2259 IS GOING STRONG

It got extended to July 23rd (Per GOAL)

Regrettably, that is bad info!

I just got off the phone with Rep. Peterson's aide. H.2259 is Dead for this session! [thinking]

Hopefully it will get re-filed for the next session in January and maybe a different makeup in the statehouse won't be so easily influenced by MCOPA?

No offense to anyone here, but is there some way to get official confirmation on this? We had an aide state that H4102 was passed a day early as well, and GOAL seems to have printed an extension ...

No offense to anyone here, but is there some way to get official confirmation on this? We had an aide state that H4102 was passed a day early as well, and GOAL seems to have printed an extension ...

Just leave the brains on Beacon Hill alone. They know what's best for us. Plebeians like us could never understand anyway.

(That was sarcasm by the way....[rolleyes])

Damnit. What was the exact disposition? Placed in a study order?

It was bottled up in the Jt. Comm. on Public Safety, given an extension until June 30, 2010. Date passed with no action, therefore it dies.

From what I was told, any bills still in the committee that held the public hearing on it, but not moved out by June 30th are dead.

Hopefully the same will happen to H4102 but I"m not that optimistic.

Neither was George's aide!!! [thinking]

She said that the Repubs have NOT been told when 4102 will rear it's ugly head on the floor. But according to Jeff Perry, this is the game that the current administration plays . . . no advance notice to the opposition so they can't rally the forces to defeat it.

Yup, call the CHAIRMEN of the Public Safety Committee and insist on speaking only with them. They hold all the power on bills in committee.

LenS is correct. Committees have a deadline to hold a public hearing and act on any bill that was referred to them upon its initial filing. If the committee fails to act on the bill before the deadline there is a default "adverse report" on the bill. An adverse report is a recommendation that a bill ought not to pass. TECHNICALLY an adverse report can be overturned but that is extremely unlikely for any bill that is considered controversial.

If this info is correct, and it probably is, it is a sad day. It will force more and more litigation to change the way guns are controlled here. 2259 was not perfect but it would have been a large step in the right direction.

Nothing's done yet, guys. 4102 isn't law, and neither is 2259. We fight another day, this timwe with an election cycle and a favorable SCOTUS decision behind us, along with the expectation that voters have a short memory...

I was under the impression that it was extended to July 23. http://www.goal.org/legislativechart.html

Try to confirm that on a MA Gov website. I did, no luck. I called Rep. Peterson's office (sponsor of H 2259) and his aide found no extension beyond June 30th either. It's our understanding that if the original committee fails to act by the deadline for such action (June 30th), the bill dies.

What I just posted (before seeing this thread) over at Thread: Macdonald negate "sporting purposes"?:

Can anybody answer the question from post 58?

At this point, I really think we need to consider plan B. Plan B being to get all the other (non-2259) bills referring to gun law changes, and pepper/chemical law changes, released to the floor for a vote. That way, at least we will have some much needed smaller corrections happening while we are waiting for the larger corrections to happen. Some may say that is a waste of time when we should be dedicating our efforts to the larger cause. I think it is being pragmatic based on the time wasters in the legislature we are dealing with. They can only understand the smaller steps. Just chip away at fixing some small stuff first, and repealing the bad things. Then get into clarifications and definitions (table of definitions, anyone?). After that, take what is left, and apply the major reforms to THAT. That way, in the meantime, we all benefit more quickly, and the pea brains on Beacon Hill can comprehend things better. We are missing many opportunities here, and plenty of good law fixes could fall by the wayside because of all eggs in one basket.

This does not even take into account the verdict that went down on Monday!

I also just posted in the 4102 thread that if this is true, the only thing we have left is to defeat 4102.

I also just posted in the 4102 thread that if this is true, the only thing we have left is to defeat 4102.

Perhaps it's all about damage control at this point. If we can't kill it outright then maybe our proponents can work on amending some of the more egregious features of the bill. Or, God forbid, incorporate some of the favorable language from 2259.

Last edited:
I guess we better start a fund to help Atty.Cohen sue these bastards. I`ll gladly be the first to contribute.

This.

Seriously at what point do we stop trying to use a clearly broken legislative process and start using the court system? I often feel that despite GOAL's excellent efforts and our constant writing/calling, we don't make any progress.

I would gladly donate to a legal fund. I'm tired of watching most of the rest of the country liberalize their gun laws while MA aspires to get more restrictive. I don't have the option of moving to another state. I want to fix this one.

Back
Top Bottom