I've always come out with better results being the calmest one in the room. Contrast that to a time when my brother and I were driving through a nearby suburb as our car got pelted with an iceball. Not a huge deal given it wasn't the nicest car and didn't cause any significant damage but the kids just picked the wrong day at the wrong time for both of us.

We didn't even think twice before we started plowing the Jeep through the neighborhood looking for them. Turns out during our little neighborhood recon that several of the neighbors shoveling outside were not shy to express to us how much they hate those same troublemakers, enough to want to see us catch them.....I dunno what they were hoping for, that we were crazy enough to actually hurt them? Anyway, so the neighbors stake out on the side streets ready to warn us when they see them while we drive up and down the perpendicular street. We're talking full middle class suburb warfare over here.

Lets just say we scared the poor kids half to death when we caught them, including us scaling the Jeep over those parking spot blocks and driving halfway across a middle school baseball field after them. As high schoolers will do, they started out with the "what are you gonna do about it??" when we finally backed them into a corner, seeing that we weren't much older than them....well, it didn't take long till they realized they were physically outmatched by the two crazy short dudes and they shit their pants to the point of tears and apologies. It felt good at the time to "teach them a lesson".....but now I'm embarrassed I stooped that low (especially after a cop showed up and was like wtf guys, you couldn't just let it go??). Luckily no one got hurt or in trouble but we could have easily ended on the wrong side of a Glock if one of the parents was watching a f***in big ass Jeep chasing their kids across a snow covered baseball field lol.

It's just not worth it, there are other ways to deal with a little dent from some punk ass kids.....or a snow shoveling dispute. The guy could have recorded them and filed a complaint with the town. I would also say upper decker, bang the wife, keys on roof.....but she didn't seem like a valid candidate (God rest her soul 🙏).

My answer is the Human Cube.

Picture a manufactured module (would actually come in several sizes to accommodate larger or smaller families). It would internally be sorta like a double wide, except the windows would be LCD panels showing images of the outdoors. At both ends are doors opening into a built in section of hallway. Sprinkle in an occasional common module. Now stack them like Lego's with the utilities all interlocking as you stack them. Allow 50'x50' (much larger than that double wide) and you can fit 10k units per square mile. Stack them 10 layers deep and you have 100k units per square mile. There are around 124 million families in the US, so we'll need to cover around 1240 or so square miles. That "sounds" like a lot, but it's only 35 miles on a side. That's barely a ranch out west.

Ok, it would wind up a bit larger because that just the residential. We'd need some recreation space, commercial space, etc and there would need to be a way to extract failing units for replacement, etc. But basically, the entire population of the United States "could" easily fit into a space smaller than Rhode Island.

And there'd be no snow to shovel, rain to flood the basement, etc.

High Density farms nearby would grow/raise the food - it wouldn't even need to be that soylent stuff.

Of course, Europe would need one of their own. Asia and India would probably need several each... But pretty soon the entire world would be living within these self contained communities.

I think I've made my point. Modern problems. Modern solutions.

You're welcome. I'll be solving prison overpopulation next week. (spoiler, it'll be a variation on these modules, but without doors...)
Sooooo, Peachtrees? OOoooh, I wanna be a Judge.

View: https://youtu.be/hWB6O7xdH4g?t=13

Last time someone pissed me off when I was plowing I just took their shit and drove away. Came back later that night on my way home in my personal car and drove head first into the snow bank at the corner of their driveway completely filling it up again. I’m sure they were late for work that morning.
What a mature response :rolleyes:

When I was a kid I was small weak and afraid of my own shadow. My parents worked 24/7 and I had no siblings. I got picked on mercilessly. It wasn't until I got bigger and learned to fight back did it stop but I never forgot the sense of hopelessness and despair it caused me at the time. Lucky for me I was more or less able to turn a negative into a positive but only after I was able to turn that corner. I'm a better person now because of it. Some people never get to that crossroad in life and end up like cornered animals. They have run out of options. They want it to stop but don't know how. I've seen it first hand. I've seen people lose it, flip the switch and go blank. The guy who shot his neighbors seems exactly like that type. To make matters worse it happened at his home. The guys castle and place he/we go to escape a bad day and recharge. End of the line for him probably. Probably felt like there was no escape. The shit we all deal with out in the street is bad enough. Imagine having to drag it home with you. Now there is always a better/smarter way to handle situations but for some, like that guy, that type of clarity probably was lost long ago. I don't condone what the guy did. It's a shitty all around situation for everyone involved that I wish never happened. But knowing the little we do about this I'm still finding it hard to get up much sympathy for the two neighbors.

Also this is def not even close to the top of the disturbing list. Go watch some ISIS videos if you want to see disturbing.

That Daniel Pearl video will never be out of my head...
When you serve, unfortunately you see some shit. Most of it you just move on, but one time this guy showed up at the gate with his wife and kid in tow, saying he needed to go to America. They told him to beat it, so he grabbed his kid, held a gun to his head and said if we didn't let him in, he would shoot his kid. Kid was screaming, wife was screaming, we were yelling drop the gun. BANG. Then he put the gun to his own temple. BANG.
First I was shocked, then I was angry and after a while I felt pity. It was a tough lesson about how many in the world put such a low value on life.

Back
Top Bottom