• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This is for the mosin folks…..

mac1911

NES Member
Any Idea what this mark is. On the receiver just behind the barrel .
Receiver and barrel share same barrel and tang date so I assume barrel and receiver are a match , nothing else is unfortunately

Attachments

• 95DC7FAF-A1AE-4DD2-B69C-BAED3BCA841A.jpeg
    95DC7FAF-A1AE-4DD2-B69C-BAED3BCA841A.jpeg
    951.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 3BBFABD5-D8A4-4723-B9EC-DE7B88A1AA8D.png
    3BBFABD5-D8A4-4723-B9EC-DE7B88A1AA8D.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • F2016956-676E-4CBE-8030-D64C30D01DC3.jpeg
    F2016956-676E-4CBE-8030-D64C30D01DC3.jpeg
    703 KB · Views: 8
Looks like an 1896 Tula. The receiver marking is a Russian Imperial Eagle proof mark with a Cyrillic 'PK' which I believe is for 'proof commission'. I assume there's a hammer and a '96' on the tang? If so it's pretty safe to say the barrel and receiver are 'matching'.

Only data point is add is the over and under for that marks. I have seen them on an 1895 from Tula. But NOT an 1897. Though I have seen some early Hex 1900s from Tula.

There is a theory I read about somewhere which is now lost to the sands of time that one of those two marks was related to the 1 million (and maybe a 10 million stealth order) from US through Remington for some of those.

We were told once in a gun shop in the 90s that lack of a PK mark meant that the rifle was here in the states illegally. Another gunsmith indicated that the first 1million rifles imported and then presumably stashed for half a century here did NOT have that mark since they were not proofed for use in Russia (as they were on the export shipping side. )

I have an M1891/30 which was made in 1894 which lacks the PK armory delivered stamp but came from Tula. It was due to its history alone that batch import in the early years.

Curious. What is your barrel length? Does it have a cleaning rod which matches the barrel end length or extends?

That first batch batch did not always have cleaning rods, and Remington adapted some other rifle rod to match.

Only data point is add is the over and under for that marks. I have seen them on an 1895 from Tula. But NOT an 1897. Though I have seen some early Hex 1900s from Tula.

There is a theory I read about somewhere which is now lost to the sands of time that one of those two marks was related to the 1 million (and maybe a 10 million stealth order) from US through Remington for some of those.

We were told once in a gun shop in the 90s that lack of a PK mark meant that the rifle was here in the states illegally. Another gunsmith indicated that the first 1million rifles imported and then presumably stashed for half a century here did NOT have that mark since they were not proofed for use in Russia (as they were on the export shipping side. )

I have an M1891/30 which was made in 1894 which lacks the PK armory delivered stamp but came from Tula. It was due to its history alone that batch import in the early years.

Curious. What is your barrel length? Does it have a cleaning rod which matches the barrel end length or extends?

That first batch batch did not always have cleaning rods, and Remington adapted some other rifle rod to match.
Its the long barrel with the old style ladder sights in shiaheenies or some shit. Its a bubbaphukked specimen with plastic hogue stock.
Was just cleaning up the pig pit and happen to look at that mark. I dont recall seeing that on my 91/30s
It goes bang but bore looks rough .

Here if you must

Back
Top Bottom