• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Remington 1903A3!

I would not use electrolysis on that gun, its simply not that severe and I wouldn't want to risk damaging the finish (vinegar is acid)

I would not use electrolysis on that gun, its simply not that severe and I wouldn't want to risk damaging the finish (vinegar is acid)

This save electrolysis for rust removal.
Give it a good cleaning with the copper foam cleaning. Run patches until dry. Then a CLP or other protective oil until range day...Run a few dry patches and shoot away.

I run a fat front sight on any rifle I plan on shooting NRA/CMP high power matches.even with a 6 o'clock hold.

It's all what you like.

Try arm and hammer washing soda for electrolysis on rust. Works well.
Also not electrolysis will tend to turn your bore very dull and will expose every little pit that maybe well filled with copper from years of shooting

Last edited:

Yeah good point. I'm too lazy and cheap to try and make one of those electrolysis kits anyway[laugh]

Bill got back to me last night:

Dear Andrew, Yes, I am still making them. Please check the enclosed attachments. The letter explains what I produce and it gives pricing and shipping details. If you have any questions, just let me know. Thanks for your interest, Bill

If you can let me know where your group is at 100 yards, I can do the math and probably get you close to a good zero. I need to know that at 100 yards you are (for example) 6" high/low with an "E" sight blade on the rifle. The only other thing to check is to remove your front blade and measure it to be sure that it is an "E". I have seen this several times when a blade is marked, but it has been altered. This can really throw crap in the game as you try to figure out how to get a correct size blade for a good zero. So if you can provide this info I will check to see what you should need.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1463735995.279793.jpg

You can use anything that will disassociate in water to separate the cation and anion; salt, sodium or calcium carbonate, etc.

T

You can make 'laundry soda' by heating baking soda in an oven as well. You just need an electrolyte so current flows through it.

W
Bill got back to me last night:

Dear Andrew, Yes, I am still making them. Please check the enclosed attachments. The letter explains what I produce and it gives pricing and shipping details. If you have any questions, just let me know. Thanks for your interest, Bill

If you can let me know where your group is at 100 yards, I can do the math and probably get you close to a good zero. I need to know that at 100 yards you are (for example) 6" high/low with an "E" sight blade on the rifle. The only other thing to check is to remove your front blade and measure it to be sure that it is an "E". I have seen this several times when a blade is marked, but it has been altered. This can really throw crap in the game as you try to figure out how to get a correct size blade for a good zero. So if you can provide this info I will check to see what you should need.
View attachment 167742

What's the current pricing for the USMC sight cover? Thx...

I don't think the 75$ is for the hood.
The 1903 sight set is a new wide blade and a new aperture for the rear sight with the .100" aperture peep
IIRC the USMC front sight protector was 37$ shipped.

Also rule 19 states you can shoot with the sight protector installed...... some people will say it's not ...

Got the sight blade from Numrich and the quality seems to be pretty solid. The issue is that it is thinner than the original blade so it's very loose inside the base. Oh well I'll be ordering one from Bill...

Got the sight blade from Numrich and the quality seems to be pretty solid. The issue is that it is thinner than the original blade so it's very loose inside the base. Oh well I'll be ordering one from Bill...

You could carefully squish the base?
Like I said you could make a better sight blade yourself... bills blades are very very nice.
I will be ordering a,new sight from Bill also as I shoot more cast now than anything.
I need a much lower sight as for now I'm,on 650 mark to hit 200 yards.

Last edited:
Bill emailed me today letting me know that you shipped the front sight blade. Can't wait to try it out.

basically .008" change in sight height @ 100 yards will be 1MOA.
if you where shotting (aiming at bottom of 8" steel to hit it you would need about a 4 MOA change to hit center steel) if you have a E sight now a C sight would work very well. If you have a C now a A will be very very close.
Its also ammo related.
Its all good. at least the sight will be tall and it can easily be trimmed or filed down

I have thought to order several A .537" height from bill and modify as needed for my loads.

Last edited:
basically .008" change in sight height @ 100 yards will be 1MOA.
if you where shotting (aiming at bottom of 8" steel to hit it you would need about a 4 MOA change to hit center steel) if you have a E sight now a C sight would work very well. If you have a C now a A will be very very close.
Its also ammo related.
Its all good. at least the sight will be tall and it can easily be trimmed or filed down

I have thought to order several A .537" height from bill and modify as needed for my loads.

I was aiming like 8+ inches below my steel plate lol. So the A height should do the trick I'd imagine. But if not, as you said I can easily file it down.

Back
Top Bottom