1903A3 striker

Cluster F

USMC Veteran
NES Member
b2b56e02.jpg

Could be the problem this puppy wouldn't fire.

New rifle, or sudden failure at the range?

Looks demilled/snipped. To clean a cut to have failed, as did a Gew98 of mine a couple of years black.

MS

Well I bought and hadn't had a chance to fire it till the other day and click wouldn't fire so trouble shot the problem to find this. Now I'm perinoid of what else is wrong haha now I think my eyes are playing tricks on me thinking the rear sight is canted. But think its in my head.

Can we see some pics of the receiver with the wood removed? A lot of these were demilled drill rifles that were vicariously brought back to life with a grinder and welder. A clipped striker was one of the characteristics of the drill rifle.

When I bought the rifle I was just pumped to get an 03A3. I just checked the overall condition and bore. First problem I have was I got home and the bolt would not close on a round. I ended up taking it back to the shop and the guy told me it was a new barrel but short chambered so he reamed it for me. Then I finally got around to shooting it and now this. So I have been having crap luck.
c0bba5ee.jpg

4d6fc5e9.jpg

b2cfe3fe.jpg

1155c60d.jpg

5c4e9e0d.jpg

5652d51d.jpg

Most assuredly a drill rifle. The welding around the cut-off is evidence of it once being demilled.

The chamber may once have had a plug with spot welds. Many were just poked out. Might have been the reason the chamber needed reaming to allow a round to seat.

Last edited:
yep drill rifle for sure... I dont see any welds around where barrel meets reciever. if not, may have been a "good" demil that involved only welding the bolt, and cutoff from being removed, leaving the barrel/receiver alone. if thats the case, get a new striker, and have fun. if barrel was welded to reciever, Id be hesitant to shoot it

Last edited:
Kind of pissed I bought this from a reputable shop and been having bad luck with it.

Was the gun represented as anything other than a revived drill rifle? My thoughts: If it wasn't disclosed, it would be returned with a kind (not pissed!) request for a full refund.

I agree with Maninblue that the barrel/receiver do not appear to be welded through, drilled or hack-sawed like some. But I can almost guarantee that a plug was knocked out of the chamber, and it was not a "short chambered" barrel.

It was never advertised as such. Just on a rack with other milsurps. I am going to email the owner and see what's up. I am pretty pissed a out this now.

It depends on how much you paid for it. With out knowing that I would be hesitant in saying whether or not you should demand a refund. I bought an 03 once that I thought was worth more than I paid because the stock had finger grooves. After some research, it was determined that finger grooves were added onto an A3 stock to look like a WWI stock. But, it was still worth what I paid for it as it was. So, in the end I was happy with it.

If you paid $700 for this rifle, then I would be heading back to the store demanding a full refund. If you paid $300 for it, then you got what you paid for. For $300 it is a nice wall hanger and maybe it is shootable.

In that case I would not email the FFL. I would show up in person, put the rifle on the counter and politely explain to the owner that he had mistakenly sold you a DP rifle. Show him everything that determines it is a DP, including the plugs that were removed from the chamber. Then state that you are sure he did not mean to sell a customer a rifle that was deemed unsafe to fire and you would be happy to get a refund.

I would really focus the request on the refund based on the fact that it is a safety issue first and a rip off second. Good luck and report back how it goes.

More than likely the shop owner didn't know it was a re-mill/de-mill. He still owes you a refund, though.

A lot of people buy barrels for these rifles and I think they have an AR mentality when they do it not realizing that new 03 barrels have to be headspaced and finished reamed. I don't collect them anymore but when I first started to I got porked on a Smith Corona so I feel yout pain. Good luck I hope you get your money back.

Back
Top Bottom