1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

MA FFL's Heads UP, EOPS is sending out a letter with bad info.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GOAL C.M., May 24, 2011.

1. GOAL C.M.

GOAL C.M. Guest

EOPS/FRB Advisory Letter Update

July 8 Update
    GOAL continues to work with MA legislators to get this mess corrected. At our request, Representative Anne Gobi sent this letter to the secretary of EOPS. We look forward to resolution on this issue soon and will update as info develops.

We would like to thank Rep Gobi and all of the other legislators who are working with us to resolve these problems.

June 22, 2011 Update[/B]
    GOAL has been in communication with Representative Harold Naughton, House Chair of the Committee on Public Safety. He has called for a meeting with the Secretary of EOPS to explain the discrepancies in the letter. As soon as we are alerted to any legislative or agency response we will immediately notify our members.

Thanks

May 26, 2011

Earlier this week Gun Owners’ Action League was alerted by our members who had received a so-called advisory letter from the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security. This letter was unsigned and undated and was in regards to the current assault weapons and large capacity feeding device laws.

As GOAL stated in our initial alert on this matter, the letter was full of factual errors and provided very bad information regarding the laws in question. Upon receiving a copy of the letter and confirming the erroneous information contained it we immediately contacted our friends in the legislature. Both chairs of the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security and others were contacted by GOAL. The House Chair of the Committee, Harold Naughton told GOAL that he would be sending a letter to the agency asking that they appear before the Committee and explain the discrepancies in the letter.

GOAL also contacted the agency ourselves and on Wednesday afternoon we received a phone call stating the agency was conducting an “internal review” of the advisory letter. The Executive Director of GOAL spent some time going over the many concerns we had with the nature of the advisory and the misinformation contained in it. He also reminded the agency that they have no legal grounds to “interpret law” as they had done in the letter.

“Once again we have a government entity in Massachusetts that is seeking to establish laws that simply don’t exist,” said Jim Wallace Executive Director of GOAL. “Whether this is an intentional bully tactic to end run the legislative process or simple incompetence, neither is acceptable. In either case it is yet another clear example of the government not understanding the law or its own constitutional limits.”

GOAL will continue to investigate the matter and press the administration for an answer and hold them accountable. To see a copy of the advisory letter go to: http://www.goal.org/Documents/eopspg1.pdf

________________________________________________________________________________________

GOAL has been made aware that the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security, Dept. of Criminal Justice Information Services has sent out a letter to MA FFL's that has bad information.

This letter states the following incorrectly.

This is the law as it appears on the MA website

If you have received this letter, please let us know, we will be contacting EOPS shortly to resolve this error.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2011
  2. BE4TNUT

BE4TNUT NES Member

Is this stating that where it says "G.L. c. 150 s121" that is should read "G.L. c. 140 s121"?

What I don't understand is this part "may not be possessed, sold or transferred in the Commonwealth if the weapon was not lawfully possessed under a Massachusetts firearms license on September 13, 1994". Are they now trying to say you cannot legally own any "assault weapon" that was not in state prior to the AWB date?

3. SSShooter

SSShooter Member

I'm sure it's all just an honest mistake [thinking]

4. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor

Starksboro, VT (and sometimes Waltham. For now.)
    My shocked face. [thinking]

5. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer

Just got the letter in the mail. Also got the E-FA-10 notice announcing the "impending release". Jack.

6. GOAL C.M.

GOAL C.M. Guest

This is the part that is incorrect.
    There is no provision for this in the MA GL's

7. BE4TNUT

BE4TNUT NES Member

Ok sounds good. That is the part that was sticking out the most to me. Thanks for the quick clarification.

I agree with SSShooter's comment, I am sure it was an "honest" mistake... Our Government sure does make a lot of those...

8. GunGrey

GunGrey Banned

Ohhh better keep your dogs inside guys

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger NES Member

I'm quite sure that EOPPS is very well aware that a prosecution cannot be sustained under this interpretation of the law. They are attempting to intimidate dealers and individuals so as to create doubt and uncertainty around the possession and transfer of firearms deemed undesirable by the state.

10. They're trying to enforce and gain compliance with a ficticiuos law.

Kind of like, you know that bullshit law that all machineguns are illegal in Mass that so many believe so hardly anyone applies for the license?[rolleyes][rolleyes]

I don't believe for one minute that it was an honest mistake, I believe they are trying to gain compliance with a law that has never seen due process for ammendment through deliberate misinformation.

I can't wait to leave this forsaken state.[angry][angry][angry]

11. Smash05

Smash05 Member

Is this type of "guidence" usual for EOPS, or are they trying to endrun the MGL?

12. They did it with out of state ammunition dealers.....why would they stop there?

13. BE4TNUT

BE4TNUT NES Member

Yeah when I said I believe they probably made an honest mistake, it was full of sarcasm... couldn't find the sarcasm smiley though unfortunately.

14. Yes, I thought you were being sarcastic, I just wanted to vent a little and disclose their real intent.[wink]

15. drumenigma

drumenigma NES Member

This is a prime example of why the laws need to be changed. Even the folks enforcing them can't get them right.

16. GOAL C.M.

GOAL C.M. Guest

Bingo. You win the internet for today. [laugh]

17. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Dealer

Well, when you have an agenda to achieve . . . [thinking]

18. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Member

Sending an email to my state rep about this, the EFA10 debacle and a few other things that have been bothering me. No point bottling up the outcry in this little container called NES, as we so often do.

19. SSShooter

SSShooter Member

Hmm, maybe you're right. Frankly I don't think they even tried. The AG twists stuff to suit her fancy and in light of the EFA10, I'm not giving EOPS the benefit of the doubt.

20. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor

Starksboro, VT (and sometimes Waltham. For now.)
    Somehow, I have a difficult time using the word "honest" in the same sentence as almost any agency of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Oh, and here's your sarcasm, BE4TNUT. [​IMG]