My Remington 1903A3!

so more like 12" correction.......looking forward to range report

I hope it arrives by Saturday before I go to the range. I'm actually taking my neighbor and his brother, both of which grew up in South Dakota and he currently has a 30-40 krag. He doesn't have a LTC yet but I've been trying to tell him to get one just to keep himself out of any possible trouble in this state. Anyway, he did some welding work for me so I bought him some 30-40 ammo and told him I'd take him to the range.

Never seen or shot a 30-40 krag so I'm curious as to what he has. Says it's been in his family for many years.

you're finally going to use that ammo? Awesome. Its a great shooter, less kick than the '06 and the bolt operates very smoothly. Both of mine are very accurate as well.

you're finally going to use that ammo? Awesome. Its a great shooter, less kick than the '06 and the bolt operates very smoothly. Both of mine are very accurate as well.

Haha I know. I bought that ammo over a year ago and now he's finally able to get to the range with me after multiple invites.

Can't wait to try his rifle. Seems like a really cool design and nice rifle to own. I just can't get into another caliber to reload lol.

Sight blade came in today! Very well made but it was kinda of a pain to get it in. I still don't think it's in all the way but it's as far as I could get it in using a rubber mallet...

Probably good enough? It's all the way in on the muzzle side but the other side still has some room to go. I also don't think it needs the pin installed given how snug it is. The hole is almost completely aligned but not 100%. Hitting the range this afternoon at some point.

Hopefully I didn't damage anything by whacking it with a mallet. Had a Tek mat underneath the barrel so it wouldn't get scratched...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1465054991.839934.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1465054999.143157.jpg

Last edited:
Sight blade came in today! Very well made but it was kinda of a pain to get it in. I still don't think it's in all the way but it's as far as I could get it in using a rubber mallet...

Probably good enough? It's all the way in on the muzzle side but the other side still has some room to go. I also don't think it needs the pin installed given how snug it is. The hole is almost completely aligned but not 100%. Hitting the range this afternoon at some point.

Hopefully I didn't damage anything by whacking it with a mallet. Had a Tek mat underneath the barrel so it wouldn't get scratched...

View attachment 168907View attachment 168908

I think more of the problem is that battle worn front sight base. Wouldnt be surprised if there is some gunk hard packed down in the sight channel

I think more of the problem is that battle worn front sight base. Wouldnt be surprised if there is some gunk hard packed down in the sight channel

Crap I didn't even think to look in it first...I was so eager to get it installed lol. Good call. It will be tough to remove I think...

Brass punch could probably seat it the rest of the way without too much effort. I would install the pin at that point because it will probably creep without it. May not be perceptible at first but I think it will.

Well the new sight blade worked well. Seems to be right on at 120 yards. Just had to aim right around the center using PPU 150 gr ammo. Didn't have a chance to shoot my reloads. My neighbor and his nephew were having so much fun with the 30-40 and my AR. Hadn't shot a gun since they use to live in N Dakota 15+ years ago. They had so much fun. Great day at the range.

- - - Updated - - -

Brass punch could probably seat it the rest of the way without too much effort. I would install the pin at that point because it will probably creep without it. May not be perceptible at first but I think it will.

I thought of that but was paranoid about ruining the metal/finish. But I'll give it a shot.

Bill just got back to me and basically had the same comments as mac:

Andrew, Your base looks rough, it may be a bit tight near the lower part and that may be why the blade is tough to go all the way in. You may have to take a fine file to take the lower part of the blade down in thickness just a shade to fit better. At which point the pin should fit. Just looks as though the base is a bit beat up and the lower part may have been dented as the marks can be seen in your photo of some missed blows with a hammer which may have caused the damage. You would not have trouble finding a good base as there are plenty of good parts out there. Regards, Bill

What no pics of the fun day.
You need to lay down 20 rounds into a SR1 target and see what you and that rifle can do.

What no pics of the fun day.
You need to lay down 20 rounds into a SR1 target and see what you and that rifle can do.

I know I know. I was so busy shooting and chatting with guys at the club I totally forgot to take some photos. Next time!

Forgot to mention that I took the A3 with the new A height blade out on Friday after work. I adjusted the windage a couple clicks and damn is was dead on! Almost impossible to miss my 8" steel plate at 120 yards. Very pleased with the new sight and the rifle.

Forgot to mention that I took the A3 with the new A height blade out on Friday after work. I adjusted the windage a couple clicks and damn is was dead on! Almost impossible to miss my 8" steel plate at 120 yards. Very pleased with the new sight and the rifle.
come on put 10 rounds on paper I want to see a group.......I don't get out much and I can only play with my target software with someones new target picktures.. yes im lame.
Heres a kick in the ass...... Wife: "Honey what do you want for fathers day?" Me: "I want to go to the range" Wife: "no what do you want for the grill, my mother and father are coming over thought we have a cook out"
Smashes my dreams constantly..... also been asking for a Henry 22lr lever action for 10 plus years.

come on put 10 rounds on paper I want to see a group.......I don't get out much and I can only play with my target software with someones new target picktures.. yes im lame.
Heres a kick in the ass...... Wife: "Honey what do you want for fathers day?" Me: "I want to go to the range" Wife: "no what do you want for the grill, my mother and father are coming over thought we have a cook out"
Smashes my dreams constantly..... also been asking for a Henry 22lr lever action for 10 plus years.

Haha. Sorry mac! I keep forgetting to bring paper! Next time I will.

also been asking for a Henry 22lr lever action for 10 plus years.

get a vintage Marlin 39A instead, much better 22 lever gun. The Henry is great looking and smooth action but not nearly as nice a shooter as the 39A which seems to be perfectly balanced and proportioned.

