Interesting Springfield 1903A3-'04' sniper rifle, appears correct and unfired. Has 'Redfield Jr' scope base, but no scope or rings

I’m going with never issued, as it’s one of the last 130 built at Remington. The bolt is blued and there’s circular scratches from being in a safe for 30 years and not lubed probably. I cleaned the barrel today and the bore is pristine. Another odd thing looking at the ordinance bomb near the front sight is a hardness peen and the divot has a dot of red paint…First photo I posted.

Also quite odd the stock lacks most 04 ordinance stamps on the stock, but the metal parts have all the correct inspector stamps….and distinguishing 04 features.
My guess is either A4 marks where sanded or its not a A4 stock?
More pics

I’m going with never issued, as it’s one of the last 130 built at Remington. The bolt is blued and there’s circular scratches from being in a safe for 30 years and not lubed probably. I cleaned the barrel today and the bore is pristine. Another odd thing looking at the ordinance bomb near the front sight is a hardness peen and the divot has a dot of red paint…First photo I posted.

Also quite odd the stock lacks most 04 ordinance stamps on the stock, but the metal parts have all the correct inspector stamps….and distinguishing 04 features.

It may not have been issued in WW2 but there was a lot of conflicts and wars after 1945 so it makes no sense that a sniper rifle like that would sit in an armory unissued for all those years and then sold off later. The original bolt would have the black oxide finish but I can't tell from the angle if that's what yours has.

Last edited:
It may not have been issued in WW2 but there was a lot of conflicts and wars after 1945 so it makes no sense that a sniper rifle like that would sit in an armory unissued for all those years and then sold off later. The original bolt would have the black oxide finish but I can't tell from the angle if that's what yours has.
My bolt is black oxide I believe

Also hard to tell if the bolt handle is “correct”
Back in the day SA was as the nationals and unloaded surplus parts.

The Blued barrel is another , hmmm and I cant tell if there is old park in that front sight slot or not?

Also hard to tell if the bolt handle is “correct”
Back in the day SA was as the nationals and unloaded surplus parts.

The Blued barrel is another , hmmm and I cant tell if there is old park in that front sight slot or not?

Yeah John will need a closeup of the bend and he will know right away. The guy really needs to write a book or two while he's still sharp, it would be tragic to lose all of his knowledge.

Yeah John will need a closeup of the bend and he will know right away. The guy really needs to write a book or two while he's still sharp, it would be tragic to lose all of his knowledge.
Me personally I just want to know how it shoots!

Working on it. Before I shoot it I'd like to get it checked by a 1903 gunsmith any recommendations ? Metrowest

I think at most you'd just want to get the headspace checked, they didn't have issues with bad heat treatment or anything.

I think at most you'd just want to get the headspace checked, they didn't have issues with bad heat treatment or anything.

Yep. Check headspace and bore, then choot it, assuming everything else passes visual inspection.

@Rat187 , if you are in the Wachusett Mtn area or close- I have a .30-06 go no-go set if you don't.

Yep. Check headspace and bore, then choot it, assuming everything else passes visual inspection.

@Rat187 , if you are in the Wachusett Mtn area or close- I have a .30-06 go no-go set if you don't.
I think he’s down by Milford area?

I’ll offer my Foster go/no-go/field gauges by USPS if you get desperate, but there’s an excellent 1903 gunsmith that we all know from Pembroke if you don’t mind a drive.

PM me for his number if you want it. He did the work on my Smith Corona A3, my Springfield ‘03 and checked out my A1 sniper when I bought that in OH.

Also there are guys on the CMP forum who will check the serial number for a hit in the Springfield archives. If no hit, they'll give numbers above and below w/ descriptions to get an idea of the range. For example, someone has a rare 1903A3 National Match but the # isn't listed. If the number was in the middle of rifles made to NM specs, it's likely legit. If it's in the middle of a run sent to the field somewhere, probably a fake. Others probably know the details better than me, but that's the gist of it.

Also there are guys on the CMP forum who will check the serial number for a hit in the Springfield archives. If no hit, they'll give numbers above and below w/ descriptions to get an idea of the range. For example, someone has a rare 1903A3 National Match but the # isn't listed. If the number was in the middle of rifles made to NM specs, it's likely legit. If it's in the middle of a run sent to the field somewhere, probably a fake. Others probably know the details better than me, but that's the gist of it.

John checks that too, he has access to SRS.

Back
Top Bottom