• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

22LR

ANYONE OWN OR HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHOOT A SIG MISQUITO 22 ?..CURIOUS OF ANY AND ALL OPINIONS OF THE GUN .PLAN TO USE IT FOR TEACHING AND SOME FUN SHOOTING CHEAP AMMO .

THANKS

The newer Mosquitos are great.

Also, can you not use all caps when you post? It makes it look like you're either yelling, or that you've had a computer for five minutes. It really doesn't help people notice you.

Personally, I would go for the P226 and get the conversion kit. It takes about 5 minutes max to swap it out each time, but gives the same feel and weight of the full size gun. Plus, the conversion is cheaper than buying two separate guns.

I own a mosquito and think it is a great little gun. It has the looks and ergonomics of a full size sig and functions great. I usually use Mini-mags, but have had no increase in FTF/FTE with cheaper ammo like federal bulk packs. If you are looking for a dedicated .22 pistol I would definitely recommend it, if you are looking for something you are going to use only on occasion maybe a conversion kit would be the way to go. Hope this helped.

I have a mosquito too. Great gun and tons of fun to shoot. I have had only a few FTFs over hundreds of rounds of mini mags, and usually when clean, go figure.

Only other ammo I have had a chance to try so far is Remington thunderbolts. Despite being high velocity they FTEd a ton.

I have a few Mosquitoes. No issues to report other than the occasional FTF using CCI Mini-Mags (about 1:100 to 1:150). The only con is that extra magazines are unbelievably expensive. Plus the new ones aren't metal.

I thought about the conversion kit, but I really don't like tinkering with my SD/HD firearms. Moreover, the Mosquito is pretty close to a P226 in terms of feel and control layout.

BTW, rumor has it that after a few thousand CCI Mini-Mags you'll be able to run the Federal bulk pack stuff through them with the same results. I haven't experienced it yet, but the 100 count of CCI is north of $7 in some places. [shocked]

Another good .22LR training firearm is a Ruger MK. If you've got the dough and want a revolver in your line-up, consider a S&W Model 63. I've been jonsing for a S&W .22LR revolver, but they're too damn pricey!

I own a Mosquito. I personally think the trigger sucks. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a chance I could get a trigger job done on this gun? Outside of that I have very little FTF/FTE with Federal Value Pack rounds. +1 on the great ergonomics.

I have a few Mosquitoes. No issues to report other than the occasional FTF using CCI Mini-Mags (about 1:100 to 1:150). The only con is that extra magazines are unbelievably expensive. Plus the new ones aren't metal.

I thought about the conversion kit, but I really don't like tinkering with my SD/HD firearms. Moreover, the Mosquito is pretty close to a P226 in terms of feel and control layout.

BTW, rumor has it that after a few thousand CCI Mini-Mags you'll be able to run the Federal bulk pack stuff through them with the same results. I haven't experienced it yet, but the 100 count of CCI is north of $7 in some places. [shocked]

Another good .22LR training firearm is a Ruger MK. If you've got the dough and want a revolver in your line-up, consider a S&W Model 63. I've been jonsing for a S&W .22LR revolver, but they're too damn pricey!

Extra mags are expensive. It may have the same control layout as a 226 but the size and fell are very different to me. Mine only works with mini mags. I have over 5k rounds down it and have not used it since I got a buckmark.

I own a Mosquito. I personally think the trigger sucks. Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a chance I could get a trigger job done on this gun? Outside of that I have very little FTF/FTE with Federal Value Pack rounds. +1 on the great ergonomics.
Yes you can do trigger jobs on them look here. I did one and it is much better now. Look here.

Thanks for all the feedback .Looks like a fun gun and being close to full size will give a new shooter the feel .P226 is in the future. ....Look no caps and does reading lower case not hurt your ears ?....lol....kills me when it's called yelling ....and it a computer that controls us ?...laugh, you have to see the humor in it

A friend of mine has one. I think it is garbage compared to a MkIII or a Buckmark. It was unreliable, inaccurate and felt cheap compared to the Ruger or Browning.

If you want something that resembles a fighting gun, you are better off with a conversion for whatever your favorite fighting gun is.

just my .02

Re: Mosquitoes

Worst pistol Sig makes. Sorry everyone but since Sig now offers 22 LR dedicated uppers on there P220, P226, and P229. Why bother with a little brother when you can own the big brother and in less than a minute switch between a real cailber and a practice round. Plus you are always using the same trigger. I personally own a 22 LR for my P229 in 40 S&W and it's awesome. $300 bucks off the internet and another $50 for a SS guide rod, mag follower so last round fired holds the slide open. Super accurate even with Wally World ammo. The key though is just enough oil so you can see your finger print.

Worst pistol Sig makes. Sorry everyone but since Sig now offers 22 LR dedicated uppers on there P220, P226, and P229. Why bother with a little brother when you can own the big brother and in less than a minute switch between a real cailber and a practice round. Plus you are always using the same trigger. I personally own a 22 LR for my P229 in 40 S&W and it's awesome. $300 bucks off the internet and another $50 for a SS guide rod, mag follower so last round fired holds the slide open. Super accurate even with Wally World ammo. The key though is just enough oil so you can see your finger print.

Is it the feed or accruacy that you don't like ? Is the switch over that simple with the conversion kit ?

Golly, I wish Ruger and other manufacturers would do this.

I own a Mosquito. I personally think the trigger sucks.
If you look up the definition of "sucks", it refers specificaly to the Sig Mosquito trigger.[shocked]
Does anyone else have this issue?
The trigger is bad by design. It will get a bit better with continued use and proper lube.
Is there a chance I could get a trigger job done on this gun?
Yes. I think that Greg Derr might be able to fix it up for you.
Outside of that I have very little FTF/FTE with Federal Value Pack rounds. +1 on the great ergonomics.

The Skeeter is a cute little gun and quite accurate, once you have mastered the trigger pull issue.
Mine got very reliable after a thousand rounds and runs well, even with the Federal 550 bulk pack ammo, as long as it is just reasonably clean.

Jack

Report is now in ON MY p229 22LR conversion kit

the first 50 rounds of blazer ammo I had 2 duds and three jams

second time out I shot 100 rnds of CCI Mini Mags. Had one jam and sights had me shooting way high..I adjusted them as good as I could at the tnme

Took her out today It was windy and I put clays out at 25 feet. With sight adjusted I was quite impressed. No jams with 100 rounds of mini mag but one dud, I shot a bit to the left but was pretty much on target.
I was very happy with how smoothly this gun operated. The switch from .40 to .22 takes less then 2 minutes and is so easy. Cleaning is just as easy.
If you have a sig get the conversion

Back
Top Bottom