Had a cookout today and my grandparents came over so I was finally able to show my grandfather the new A3. He was so excited to hold it and put it up to his shoulder and look down the sights. He told me he hasn't shot or held one since high school (he'll be 86 next week) which was in the late 40s. Said it brings back a lot of memories. Also said he forgot how heavy they are lol.

He asked how much I paid and he cringed and put his fingers in his ears haha. Said you could have got these for probably $40 in the 50s.

Now I just need to get him to the range soon...

Had a cookout today and my grandparents came over so I was finally able to show my grandfather the new A3. He was so excited to hold it and put it up to his shoulder and look down the sights. He told me he hasn't shot or held one since high school (he'll be 86 next week) which was in the late 40s. Said it brings back a lot of memories. Also said he forgot how heavy they are lol.

He asked how much I paid and he cringed and put his fingers in his ears haha. Said you could have got these for probably $40 in the 50s.

Now I just need to get him to the range soon...

Yeah 40$ after the custom stock and sportorize ! I remeber seeing them up Kittery in a oak bucket for cheap money as a kid...mid eighties. I always told my dad I wanted one (actually a 03) be would always say ....what do you want with worn out military junk. Ahh if we only knew.
I remember when my dad handed my great uncle (only living vet in our family at the time
) a m1 carbine. I was 13 ....his words. "Has the enimey hit the beaches? " my dad chuckles and says "no" Uncle "well when They do you bring me a rifle until then get it the **** away from me". My uncle then says to me "learn how to shoot and pray you never have to.

get a vintage Marlin 39A instead, much better 22 lever gun. The Henry is great looking and smooth action but not nearly as nice a shooter as the 39A which seems to be perfectly balanced and proportioned.

I can get what ever "I" want. My wife asks me all the time what do I want for Xmas, Bday, Fday ect ect. Why I have no idea seldom do I get what I want especially gun stuff.
She most likely wouldn't even give me a handful of spent 22lr!

Well I brought the A3 to the range earlier this afternoon. Went through a mix of handloads and PPU. The reloads were 44.5 gr of Varget under a Nosler 168 gr bullet - these are older reloads as I've since settled on 46 gr of IMR-4064 as my Garand load and now A3 load.

I still need to practice more. The trigger is decent but I can tell I'm pulling shots - I tried using the joint of my finger rather than the pad which seemed to help a bit.

Part of the problem is I can't cycle the bolt without bringing the gun down from my shoulder. So when I get it back up to my shoulder I'm kinda guessing where I held it before? I was also using a sling.

Anyway enough excuses lol, this 8" target is PPU (sandbag rest @100 yards):
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1466900761.804562.jpg

8" target with reloads (sandbag rest @ 100 yards):
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1466900747.032254.jpg

I shot a couple times while standing and I hit a milk jug at 120 yards both shots. So the rifle is definitely more accurate than me...

Last edited:
That's the bane of bolt actions; you have to reset your sight picture every shot. Its inconvenient enough for normal shooters; try reaching over the rifle every round if you're a lefty.

T

Well I brought the A3 to the range earlier this afternoon. Went through a mix of handloads and PPU. The reloads were 44.5 gr of Varget under a Nosler 168 gr bullet - these are older reloads as I've since settled on 46 gr of IMR-4064 as my Garand load and now A3 load.

I still need to practice more. The trigger is decent but I can tell I'm pulling shots - I tried using the joint of my finger rather than the pad which seemed to help a bit.

Part of the problem is I can't cycle the bolt without bringing the gun down from my shoulder. So when I get it back up to my shoulder I'm kinda guessing where I held it before? I was also using a sling.

Anyway enough excuses lol, this 8" target is PPU (sandbag rest @100 yards):
View attachment 170579

8" target with reloads (sandbag rest @ 100 yards):
View attachment 170578

I shot a couple times while standing and I hit a milk jug at 120 yards both shots. So the rifle is definitely more accurate than me...

Nice... I'm no expert but verticle stringing shots are generally 2 things.
In consistent reloads or breath control.
Trigger control is key. The 1903a3 trigger is decent for a battle rifle. As long as no one messed with it.
Both mine have a nice smooth pull with a definite 1-2nd stage "feel" then just a nice snap on the 2nd stage.
Not like a match trigger but decent. Both mine run about 4.5 lbs.
My 1903a4 clone has a gritty trigger and often feels like there is no 1st stage. Still have not looked into it. I will gander it has some fresh park on the moving parts?
Now if I can get a 1903 with M16A2 sights and a K31 trigger I would be all giddy.

I will repeat what the better shot makers have said to me and help me improve.
Front sight focus,focus,focus. Sight picture has to be consistent.
Then trigger and breathing.
Do you use the sling correctly or hasty sling style.

Last edited:
My breathing was another thing I noticed. I eventually realized I need to exhale prior to pulling the trigger not hold my breath. That could totally explain the stringing. Inconsistent reloads? what did you mean by that? Not the ammo?

The trigger is decent. Similar to the Garand I would guess? Certainly not a K31 trigger. I would guess it's around ~5 pounds or so and not gritty.

Last edited:
My breathing was another thing I noticed. I eventually realized I need to exhale prior to pulling the trigger not hold my breath. That could totally explain the stringing. Inconsistent reloads? what did you mean by that? Not the ammo?

The trigger is decent. Similar to the Garand I would guess? Certainly not a K31 trigger. I would guess it's around ~5 pounds or so and not gritty.

As much as I like the M1 unless you do some work the M1 trigger is not that good vs the 1903/a3.
Hitting jugs at 100 yards is good shooting.

Back
Top Bottom