• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for 1903A3 Info

I don't know much about M1903 rifles and I'd like to remedy that. Mostly looking for info about the M1903A3 rifles and the M1903A4s.

I have a lot of questions, so if someone has some links, that'd help. Mostly looking for stuff to look for when buying, like serial number ID, manufacturers, how to spot issues, maintenance, etc. Also, what was the reason for switching from the straight stock on the M1903 to the pistol grip stock on the A1 and later models? When did the switch in stocks happen?

I don't know much about M1903 rifles and I'd like to remedy that. Mostly looking for info about the M1903A3 rifles and the M1903A4s.

I have a lot of questions, so if someone has some links, that'd help. Mostly looking for stuff to look for when buying, like serial number ID, manufacturers, how to spot issues, maintenance, etc. Also, what was the reason for switching from the straight stock on the M1903 to the pistol grip stock on the A1 and later models? When did the switch in stocks happen?

Well you're looking for a LOT of info. First off there's a big difference between 1903 and 1903a3/a4 rifles. The A4 is just the sniper version of the A3 but since its a rather rare beast, there is a lot of forgery in those. Its also going to run you at least 4x what an A3 will cost. So I'd say decide first on which you really want because there's a metric short ton of stuff to learn about A4s before you buy one if you don't want to get taken.

Manufacturers are easy though, Remington and Smith Corona are the only two who made actual 03A3 rifles. There are other brands like National Ordinance that you want to stay FAR AWAY from. Remington is the ONLY one who made 03A4 rifles.

The best book on them is by Brophy and called 'The Springfield 1903 Rifles'. Poyer's book is ok but has many errors and terms that he invented that aren't used by collectors.

Well you're looking for a LOT of info. First off there's a big difference between 1903 and 1903a3/a4 rifles. The A4 is just the sniper version of the A3 but since its a rather rare beast, there is a lot of forgery in those. Its also going to run you at least 4x what an A3 will cost. So I'd say decide first on which you really want because there's a metric short ton of stuff to learn about A4s before you buy one if you don't want to get taken.

Manufacturers are easy though, Remington and Smith Corona are the only two who made actual 03A3 rifles. There are other brands like National Ordinance that you want to stay FAR AWAY from. Remington is the ONLY one who made 03A4 rifles.

The best book on them is by Brophy and called 'The Springfield 1903 Rifles'. Poyer's book is ok but has many errors and terms that he invented that aren't used by collectors.

I'd like to get a 1903 with a straight stock that's above the 800,000 Springfield or 200,000 Rock Island serial number mark since I believe that's the shoot/no shoot point stated by the NRA. I just prefer the looks of a straight stock on rifles.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/5/11/a-look-back-at-the-1903-springfield/

The 03A1 was adopted in 1929 and the designation was assigned to those with the pistol grip stocks, aka C stocks. They decided to use up the straight grip stocks on service rifles before fitting them with the new C stocks so most C stocks were used on National Match rifles from 1929-1940. Actual 1903A1 service rifles are rare. (I summarized this from Brophy's book). Arsenal rebuilds of service rifles sometimes used C stocks. A4s have been seen with both C stocks and scant grip stocks.

I'd like to get a 1903 with a straight stock that's above the 800,000 Springfield or 200,000 Rock Island serial number mark since I believe that's the shoot/no shoot point stated by the NRA. I just prefer the looks of a straight stock on rifles.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/5/11/a-look-back-at-the-1903-springfield/

Yeah I agree that I think the straight grip 03 with the grasping grooves is a great looking rifle. The serial number range you want to be concerned with is above 800,000 for Springfield and above 286,500 for Rock Island

The 03A1 was adopted in 1929 and the designation was assigned to those with the pistol grip stocks, aka C stocks. They decided to use up the straight grip stocks on service rifles before fitting them with the new C stocks so most C stocks were used on National Match rifles from 1929-1940. Actual 1903A1 service rifles are rare. (I summarized this from Brophy's book). Arsenal rebuilds of service rifles sometimes used C stocks. A4s have been seen with both C stocks and scant grip stocks.

Yeah I agree that I think the straight grip 03 with the grasping grooves is a great looking rifle. The serial number range you want to be concerned with is above 800,000 for Springfield and above 286,500 for Rock Island

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom